Agnostic.com

72 7

Does age matter to you when it comes to love or dating?

Follow up questions: Does age play a part in what you look for in a partner? Also do you feel a wider age gap poses issues?

BohoHeathen 8 July 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

72 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Age has never been an issue for me. Connection matters much more. My husband is 14+ years older than I am. We have been together for over 18 years.

I don't think that is that big of a deal, but yes I do think that it can come with problems, such as people being at different points in their life. This can also come with people of the same age as well, but I think less often.

Yes and Yes. I only date people very close to my age. Studies show that men who have romantic partners 16 years younger than they are live longer than men with partners the same age.

But cougar women who marry younger men die much earlier than women who marry within a year of their own age.

Men live longer when they marry younger spouses. Why don't women? [theguardian.com]

This is a recurring question. A person much younger than me would have to be the one pursuing since I would automatically assume she was too young for me. I tend to gravitate toward women around my age. That being said, I’ve noticed several 60+ women who I find myself attracted to.

I’d say it’s more about life experience, rather than age, when it comes to maturity and understanding. Age can be a factor in that. And based on my experience, it has been the case. Not to say correlation is necessarily causation, but I try to keep it within the 5 year range. Give or take a couple more/ less.
Wider gaps does seem to pose issues more than not.

Yes and yes. I've never had success with dating anyone more than 10 years younger. Seems appealing at first but I think many of them are out for money and / or a dad for their kids... I don't like dating women older than me. I get along best with women about 7 years younger, empty nesters or about to be or child-free...

There has to be a chemical / physical connection as well as an intellectual connection. Large age gaps tend to surface generational differences as well as different levels of life experience and wisdom.

But hey, whatever works for you.

No it doesn't, as long as it is legal ?

I would like to think that age difference doesn’t matter , but really it does... but I also think it depends on the people a lot!

Yes, it matters to me, in a sense that someone younger would likely want a faster pace to enjoy life (going out, having fun etc). If I cannot keep up with the pace then it's not fair for the younger person. On the other hand, if both have the same interests then age becomes less relevant but still within certain margin. Of course every story is different and unique.

It does matter some, but not a great deal.

Yes.

Coldo Level 8 July 3, 2018

It absolutely matters to me. I don't want a strange dynamic where someone has a load more life experience than me; I'll end up looking daft and naive just because I'm young. I'm sure this becomes less of a problem later in life. But I'm not a fan of having a power dynamic like that in a relationship.

Nope, not at all. There could be issues sure but issues can arise from many other sources. I have experience with very large age gaps.

No,what about you.

Quick answer, no, it doesn't. We all have our preferences. While age represents the amount of time you have been alive, I feel you can have another age label in reference to your mindset. You just need to find someone with a mindset age similar to yours.

Yes, it does to me.

Age doesn't matter. Its where you both are in life. One may be quite settled and likes the quieter tranquil side of life and the other might be up for continuous socializing amongst others etc.

If you are both patient with each other and are accepting without conditions then age doesn't matter imho.

According to Gail Sheehy's book, where one is in life is likely to change at the 10-year mark, which would result in "where one is in life" becoming different from one's partner resulting in divorce. I cannot remember which 10-year segment of time she said it happens, but at some point, a person will come to question the choice they made as to a mate and it seems to me that a significant difference in age would exacerbate that. Note: My second wife was 12 years younger (she pursued me) than myself. I observed her question her lifestyle of married with three children (when she hit thirty) and could relate it to Sheehy's thesis. She pined for her previous life of promiscuity, drugs, and alcohol and eventually returned to that lifestyle. But do not weep for me, I graduated college at 43 and moved on without her. I am now 75 and have been married to my 77 year-old wife for about (?) 25 years.

It does. I think 10 years on either side of my own age is fine, but anything more would be awkward for different reasons. Issues that would arise with younger than that are obvious. With older it begins to look like you're only with them for the life insurance... lol

"Passages" by Gail Sheehy would seem to suggest there are potential problems if the age difference puts the two persons in two different ten year groups. In short, she contends that the interests and motivations change as one passes from 20 years old to 30 years old to 40 years old and if the other person is not in that same group, their different interests and motivations will likely cause dissonance.

Yes, it definately does for me as I am just 21 and I this I will only date someone with 3-4 years of gap on either side.

It does to them & since the current popular trend is generational based that's the way it flies, people see numbers before all other criteria predominantly.

I am dating a woman 8 years older than me. It wasn’t what I was looking for but I am very happy I’ve met her. I am 61 and was looking for someone between 55 and 63. She’s amazing. I am very active and she kicks my ass.

jab60 Level 6 July 3, 2018

Not at all. I've met some wonderfully mature 20, 30, and 40-somethings, and some incredibly immature 50 and 60-somethings. Connections is what is about for me.

In general age matters and yes, a large gap can be problematic. Specifics can vary though.

I think age does not matter at all

Esse Level 3 July 3, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121260
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.