Agnostic.com

23 6

I have to admit I'm a little disappointed with how many people are on here talking about religion. I thought we were on here to talk about everything else, with like minded people

CollinOzment 4 Jan 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This is pretty much my only outlet to talk freely about religion, so I'm enjoying that here. As time goes by, that will surely evolve for me.

Ya, same here. It's the best one I've come across so far to engage with like minded and friendly people

This is only our 3rd month and we're evolving the way we are showing posts to steer towards the more positives aspects of community. One way we're considering is to have the posts be more tailored to the members (e.g., if you want to chat about religion, you see more religion oriented posts, etc). Thoughts?

Admin Level 8 Jan 2, 2018

I for one, think you're doing fine - there's a whole list of categories !

You're doing great! Thanks for creating this!

Please don't "taylor/refine" what I see....what if I miss out on a topic or idea that i didn't know i would like it better yet piss me off and make me use my brain

Welcome to the community. There are lots of posts about things unrelated to religion. In fact, I just posted a link about ten new year's resolutions from philosophers (though it's not published yet, as there's a review process it has to go through first). You're not the first person to express dismay at people talking about religion but, honestly, it's the one topic that ties us together irrespective of age, gender, ethnic background, culture, economic status, and so forth. I'd be rather surprised if there weren't mostly posts about religion — poking fun at it or highlighting its harmful role in politics, human rights, public education, etc. There's a search tool on the "discuss" page (https://agnostic.com/discuss/) where you can search post text, tags, even comments. I'd recommend searching for topics you find interesting and ignoring the posts you don't enjoy. And, of course, you can always start your own discussion posts on topics that interest you.

To be a member of a web site titled "Agnostic.com" and not talk about religion seems weird to me, IMHO. It's a common interest, so folks will engage in conversation about it. It's like a support group for ex-religious people in some ways.

You make a great point. Atheism and Agnosticism have one thing in common... their relationship to "God" and it's existence. Not fly fishing, or Vodka, or even leather bondage.

It is indeed a fascinating subject. I could talk about it all day without every being convinced of any of it's belief 'mindsets'

We talk about alot of random things, but I personally really appreciate having a place I can be vocal about my religious issues. I think many posts start that way because we don't have somewhere else to talk about it. However, @silvereyes posts a daily question which I look forward to and as Admin has already responded, this site is still growing quickly and they pay attention, so hopefully it will get better for you.

same here, @silvereyes clever young lady

Indeed, @CollinOzment, @SilverEyes is a jewel and keeps the conversations lively so if you follow her you'll see lots of diverse conversations going on.

What would you like to talk about Collin? And while we're at it... mind if I tell you about our Lord and Savior the Flying Spaghetti Monster? 😀

Oh no, not the Spaghetti Monster .... 😉

He's not a monster, he's just misunderstood. Hasn't Disney taught you anything? 😉

You mock 😛

You'll find most of us here are a thinking bunch - we think about lots of things - with religion being one of them.

Welcome to the community. We talkabout everything under the sun-You'll see all the topics when you hit post.

I suggest that it would help to let others know what you're looking for. I looked at your bio blurb and learned nothing that would help me understand what it is you're seeking. I'm a rather well rounded guy with experience and interest in a multitude of areas, but if you don't broach a subject, how would I know? Obviously I don't hold any truck with ESP.

I'm sure that you will find people on here who will gladly chat you with on topics of mutual interest.

I can talk about my (lack of) religion all day long but I can discuss many other things too. I am particularly happy discussing Maths stuff, mainly Number Theory and Probability & Statistics. I think on agnostics.com there will be a lot of stuff about religion but hey I'm totally new on this site and I will happily discuss lots of other stuff too.

There is a lot of discussion about religion and jousting points for those that encounter evangelists on a daily basis. Lots of philosophy along those lines. I came here under a similar premise as you as at this stage of my life I don't have a lot of questions or conquests along these lines. I have stayed for the ride and am getting an education in the process.There are many intelligent people from all walks of life here. As others have said you can throw out any topic and people will respond as they wish. Look at the topic lists and start reading there if you want. You will see people with similar interests and you can follow and interact with them more. Welcome to the group. Dip your toes in the water. I think you will find it fine.

Sooorrrrryyyyy

Understand your reaction. It gets better. Find people like yourself and follow them. You get their posts as soon as they make one.

In all fairness, religion is all around us, like water to a fish. It's in our government, it's in our laws, and it's currently attacking our Constitution. It's flying planes into buildings, burning up buildings, killing doctors, attacking women's right to healthcare, going after the LGBTQ community, passing laws making it illegal for some people to pee in a public restroom, trying to censure what news and information is allowed to be disseminated... And that's just the top of the list. It goes even further than that. So it makes sense that there's going to be a lot of talk about religion.

Start some nonreligious topics. We'll chine in on pretty much anything!

Zster Level 8 Jan 2, 2018

I noticed that as well and it bothered me too...but I realize now that this is their way of working through the guilt associated with letting all of that go. I just avoid those posts.

You need to remember that those of us on here range from the point of recently becoming a nonbeliever to being a life long one. My first college degree was from a Lutheran college and I took 5 of the religion classes there so I can both answer and joke about the things I learned there. I gave up religion 12 years ago but because of my learning I know I will always have those neurons that contain my biblical learning.

Agnostic: a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God.

Atheist: a person who lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.

Religion: the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods.

So, as you can see, the very name implies that this is EXACTLY what we're talking about.

I bet you will never find a discussion group for which no member fly fishes that has discussions about fishing. Welcome to Irony City.

But seriously, most of the religion discussion is about defending from its more dangerous aspects and people.

I noticed the same thing too. It's like, hey I hate religion, what about you.
and I decided to reply to some of their questions like this one.
You can sit here and think what God is doing or what God wants to do, I'll be busy comptemplating if we live in a artificial universe, a matrix of sorts and I'll be busy thinking how can I write programs into this universe to make women give me blow jobs, making my penis longer. Maybe I can write a program that floats large boulders and build my own pyramid.
But no, let's dwell on a fictious God and what this dude did thousands of years ago.

Well I joined here to get to have more atheists in my life as the dating aspect of this site is what caught my interest. If that was your goal, as was mine, good luck with that.
Also know that if you reverse image yourself at some point it's going to come straight back here, so dogspeed with complete anonymity. o.@ /yes I'm in a mood

I do agree to a point though some of it is relevant and the world is one where we are the minority.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12290
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.