Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (126 - 150)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It depends on the situation. Think about it as a combat sitituation and be strategic. There are times when it could hurt your job, your family or your kids in school. etc. This is the world we live in.

Say it like you are saying "I ride a bike"

An Atheist without religion is like a fish without a bicycle

In plain English

Tell them youre a Jedi and the Metaclorians fired all of the gods.

Every time I have to deal with this they assume I'm an old man who just never knew anything about the "good news." Sometimes even telling them that you were once a preacher doesn't even work. They assume there is something "new" that I must have missed. Many coming to my door with their message even want to tell me of sunsets and trees, etc. God works in hysterical ways!

"I am an atheist."

Ditto I am an American Atheist leader

I try not to bring it up. Everyone tbat I know or meets claims to be a "good vhristian:. At my place of employment a person that brought god into every conversation became so annoying that I told her that I was an Atheist so that shed stay away.She spread it throughout the building and the harassment began...everyone that came near began talking about tbeir church or relivion and some invited me to church..lol..I then poined out that all of the "christians" in the building smoked & drank or used drugs- destroying gods temple,were living in sin or had children with people they werent married to and many had a criminal history and most couldnt pass a background check... and me,the Atheist had none of those issues therefore I'd stay on my own..

I'm open about my atheism. I just say, "I'm an atheist." Most people don't care. The people that do care? Well, I don't associate with them.

I simply say my parents were jewish and my beliefs are personal.

Bible belt here too over in Oklahoma. It usually depends on whether I feel like pissing them off or not but that's mostly because I like to argue. There's some major shock value involved when you tell someone you're an atheist minister.

If they ask, "secular" is my response. I don't want to dwell on it because it doesn't matter to me.

Boldy

I have never used the word "Atheist" to describe myself. I usually tell people they don't want to know my beliefs, or I give them a copy of Small Gods, by Sir Terry Pratchett, and tell them it is basically summed up in there.

Unless it comes into conversation or they try and convert me , I don't . It's nothing to do with them .

That depends on the circumstances and the setting. Most of the time I don't bother. However, if they are pushy, I am very clear that I reject their beliefs and they need to back off quickly because I won't be treated with disrespect or disdain. For example, I went to visit a patient in a nursing home and encountered their minister leaving the room. The asked about my "personal relationship with jesus" and were quite pushy. After patiently explaining that my relationship with jesus was none of their business, I finally asked them to pretend that they were actually professional and to shut up about my beliefs as they were crossing way too many personal and professional boundaries. If they continued I would be taking action to have them banned from speaking to any staff members.

If I am asked to attend a service or participate in prayer outside of supporting a patient, I simply say that I do not share their beliefs and I will not participate. I do have a practice at work, I am a hospice social worker, of pointing out that this is a secular organization and I won't allow them to make it anything else. Prayer in meetings is not acceptable as they can pray on their own time, not on mine. I am pleased that it is less of an issue than it used to be. I even managed to become friendly with the Southern Baptist who was our spiritual care person because he was wise enough to understand that he didn't have a strangle hold on truth.

I don't unless I am asked, its no one else business, if they say something like 'oh thats a shame! I just walk away .

I just tell them.

Start out with I'm not religious and work up to 'no god.' My Christian friends I like very much and am leery of telling them. Maybe I'll get caught on camera at a Skepticon or something. Let them react apart from me.

I just tell them I am an atheist. Not gonna sugar coat it!

ParkS Level 4 Feb 12, 2018

I generally don't bring it up first but when that does come up I reply that I am not religious or non-theistic or have an evidence based worldview. Many listen respectfully but it is too far outside their comfort zone. There is rarely a second meeting after that conversation. I use those terms on dating app profile, too. Unfortunately, the term atheist has a very negative connotation.

Usually I'm very unapologetic and concise about it. There's no reason to hide it from anyone. UNLESS, that person is a family member of someone I'm dating. That's the only time I'll be on eggshells about it and only if I think it would cause a lot of trouble for the person I'm with to be outed to their family like that.

I use the term "non-believer" instead of atheist. Growing up in the bible belt, most are inculcated that atheists are evil. The non-believer doesn't carry the same connotation. Easier to strike up a conversation about non-belief.

I don't- I tell them I'm an Existentialist. It is interesting to see the puzzled look on their faces when I say that. They had their arguments ready if you said atheist, however the former they do not know how to handle.

Proud Existentialist here🙂

Same way I tell people about anything, Truth and then they deal with it. NOt me

EMC2 Level 8 Feb 5, 2018

I do not discuss religion or other choioces with people. They should not ask. If they have the balls, then I just say happily I go to my church, mother nature, and bless her everyday.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.