Agnostic.com

28 7

Can you "read" a person?

I can pick up a sense about someone, by the way they act or what they say (or don't say), but I'm not a mind-reader and don't know what they're feeling unless they tell me.

Growing up it was almost expected that I was supposed to "know," so I was always guessing and living in anticipation of everything, and of course if I read someone incorrectly it was my fault. And it kind of screwed with my head because I thought that's what people did, so I learned not to say anything, but then I would also be disappointed when people weren't "reading" me and didn't act the way I liked. And if they were direct with me, it would freak me out because I wasn't used to that, either.

Never really learned to say what I felt - or even that I had a right to say it - until I was an adult, and even then it was a learning curve. I've even been called on it a few times by trusted friends, who make me feel safe enough about it to acknowledge, "oh yeah, you're right." As I've gotten older I think I've gotten much more bold in my directness, and in doing so I'm also noticing 1) I'm more and more comfortable with other people who are direct, 2) more aware of how much people aren't that way, and 3) more aware how some are taken aback by what I say. And I'm not even saying anything unkind, just speaking straight.

Makes it so much easier though than to try and "read" each other.

bleurowz 8 July 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

One I like to use is do they like dogs

Exactly. Don't like dogs, don't trust you!

Yes you can, specially if they have a lot of tattoos !!

Or by the books they read.

I've experienced that a great deal myself. It's more of an intuition type of thing instead of actually "reading" someone's thoughts and emotions. Being a strong empath allows that to happen. You take in people's energies, whether they're good or bad, and circumvent that by getting a broad understanding of what they're feeling from what they say and do. It's a blessing and a curse though. Before getting a good handling on dealing with all this, it's not to take in negative energy and it affect your own mood. With time and patience, eventually it just becomes second nature, and it really shines when people come to you for help. Having an understanding of knowing where someone is coming from does wonders on providing them advice and the like. That last part was kind of off topic to what you were saying, but still haha. Being able to possess such talents aren't all that uncommon, it's just kind of strange trying to tell someone that doesn't know what it's like how it all works.

I totally relate to what you are saying. I have come to the realization that I may have empathic qualities. Not something that I would have chosen for myself, non the less it is what it is and I try to use it for good...sometimes much to my discomfort.

@patchoullijulie Well you can't necessarily pick whether you're instilled with such qualities though. It's a card you're dealt, so you have to deal with the good and the bad that comes with it. That's all you can do, is learn how to block out negativity and use it to better yourself and others.

@Hollowbound Agreed.

Yeah. We rely on reading people and hide behind polite-ese far too much IMO. Open communication is a skill that has to be learned and it can be scary to lay out who you are warts and all. I think it makes for much better relationships and mental health.

This is different, but after I get to know somebody, I can usually paint a pretty accurate profile of that individual. I discourage people from asking me to do it for them, because an accurate profile always has some parts that the person would find unpleasant to confront. Some folks don't even take much effort to deconstruct. But I could not care less if someone reads me correctly, incorrectly, or not at all.

I was born with an antisocial personality "disorder", and one of the gifts from this curse is being able to pick up on what others are thinking or feeling. More times than I can remember, people have accused me of having ESP.. Which I don't believe in in a metaphysical sense.

I know nothing about football. Yet I predicted every missed penalty in the recent England Columbia shootout based on how anxious the penalty takers looked. There were witnesses. While this isn't exactly a scientific study - I think body language can be very revealing.
I've done some amateur acting. If people like a they talk about the story afterwards and their eyes light up when talking. If they're being nice but privately think the production was a car crash, I can tell. No eye contact. Words like interesting and different. Praise for the courage of people getting up on stage at all. Praise for a small item on the set.
On the separate question of bluntness versus evasion - it depends. If I think the boss is a jerk or a wedding dress is hideous, or a sensitve friend is a tone deaf singer,, I'll stay quiet. If I feel that I am being mistreated or that others are, and redress is possible, I'll speak out.

Body language is something we should all attention to, because quite often people say things when questioned that are not true, but their body language gives them away. In general terms in relationships it would be a lot better if people made clear what was on their minds instead of expecting others to read their minds. In my experience this problem is common with married couples!

Yes, I can "read" some people, especially when I am in a skeptical frame of mind. But, there have also been occasions when I saw in the person what I wanted to see, instead of what was really there.

I used to believe I could get a pretty good bead on a person by talking to them but nah. I got nothing.

As a building contractor it was essential that I could read people and most people have the same tells if you have learned what to look for, any bad feelings I would get around certain people I would attribute to subliminal and instinctual reactions to perceived threats. At one point 70% of my employees had served some sort of criminal sentence because it was so hard to find anyone who was willing to learn a trade and the penal system trained them as part of their rehabilitation. Excons are generally pretty easy to get a read on and fall into one of two categories in my experience, those who are killing time until they wind up back in jail and those who will do anything to make sure they never go back to jail. Within the first week I generally knew if they were the former and not the latter, they were fired when I cut them their weeks pay cheque. Sociopaths are harder to get a read on in my experience, I just make it a point to keep them out of my circle.

When reading women l prefer to use Braille. ?

I love to try and read people. I tend to pay attention to my gut instincts which are more often than not, correct. I have made some awful mistakes though when I let my emotions (not the same as instinctual) make the judgment calls!!! I have to work on that...........😕

I’m usually pretty clueless about people.

@hiil And why would I want to do that?

I’ve been known amongst my friends to be able to understand their emotions and opinions on things before they do. I also like to tease people to see how they will react on things before befriending them. Like weather or not they laugh at a dead baby joke, or give me a shocked expression.

It’s like reading a page from my biography!

Well said, and what many people experienced, and still experience growing up. Assuming what people think or mean or intend is the quickest path to misunderstanding and conflict.

Being assertive is the "bridge over troubled waters." LLOL

My initial instincts are usually spot on but as soon as you think or analyse that clarity is gone. I'm usually also fairly good at knowing if someone is full of shit or genuinely out of sorts but I don't put the radar on everybody I meet lol

My initial instincts are usually spot on but as soon as you think or analyse that clarity is gone. I'm usually also fairly good at knowing if someone is full of shit or genuinely out of sorts but I don't put the radar on everybody I meet lol

Some are easier to read than others. 😉

As an empath, I'm usually spot on with understanding people's feelings and motivations. It's important to still give them the space to communicate their thoughts and feelings, though. I don't expect anyone to "just know" what's going on in my head (especially when I don't know half of the time) and prefer just open and direct conversation. The world would be an easier place and if people said what they meant and meant what they said.

I used to think so. But now, I don't. I look at deeds, not words.

I read people fairly well, but you never really know everything that's going on either so the more exposure and confirmation you get on every individual the better your read will be.

Apparently my read on totally crazy women is good. I've written several women off who I thought were interested and a few months later I found out they're addicts, are crazy needy or recently a woman I chose not to pursue ended up pregnant on the 3rd date. The consensus among friends is she trapped him.

As a woman who's ended up accidentally knocked up on an early date, I'd encourage you to withhold judgement on that one. Of course, I don't know this chick, but I do know that I wasn't trying to trap anyone (quite the opposite) and really didn't enjoy that judgement being thrown my way...

Just the riot act. Smeh! ? I find, after almost 80 years of intense observation and interaction with people, we have certain 'tells' that I use to try and figure out where someone's coming from. As for me, I am pretty straight forward and I speak my mind. That way, I hope it will enable people know where I'm at. No creo en Dios

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:123226
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.