Agnostic.com

13 1

What would a world without violence be like?

What would you do, that you currently can't or wouldn't do?

Josephine 7 July 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nothing l can think of.

If that includes sexual violence and abuse...and abductions etc then I would allow my little girls to play ouside for longer and with less supervision. I would love them to have that freedom..without the constant worry...

The human heard would become genetically weaker. Those with an over abundance of testosterone would probably breed faster and ultimately would overwhelm the more analytically gifted. We would eventually become a race of musclebound idiots, slamming weights around Planet Fitness all day and engaging in mating rituals all night. Like Jersey Shore without the fist fights.

Define ''violence," please? When animals kill to eat...is that ''violent?" Wars are, certainly but violence is committed one-on-one also. Is that what you mean? No crime?

action moives would be underwhelming.

Humans would have to have been obliterated for there to be no violence...animals are not that kind of violent

Xena Level 6 July 4, 2018

Non-existent! Animals kill for survival. Even nature lashes out with some major violence that either kills or strengthens things in its path.

If you mean without human violence towards other humans then it would be like a tribe, people would work together for the needs of the individual within the community. There would be far more hand crafted items and fresh produce if we encouraged cooperation rather than competition.
In order for violence to cease people need to work more towards empowering others.
We have so many groups fighting for their own rights instead of uniting for equal rights. If we want our voices heard then we need to learn to listen to the voices of others. I simply do not foresee this ever happening. Too much money being made from wars.

That is just not possible, the human animal is too emotional. Anger is what drives violence, if that anger can be channeled properly we can lessen violence but it cannot be completely eliminated. No point in expending energy in thinking of what can never be.

"The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were." ~ John F. Kennedy

"There are those who look at things the way they are, and ask why... I dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~ Robert Kennedy

@dare2dream Yes I go along with these aspirations the Kennnedy’s espoused. I too have principles and ideals , but realistic ones. The question posed was about a world without violence. I was just pointing out that that prospect , wonderful as it would be was unlikely to happen, but we should still strive to try to make it less violent even if we cannot completely eliminate it due to our inherent human natures

Void of religion. Name one conflict on this planet not being fought in the name of god.

I think most wars are economic. Religion is just used as a way to get other people to fight for a cause that doesn't benefit them economically, like an ancient trade route. No one would be willing to die for Exxon's right to drill for oil today especially if a foreign government owned entity is already drilling there and selling it to us anyway.

Violence exists even outside of the humanity, it just has a higher degree of honest need behind it. Spend some time in natural sciences. Watch some nature films following wild animals. Even going into micro biology you can see cells absorbing or destroying other cells. You will see.

AmyLF Level 7 July 4, 2018

That is different from human violence, they do it as a matter of survival.

@Marionville The original poster might wish to specify the different types then. Violence is violence.

@AmyLF Yes that is true, I may have just made the assumption that it was human violence because we are really talking about our own beliefs and behaviour in this site and I’m afraid we can never stop the violence in nature as it is a matter of survival for them. We can however strive to be more caring towards each other and not show such cruelty to other species, I’m sure we agree on that.

@Marionville Aah, see I cannot seem to disconnect myself from the rest. No matter what any of us do we are connected and affected by nature on a whole so for me life includes that too.

Human beings can and should transcend its brutal nature. That is what we humans are supposed to be doing. Rising above brutality.

@dare2dream One could only hope. I know I busted my ass to do just that. Unfortunately with life being as it is, sometimes violent and brutal is all we have left. I don't like it and everything else possible is tried before I resort to that myself but sometimes nothing else works. People...

Nonexistent. Earth is born from violence.

Undeveloped. Sadly I think we need a little violence to galvanize societies. Can't make omelettes without breaking eggs

@Josephine
Yep. Really.

@Josephine not condoning violence, simply that it seems to have a place in our psyche.

We don't need violence to galvanize societies.
We need empathy, compassion and humanism.

@dare2dream history right up to this very moment disagrees with you

@Flettie : Insanity is defined by doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:122136
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.