Agnostic.com

11 5

We are constantly debating the principle of a "religious liberty". Does it really exist in the Constitution? The First Amendment states, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof ...."

The point of the First Amendment is to ensure that relgious beliefs are removed from attempted government control. Secondly, it ensures that the government does not get involved with enforcing, mandating, or promoting particular relgious doctrines, even including belief in gods.

In my opinion, the First Amendment is currently being eroded by the present occupant in the white house and his nominees to various high government positions.

Now that I've spewed facts you already know, do you believe that the present administration is eroding our right to religious libery?

sciteachmd 6 Jan 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Religions have enjoyed their usurped/stolen freedoms and liberties since their first days of invention.
These 'freedoms and liberties' have been nothing more than a blight on humanity and human development, they suppressed and repressed the growth and advancement of mankind, destroyed freedoms of culture, thought, knowledge, understanding and personal lives and choices to say the very least and all with absolute and unwarranted impunity.

I think we've been slowly chipping away at what 'liberty' means for decades, and as a result, we have less freedom. People often use 'preserving freedom' to chip away further in other areas without us noticing.

Yes, especially considering the lunatic religious fanatic he chose as his Vice-President. I believe in religious freedom for everyone, including people like us who do not believe in God. Religion has no place in the government & the running of the country.

You cannot govern without a foundation. They were compelled to adopt the spiritual principles of the Haudenosaunee. The Iriquois Confederacy gave us, the United Sates of America, "The Bill of Rights". It had not been formally recognized until 1987. America is not a Judeo-Christian creation.

I believe he is most certainly trying.

Absolutely. Its collusion with duplicitous and demagogic evangelical leaders is eroding our freedom FROM religi9n

I believe those claiming "religious liberty" are just looking for special treatment. The Constitution is pretty clear, even though it gets ignored A LOT. As far as 45 goes, he's just pandering to republicans and conservatives.

[google.com]

Yes this administrations tax laws, educational advantages to religious schools and trouncing the rights of the LGBTQ community all threaten our religious liberty.

This is why civil liberty lawyers need to get involved.

The trump administration seems very unfriendly to Islam, but I see no bias towards Judaism, Jainism, Buddhism.... they do seem to want to force Christian values down to he throats of all Americans, though.

The present administration is eroding everything.

skado Level 9 Jan 3, 2018

The greater threat in my opinion is Trump's eroding of the trust we have had in the institutions of government.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12516
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.