Agnostic.com

7 2

Word of advice...

I dunno if this has happened to any of the other women on this site, but it’s happened to me a couple times already.

Guys, please don’t cold-message women and tell them they’re beautiful or sexy or whatever. We don’t appreciate it. Not only is it creepy, it’s also objectifying.

PeppermintDreads 7 Jan 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am in agreement with your post, Peppermint. And I understand you are not calling out ALL guys: just the degenerates who don't care that there's a difference between complimenting a woman and clobbering her over the head and dragging her back to the cave, (no offense to cavemen a.k.a Neanderthals whom it turns out might have been smarter than we). When we post a pick, it happens to all women. The guys who are guilty of it know who they are.

"beautiful" is not a compliment? Does it not imply an appreciation for the degree of care put into maintaining one's appearance? Or did you simply miss the following in the original post: "please don’t cold-message women and tell them they’re beautiful"? It's rather central to the post, so I doubt your reading comprehension can be so low as to miss that.

"no offense to cavemen a.k.a Neanderthals whom it turns out might have been smarter than we" I applaud you for apparently having a sense of humor after all, unless you truly were concerned about offending a sub species of which the last living member died thousands of years ago.

@Jnutter819 most, if not all of us, carry dna of Neanderthal.

@crazycurlz irrelevant. We also carry some of the same dna as the first vertebrate, which if were alive today would likely be on the menu.

I like being told I'm beautiful, so clearly not all women share your opinion. Besides, don't you have your profile set to say interested in men? They're just trying to start off with a compliment, and men generally think more visually than women.

jnutter you are a true devil's advocate. Your stand is always in extreme opposition to the other 'guy's' and you seem so driven to win an argument that you miss the essence of the other person's comment.

@crazycurlz It's rather ambiguous whether she means a guy who was being a dick or a guy who just complimented her. Since she's a feminist, it's likely that she's telling men that they can't give her compliments. That's what 3rd wave feminism tends to be about, despite the thier claims of wanting equality.

Feminism is largely discredited. I recommend getting off the high horse gung ho band wagon and adopt egalitarianism.

"Feminism is the idea that the problems of gender inequality can be solved by focusing on the problems of just one. " ~The Amazing Atheist

@crazycurlz Availability heuristic: n. A mental tool for finding a common trait of a set of events and generalizing to all of them. Frequently applied too broadly and quickly. Example: reading comments by the same person on only three posts, then calling them out for "always" doing something that could easily be your own impression due to the ease of misinterpreting tone online.
Perhaps I make comments more when I think I have something to add to the logical debate I came to this site for, i.e. when I consider someone to be in error. Perhaps you are foolish enough to think you know me after like a day of internet interaction. In any case, "devil's advocate" is no insult, since only by advocating each side of a debate can you truly know which is best. That is, unless you mean literally instead of metaphorically. Allow me to address that alternative.
If you think I'm literally a proponent of evil, then maybe you need to take another look at my comments from a different view. Wise people who wish to defeat their opponents study them with the intent of understanding them to the level that the opponent becomes predictable. Doing so makes foiling your opponents' plans elementary. All I "advocate" is better understanding of how the human mind works, and the improvement of people's lives based on that understanding.
Projection (Freudian): n. Ascribing negative traits of the self to others to avoid having to face them, e.g. "you seem so driven to win an argument that you miss the essence of the other person's comment." Again, I was promoting understanding in the hopes of peace in the so-called 'battle of the sexes."

@Jnutter819 'devil's advocate' was not intended as an insult, it's an observation. You are consistently a devil's advocate. Regarding your statement: "Again, I was promoting understanding in the hopes of peace in the so-called 'battle of the sexes." No, you weren't. You came out clearly against the poster.

@crazycurlz Do you mean that I support evil or that I'm promoting that which I don't truly agree with? Either is inaccurate, but those are the only definitions I've heard of for devil's advocate. Unless you think you know my mind better than I do myself? lol

I was against the position held in the post (not the poster) because it seems psychologically maladaptive to interpret others' behavior as immorality unreasonably. To put it more simply, if the OP doesn't learn better than to be so judgy, she will make herself unhappy.

[en.wikipedia.org]: In common parlance, the term devil's advocate describes someone who, given a certain point of view, takes a position he or she does not necessarily agree with (or simply an alternative position from the accepted norm), for the sake of debate or to explore the thought further.

okay well you're ugly then

That comment is just rude. I wouldn't even call it infantile because children are more sophisticated than that

@crazycurlz I found the op to be snobby, so I elected to be a smart ass.

@crazycurlz You have a lovely sense of humor. /s

I agree honorable intentions for marriage should not begin with comments upon appearance of body shape.... most women don't compliment boys on their bodies but might suggest dance style music preferences both might find romantic. ...this Atheists introduction website is trying to meet all needs of community orientation dating and chatting. ...no one should assume but should politely ask

Women tend to be attracted based on imagining romantic situations, men are attracted more by current visuals. Know your audience, but also understand those who attempt to communicate with you. A man who calls you beautiful probably also thinks you're a good romantic partner, but they like to go with the bigger compliment to start off.

Wassup Dread? I enjoy your confidence! I Would like to get to know you a bit here digitally and see!. Just let me know!

I never understood it. I didn't when I was young, I don't now. Talk to women like you would a person because that's what they are; it's not hard dudes.

Yes, good feedback. Flag those messages and we can better stop them. We are also working on filters to automatically disregard messages based on non-compatibility (dating only).

Admin Level 8 Jan 3, 2018

I think they mean that we the users can screen for compatibility ratings. So we could set s threshold for like 50% or something

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12511
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.