Agnostic.com

15 1

Whats your stance on energetic practices like qi gong?

DavidRose 4 July 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Honestly, I've never heard of 'Qi' before, I'll have to look that up.

I see no evidence, I have no interest. I'm willing to change my opinion, should credible evidence be presented. I have learned to be.calm, present in the moment, and focused on what's important to me. Pseudoscience is only important to me for the harm it does to those who succumb to its extraordinary claims.

Woo is packaged in many forms, but the ingredients are always various quantities of woo. That said, the placebo effect works wonders on those who buy the product. Upshot: Believers benefiting from the belief. What does that mean? Well, it doesn't mean that none of it works to some extent. Sometimes it works all the way. It just never works for me, or anyone who comes close to thinking as I do. I am the extreme skeptic (not to be confused with pessimist) who questions all things. I can't buy the product and I consider that is my loss in some respects. I do mind control, but I'm aware that's what I'm doing and it's also how I know the other is my loss to some extent. On the other hand, I am sure that feeling the benefits of the placebo is not quite a full step removed from believing in the supernatural.

Don't know. There is something real but I don't know what Qi is. I'm guessing nerve awareness pathway impulse control.

I guess I always think of these as "body awareness" and not so much energetic, although since we are made of energy it isn't as though I have negativity toward the words "energetic practices". Whenever you slow down and watch each movement you become hyperaware and that is a good thing to make you feel in control of your mind and body.
I do want to comment on Reiki: yes a lot of people think of it as woo woo but I think it is more that a lot of people who want to get Reiki have a need to have someone personally concentrate on them within their their personal space as a lot of people out there in this world are lonely and this may be all the personal attention they get, sort of like getting a mani and pedi.

It does work. Qi gong has lots of evident success over thousands of years. The Chi or life force is the same as prana in the yoga tradition which I have practiced for 37 years. The flow of chi is the prime goal in acupuncture which again is thousands of years old . These disciplines are based on scientific observation and what didn't work was rejected.

Belief in energy flow through the body seems like it needs faith for it to work. There are definitely physical/mental benes from the activity and meditation.

I'm a martial arts instructor and studied Tai Chi as a means to rehab a hip injury in my 20s. It worked well for that. I did meditation as well and that was very useful. Overall, I had a good experience.

I have to say that the "energy work" Things are a bunch of fiction. Mostly psychosomatic responses - positive thoughts will do a lot for a person's well being. Tai Chi has slow movements that can be used as low impact physical therapy. Meditation allows a person to become hyper aware of their own thoughts as well as feeling the elements of the body functioning. That is an extremely useful tool. The problem is that this other fiction is inserted into it that can be demonstrably disproved, yet it persists out of tradition.

Reiki is some next level fiction - again, staying positive meny is is own kind of medicine. Don't lie to yourself in order to get it, however. Love being alive and know how lucky you are to have a busted ankle.

I hope that's useful.

As exercise or as supernatural energy field manipulation with no evidence of any energies whatsoever?

Feet about two feet apart, knees lightly flexed, shoulders relaxed, head balanced.

I think it's a good thing to do. Its very light exercise, it keeps the body mobile, and it helps with control. I've done mostly tai chi in the past, they're quite similar.

I think it makes sense and is helpful.

I try to have an open mind, but honestly can't get on board. I have to say the effect is probably psychosomatic. In my case, having tried it in the past I can say absolutely had no personal benefit for me.

The data on such things is sketchy at best. Try it for yourself. Keep a log. see what it does for you.

Ive been getting reiki and practicing qigong for a year now. Ive had mix results but positive leaning. For example. Im nursing a sprained ankle and had reiki on day 2 of it and today (day 3) im walking without a cane and my swelling is down about 1/2 even though i was on my feet for 75% of day 1and2. Im no doctor but ive sprained it 3 times. Never had a recovery like this. shrugs.

Some people seem to enjoy it, and maybe it works for them — if so, good for them. But I feel that any benefits from it are likely to come through mindfulness and positive thinking, rather than mysterious energies.

Yup, I'm a stone-cold scientist.

iyo whats the difference in mindfulness/positive thinking and etherical/universal energy?

@AmiSue I'm sure David Rose would disagree there!

@DavidRose Mindfulness, as I understand it, is basically applying your mental faculties to be 'in the moment' and is a way to improve your emotional state as you are focussing upon the stuff you'd normally miss with a busy or distracted mind. It's useful for overcoming anxiety, obsessive thoughts and compulsions, plus it can bring a sense of well-being.

In this description, terms like 'universal energy' introduce an unnecessary extra mystery to something we already have a fairly good handle on.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:122913
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.