Agnostic.com

9 0

Becoming non-religious...

What was it that helped you decide that all religions were bullshit? If it was the bible, what parts and/or verses helped solidify your decision?

ShieldMaiden_76 6 July 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

For me there were 2 specific verses that really solidified my non-belief. 1) God is love. And part of a verse that defines what love is..2)...love holds no record of wrong doing. So then my question was, if God is love but love holds no record of wrong doing, how can there be a Hell?

The fact that the Catholic Church allowed molestation and it was”ok”

I have NEVER received a cogent answer to a religious question. Growing up, my family wasn't religious, but it seemed like everyone else was, so I was curious about what I might have been missing, so I read the bible and I asked questions. Recently, in Paris, they drained a canal, and discovered all kinds of shit in the water and muck that nobody realized was there. Reading the bible was looking at that canal water, but reading about the bible, Christianity, religion, and topics in that theme was like draining the canal and discovering all those discarded pieces that lost significance in peoples' lives. The veneer was gone and, in its place what I felt was a greater understanding.

I have always been an atheist. My son became religious and asked me to read some off the bible. I read genesis for 5 pages and had to stop many times from laughter. It was way too much nonsense. I love science fiction and fantasy book but this was too ridiculous. I have no idea how someone can buy into this when they read it. I guess you have to raised into it to believe it. Indoctrination and dogma.

I recognise justice when I see it. I haven't seen it in any religion I've encountered.
In the bible when the messenger told david that Solomon was dead david killed the messenger!!!!!

The hypocrisies in the bible, and people.

It sounds as though you are referring to Evangelical Christianity. Not all religions identify with 'the Bible'. 'All' is a sweeping statement and the post does not take into account the function that religious adherence and philosophy represents in differing environments and cultures. This is actually an "Are you still beating your wife?" question which implies that the listener has already capitulated in your preferred response outcome.

I just waited for some sort of evidence of a god and none ever showed up.

For me it was gaining the courage to speak up about my doubts & to ask questions boldly without fear of the social stigma. Once I had the courage to live such that I required good reasoning for every decision, the irrational beliefs started wilting and fading away.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:123478
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.