Agnostic.com

39 7

Do you celebrate 4th of July or is it just another ordinary day to you?

EmeraldJewel 7 July 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

39 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Really all depends how it falls , during the week it becomes just another day for me , i work the next day usually

It tends to be a day of introspection for me. I wonder at the people looking at 'the pretty lights' and listening to the explosions, and I wonder just how many realise that each one going off represents people dieing. Sorry. I get a bit moody during any holiday where people eat too much, drink too much, and make a lot of noise. (I guess that's all of them.)

Today is just a regular day because I have to work tomorrow, but I'll celebrate this weekend

Qiru Level 6 July 4, 2018

Juat another day with a lot of noise!

Right now, it's a giant pain in my ass.
Stupid fucking neighbors are blowing off fireworks and the dogs are losing
their minds.
I hate this fucking "holiday".

The vet had told me to give some benadryl to calm the pets. We do not have a lot of booms going on. I am not overly concerned about my dogs being scared. I would not mind if they ate the one neighbor though.

Ikr! I’m over at family’s house right now and here was this dog next door crying cause it literally sound like world war 3 out here!

@EmeraldJewel Poor puppy.

Just like any day should be a reason to spend time with people that do not define you.

It is a paid day off, nice that it comes in the middle of the week this year. And I've just hung out at home, so just another day, albeit productive. I don't care for the fireworks and the kids were busy with other stuff.

I just rolled up the flag. It was waving in the breeze all day. In my little hamlet, I am the only one putting out a flag on Independence Day. I felt like drawing a skull and crossbone on it, but could not find the black marker. No taxation without repreentation, dudes!

These days, it's just another day off for me. I don't even put out the flag on this day anymore--ever since you know who is in the White House. In my opinion there's nothing to celebrate.

Dito.

I call it the Farce of July. It's just another day. I'm not big on celebrating anniversaries of any type. Might explain why I'm divorced, ha ha!

yeah i spent my fourth cleaning doing housework and taking care of disabled family. way past caring about fireworks.

Just another day but answering this question does bring back a few memories:

A parade at Ft. Leonard Wood where I met a guy wearing strange pants - - he had a large part of his butt cheek removed because of a brown recluse spider bite while on bivouac:

Many performances playing Sousa marches and "patriotic" works in a community band. . .

and a night in Devils Lake where I listened to the fireworks from my bedroom because the mosquitoes were just too bad to go outside.

I worked for 12 hours; so it wasn't really anything special.

JimG Level 8 July 4, 2018

Yes and no, I think. I'm originally from Massachusetts, so the 4th of July has a certain amount of home state feeling to it, seeing as that's where the whole thing started.

I also sort of like the 4th of July because I'm the reigning King of the Introverts, and most retail operations are still open. So if I need to run a few shopping errands like I did today, the stores are all open, and I don't have to rub elbows with many of my fellow humans.

No, I don’t. There is a thin line between patriotism and jingoism. That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t go to a 4th of July party.

I pray for all those lighting fireworks be immediately rapchurred. And thereby live, like, forever. Doing mostly nothing. I know all who get there, deserve that.

And of course, the planet would be much better with those few hundred millions being gone within seconds.

Just another day. But if I have nothing going on and there’s food, why not? No need to be patriotic/ nationalist to enjoy.

I'm puzzled by the fascination people have with fireworks - I see hundreds of people around me dropping a few hundred bucks on these things, just to literally burn it all up in an hour or less. For much less, there's plenty of organized, professionally constructed fireworks displays all around.

Of course, I live just a miles from Disneyland and can see the display from the sidewalk outside my apartment every day of the year.

Another day. A little noisier, but just another day.

@Sheannutt It sounds like small arms fire here.

@Sheannutt I am in Texas. It could very well be small arms fire.

@Sheannutt It's a myth, except for the bullshit. ?

@Sheannutt It seems to be getting deeper all the time, but l have gotten used to the smell.

@Sheannutt But here they are proud of it.

@Sticks48
...and the prouder they get, the louder they get. I'm from Texas, too. So I know how that goes.

@Sheannutt It finally stopped here. It is peaceful again.

@farmboy2017 When l lived in Taos we could tell the people from Dallas as soon as they walked in the door.

@Sheannutt Maybe the revolution has srarted.

@Sheannutt l don't blame you.

@Sheannutt When l was younger l loved the city. I have lived in the country since the early 90's and l like it.

@Sheannutt Same here.

I am from a small central Illinois town and remember parades, ice cream socials, street dances and fireworks, and I have always loved it. I read the Declaration of Independence every 4th of July. This year, I feel very sad about what has happened in our country since Trump is president, and destroying everything good about our country. I just stayed home, and my daughter and son in law came for dinner. We didn't talk about it. A very dark time in America.

I'm with you on the you know who thing. We can't let him win. I like to hang out with lots of Democratic volunteers. It feels so good. I do what I can to help my favorite candidate win. She defeated all 5 men who ran against her. And she's brand new with running for office. Many new ladies running for office in America. That makes me feel good and hopeful. You can help them win. : )

It's nice time to spend time with some family.

I thought it was funny that the majority of songs they played at our town's fireworks celebration were actually protest songs or critical of the US in some way ("Pink Houses", "Born in the USA" , etc.). I mean, just because it has "America" in the lyrics doesn't make it a patriotic song, you dumb asses. Just shows once more the lack of intellectual awareness amongst the " 'Mur-ika" contingency...

I agree. Whoever chose "Born in the USA" for a fireworks display apparently is not listening to the lyrics other than the chorus.

I do not and actually hate this holiday. Friggin rednecks shooting off shit since Saturday including M80's! Makes me jump Every time!

Its what ever happens that day. I've spent 800 dollars once on food, drinks, and fireworks. It was fun. I watch tv now and be thankful and grateful.

It's an ordinary day, because I'm not an American who thinks that the whole world revolves around them.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:122806
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.