Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (101 - 125)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Just say it don't be scared

"I don't believe in god". when they mention god, that's what I say. I say it as soon as god comes up in any way. If they persist, I tell them I don't discuss superstitions with people. Generally they leave me alone as soon as they realize I am not only not interested in, but actively hostile to, their beliefs.

I like that remark. I do not discuss superstitions with people.

I find it very difficult to tell people I am an atheist so I just usually don't. It is difficult for two reasons.

When you say you are an atheist, they will

1. Argue with you or try to convert you.
    Or
  2. Look at you/treat you differently.

I get that.

i am lucky in this way: i don't have to be anywhere it would matter if people treated me differently. i am disabled. i am old. i go to adult daycare because my alzheimer's-stricken guy won't go without me, and he needs it. it's a daycare connected with a jewish facility. the clientele is both jewish and not jewish. once in a long while one of them (they've become friends now but they have memory issues) will ask me if i'm jewish, and i say yes, because i am. there is one developmentally disabled client who occasionally mentions that she is catholic but i think it's because she feels a little surrounded; she is not trying to convert anyone. geez, mentioning something is okay! there was ONE new client recently who loudly sang praises to jesus ALL the time. it bothered the other clients and i don't know if she has been moved to another daycare or isn't feeling well or what, but i haven't seen her for a while. she is non compos mentis and is not trying to convert anyone; she's just happy and, well, christian. so it's a safe environment but sometimes gets interesting lol. the staff are not jewish and don't talk about religion spontaneously (but will discuss it thoughtfully if asked), though we have crafts projects based on the jewish (and other) holidays.

that's it, unless i go to the doctor, and the doctors don't push religion, even at methodist hospital, where my guy is at the moment. so i am VERY lucky this way and have nothing to lose by just speaking the truth. i don't wear a banner "hey world, i'm an atheist!" but i don't hide it either. if it comes up, there it is. i may or may not be the person to bring it up. it's not important to anyone i know. if i had a job with a christian company... well, that wouldn't happen anyway. it never did, my whole life.

that is not to say odd things don't happen. i won't try to list them all, but once in japan i was asked "oh, you're jewish -- what kind of christian is that?" another time i was at a christmas party (in america) at the home of a friend of a friend and it turns out they were ALL extreme christian evangelicals. they sincerely believe that the beach boys sat down with the devil and signed a contract. yes, THAT extreme. one of them, with whom i'd talked before and with whom i was friendly, had no idea that jews didn't believe in the divinity of jesus. she asked something that led me to understand that she didn't know this, so i explained it to her, adding, well, that's the great thing about america: we have freedom of religion here. you can be a christian and i can be a jew (that time i didn't mention atheism; my being a jew was shocking enough to her!) and neither of us is wrong. she frowned, thought about it, and said she disagreed with that. she never spoke to me again. guess what? HER LOSS!

g

The incredible thing is that they think it all means you know nothing about god. It was my studies that made me a non-believer.

I tend to use the short "I'm not a believer" and leave it at that. If they press the issue beyond that, I follow the maxim of "if you don't want to deal with the answer, don't ask the question" and expose them to some reality.

"God made me an Atheist, who are you to question his decision."

Hear, hear!

No. Say, "who are you to question HER decision?" That should get them!

I don’t unless I’m (rarely) asked. If I am asked, I just tell them. If they’re religious, and want to rngage with me, I refuse. I just tell them there’s no point as we’ll never agree. If they persist, I literally walk away.
But I’m lucky. The UK is a very irreligious country, so on the very rare occasions that I am asked, I usually only get the merest hint of a raised eyebrow. Most Brits are alleged to believe in god, but the vast majority of those simply don’t care enough to be bothered about what they believe, let alone what anyone else believes.
I feel for American atheists. It must be very hard sometimes.

I worry how much American Politics is steeped in religion. its almost a Theocracy like Iran

I don't feel any less less inclined to share the fact I am an atheist than religionists who choose to share their theism do.

Depends who's asking. The answer can range anywhere from "mind your own business" to "are we really getting into this AGAIN?" Mostly I just say "I'm not religious" and leave it at that.

Mostly, I say "Know what? I make it a rule to never, EVER discuss religion."

@LucyLoohoo - Also good for all but the closest family and friends.

From my experience religious people are so judgemental

I agree with you . Also they are old fashion and greedy.

I generally don't mention my atheism unless it's necessary.

It's interesting how invasive religion is in American lives. No family I know ever says grace. Even the older generations. It just isn't part of the Australian way of life. Most Aussies are indifferent or atheist. The majority now claim no religion. So the issue of Atheism rarely comes up.

We are a secular nation tolerant (mostly) of all beliefs.

Personally, I only bring it up if the subject comes up. People make assumptions on all sorts of things, including religion. If it doesn't come up, what do I care if they think I'm religious. I've actually found sometimes that it works in my favor, in that they get to know me before knowing I'm atheist. I've actually had someone, upon finding out I was atheist after a couple of years of assumptions, say with surprise, "But you're so moral." It led to quite an interesting conversation about the roots of morality without spirituality.

Point being, IMHO, it doesn't need to be brought up unless it comes up and is relevant to the conversation at hand.

I wear a shirt that says Atheist. The conversation is over before it happens.

I get a pretty good response if I bring it up in the middle of a noncombative and/or interesting conversation. I kinda compare it to hitting a bump on the road. When religious stuff comes up I'll say something like, "I don't do religion" or "I'm not religious at all". The worst reaction I've gotten is a people walking off or changing the subject.

By saying "I am Atheist".

I just don't say anything. Why do they need to know my business. But, if they bring it up I don't reinforce what they're saying and if they ask why or don't I believe in God then I have no choice and say "no, I believe in science"

That's how I do it.

Most of the religious will try to avoid you because they believe you can switch to a bad person any time since no god to watch you and no hill to scare you. Just keep it to yourself and they will figure it out from your discussions and opinions which will help them to see that you can be good for the sake of goodness and yourself .

“Here there comes a practical question which has often troubled me. Whenever I go into a foreign country or a prison or any similar place they always ask me what is my religion.

I never know whether I should say "Agnostic" or whether I should say "Atheist". It is a very difficult question and I daresay that some of you have been troubled by it. As a philosopher, if I were speaking to a purely philosophic audience I should say that I ought to describe myself as an Agnostic, because I do not think that there is a conclusive argument by which one prove that there is not a God.

On the other hand, if I am to convey the right impression to the ordinary man in the street I think I ought to say that I am an Atheist, because when I say that I cannot prove that there is not a God, I ought to add equally that I cannot prove that there are not the Homeric gods.

None of us would seriously consider the possibility that all the gods of homer really exist, and yet if you were to set to work to give a logical demonstration that Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, and the rest of them did not exist you would find it an awful job. You could not get such proof.

Therefore, in regard to the Olympic gods, speaking to a purely philosophical audience, I would say that I am an Agnostic. But speaking popularly, I think that all of us would say in regard to those gods that we were Atheists. In regard to the Christian God, I should, I think, take exactly the same line. ”

Bertrand Russell

Simply put, I tell my Christian neighbors, and living in the Bible belt means lots of Christian neighbors; allows me to affirm I am a FREE THINKER. I allow them to express their views first, and then I say; “now that you have communicated your principles, here are my opinions on Christianity.” Thus, this is what I believe.

I don't feel compelled to tell most people anything unless it comes up. I'm open to discussing belief systems with anyone who seems to have a curious and open mind. Otherwise if they ask I tell them I'm a practicing equestrian. That often gets me a Blank Stare, but it's true that I have a horse, and most horses I know have better ethics and are better company overly religious people tend to be.

I sometimes tell people that I am a Pastafarian. For info, google "Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster" ... lol

I just allow a new relationship/friendship to develop first. For the most part, religion isn't something that's discussed immediately upon meeting someone. When or if it does come up I am always honest, but also make it known that I respect their freedom of choice. If that ends the relationship...it was never a real friendship anyway. I have lost many "friends" this past year between my religious and political views 🙂

What about those people (we all have met lots of them) who are all "praise God", etc. within the first few minutes of meeting them?

It isn't a bomb to drop on a first date... Or is it? Why not be up front? "Here is who I am. Take it or leave it. Love it or shove it."

That way, nobody feels like they wasted their time, and nobody gets their heart broken.

I say, "I'm an atheist" and no one cares because I am English

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.