Agnostic.com

20 3

LINK 16:8 diet: Fasting for 16 hours a day the key to weight loss, experts say

Does anyone else use intermittent fasting?

I have a friend who swears by it. He's lost lots of weight and looks ten years younger.

So I'm having a try myself. So far my main problem is abstaining from eating or snacking in the evening.

Ellatynemouth 8 July 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

20 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

@Mikeb56 I don't think you would starve to death! I know a thing or two about this method! Intermittent fasting, also known as intermittent energy restriction, is any variety of eating schedules that alternate between voluntary fasting and no fasting for a specified period. Intermittent fasting methods include all-day fasting, intermittent fasting, and daily time-limited feedings. To control the process, I bought scales here <a href="https://www.vont.com/product/smart-scale-bathroom-scale-weight-scale/." rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer" target="_blank" class="forumlink">[vont.com]]([vont.com]. But if you have health problems or a lot of excess weight, this will not benefit you! For an average person, this is more suitable not as a way to lose weight quickly, but to cleanse your body! But often, I don't recommend starving like that either! You can try it! Take care of your health!

Fasting for 16 hours is advantageous to your body, according to researchers, as long as you don't have any comorbidity. A 16-hour intermittent fasting diet can give you with numerous long-term health benefits if properly designed. It is one of the most straightforward diet to follow. There are still people from whom this diet doesn't work though, and there is hcg for men weight loss which can help with it. This is a very good option for those who can't lose weight at all, no matter what they are doing.

I'm really new here, just searched intermittent fasting and found your post. I happen to be quite knowledgeable on this subject. I used to and at time still do help people integrate it into their lives. Check out my Facebook page where i've complied a ton of research on. Tons of documentaries links to ted talks and a plethora of evidence and examination of the health benefits associated to fasting period. Check it out www.fastrak.ca #fasting #everyotherdaydiet #intermittentfasting #alternatedayfasting #weightloss

Source:

Www.fastrak.ca

I get it a bit.. Depends on how overweight you are
.. For the most part youre going to grind your metabolism to a halt...

8 small small timed out meals every 2 hours but keeping under maintenance calories is the only true tried way to lose weight and keep it off

Pff. If I went sixteen hours without eating I'd be in jail.

I would starve to death. ?

During the 8 hours what can you eat?

Teri Level 1 July 8, 2018

Whatever you want.

I encourage anyone to with diet and see what works. I'm always learning and trying to improve... I'm curious about this more as a wellness thing because I've heard interviews with people about it sharpening attention and such. Anyone have experience in that end of it?

While this isn't % apropos, it might be useful. I really like what this guy does and find him pretty legit. He lays it out really clearly. Enjoy!

You don't HAVE to do this. Just eat sensible portions 3-5 times a day with light snacks if needed, 2 to 3 cups of green tea, drink a few liters of water throughout the day, don't eat bread or soda or anything with added sugar. Don't eat past like 6-7pm. And do some cardio exercise even if it's just an hour a day. I lost 40 pds doing that a few years ago and it only took a few months. Torturing yourself is not recommended, nor is it needed.

that's ME you have just described ! Expect for the tea..
This is my discipline since I was 14 (I'm 64). Tea is an astringent that makes my stomach bleed. So I drink the water that is produced by steaming my foods and grapefruit juice to aid in digestion just like people who drink vinegar to break down non-solubles.

@Plant1010J That's kind of weird being that green tea has polyphenols and other antioxidants in it. I have mild gastritis, and green tea with a teaspoon of turmeric (anti-inflammatory) seems to help a lot. I guess it affects other people differently, obviously.

I have just started to try this also... we will se ?

I have been useing this method on an off for about a year and i've lost about 20 pounds.

I fast often, usually from like 9:00 pm 'till 12:45 pm the next day, which is almost 16 hours. That's when I'm working. I will go longer when I'm on vacation. Yesterday I had a burger and onion rings and a large chocolate shake at 12:30 pm, right before I went sailing. At about 6:00 pm, we were back at the dock and I had some about 20 Rainier cherries. I came home and went for a night bike ride from 8 to 10 pm. Watched a DVD and went to bed without any supper. It's 10 am now and I will probably start grazing on some mango or papaya pretty soon. So since the cherries it's been 16 hours. Since the burger, 22 hours. But who's counting? Right now I weigh about 180 lbs, and I'm as fat and out of shape as I have ever been. That's because lately I have been bad, stuffing my face and not getting enough exercise. I think the Trump era is bad for my health. I constantly crave comfort food. I need to find another outlet for my angst. Like target practice on pictures of his majesty's orange fucking face. ?

I fast often, usually from like 9:00 pm 'till 12:45 pm the next day, which is almost 16 hours. That's when I'm working. I will go longer when I'm on vacation. Yesterday I had a burger and onion rings and a large chocolate shake at 12:30 pm, right before I went sailing. At about 6:00 pm, we were back at the dock and I had some about 20 Rainier cherries. I came home and went for a night bike ride from 8 to 10 pm. Watched a DVD and went to bed without any supper. It's 10 am now and I will probably start grazing on some mango or papaya pretty soon. So since the cherries it's been 16 hours. Since the burger, 22 hours. But who's counting? Right now I weigh about 180 lbs, and I'm as fat and out of shape as I have ever been. That's because lately I have been bad, stuffing my face and not getting enough exercise. I think the Trump era is bad for my health. I constantly crave comfort food. I need to find another outlet for my angst. Like target practice on pictures of his majesty's orange fucking face. ?

I fast on a regular basis. Most often, it is a combination of 16:8 intermittent fasting(IF) and 24 hour-36 hour fasts. I realize there many benefits to fasting, however, my primary motivation has been because it puts the body into a state of autophagy.

I was diagnosed as diabetic last December. I weighed in at 307 lbs and had an A1c of 10.7. I have been on multiple blood pressure medications for about 10 years and was prescribed two medications for the diabetes - luckily no insulin. After much research, at the beginning of February, I began a low carb, adequate protein, fat way of eating.

As I continued with the way of eating, an unexpected thing happened. I would eat breakfast, a morning snack, lunch, and an afternoon snack. However, by the time dinner should roll around, I found I was simply not hungry. So, I would just not eat dinner. Without even trying (and before I was even aware of what intermittent fasting was), I was doing a 16:8 form of IF.

As I approached losing 30 lbs, I became all too aware of what I will simply my "hang over". The excess skin in my stomach area as the weight was coming off. After more research I saw people talking how IF had helped them lose the extra skin because of the effect of autophagy. I realized I was already doing 16:8 fairly regularly, so I upped my game. I try now for two 24-36 hour fasts each week. and still do 16:8 if I do not feel hungry dinner time. Just for giggles I also tried two 48 hour fasts in one week. It went just fine.

I have seen the difference in my excess skin. But the real difference has been in my overall health. As of this morning, I have lost just under 70 lbs. I had my latest follow up blood work for my A1c and it is now 5.5 - NORMAL!!!! I am now controlling my diabetes through diet alone, no more medications. About 1/2 of the mornings now, my fasting blood is below - again NORMAL. The rest are below 110. I have started to need less blood pressure medications. And my vision has improved. (As evidenced by needing to spend $350 on new glasses after my optometrist appointment).

I have soooo much more energy now, that I my body literally feels called into being in action. At the beginning of June walking from my office to the back of the shop at work (about 120 feet), I would get winded. I started walking and now walk 5k every morning. I have set a goal of running a 5k by the end of September.

So where am I going with this? I fast. There are benefits to fasting. The low carb, fat way of eating is a natural partner to fasting and IF. My relationship to the feeling of hunger has most definitely changed. I wish you success in working with IF.

This is marvelous. There is something called the Newcastle Protocol which is a severe restricted diet designed to reverse type two diabetes.

I read about fasting being good for blood pressure too.

I didn't know about the autophagy thing. That's even better. I think fasting is the way to go. Humans are designed for it.

Can autophagy only happen after a longer fast? What's the minimum time for autophagy to occur?

It works for me, I lost 25 pounds and working on more.

Joe Rogan practices intermittent fasting.

Ranting commence
Just eat healthy and exercise (cardio and weight resistance) 60 minutes a day! Eat lots of fruits AND vegetables! Drink lots of water! Lay off the fast food, fried food, chips, ice cream, cookies, candy, and soda!

I'm so tired of hearing about all these diets. Accept responsibility! Quit trying to find the easy way out and start making smarter decisions about what you put in your body!
rant over

Crikey! That is a rant! ha ha!

Did you stub your toe this morning?

@Ellatynemouth LOL. No, I just have to listen to people talk about diets all the time at work; I work at county health departments as a nutritionist. Then when they come back nothing has changed. Most people end up gaining weight or are not happy with the results. Most diets are either fads or not meant to be made permanent; then when people come off the diet, they don't learn anything and the weight comes back; then they go on the diet again. It's an endless cycle for some people. Some diets can even hurt you if you stay on them for too long.

@joeymf86

I agree with most of what you say. Listening to people in the office talk about diets is mind numbing. For myself, I could never count calories. It's too boring.

But one friend of mine has completely changed his life using intermittent fasting. He's stayed with it for years now. He's unrecognisable from the way he looked 4 or 5 years ago. Fasting has transformed him.

@Ellatynemouth I'm glad it worked out for him. People definitely need to work on being healthier. It can be difficult for many due to having limited resources, low income or a tight budget, non-realistic expectations, or something else. Small steps are key to reaching any goal.

@joeymf86

I totally agree. I'm glad you mentioned resources and income because those things are usually ignored by the media.

I doubt it. He has probably just cut down on the crap that he usually eats due to eating less. . Not much to do with true fasting. As in: break/fast ..since most people 'breakfast' after not eating while sleeping. When I worked at a prison, I did not eat at work..which was the same amount of time as my sleeping time (approx. 8 hours) But then, I still haven't eaten until I slept then exercised.. welcoming a breakfast after 16 hours. My preach is: don't eat crap (non-foods)

I fasted for 37 minutes yesterday....

I fasted for 37 minutes yesterday....

Yes. I usually ro 18/6 and 20/4. Works for me.......

I've also in the last 18 months done a couple of 5 day water only fasts,,

Oh my goodness!

How do the water fasts go? Do you feel the benefit from them long after they've ended?

@Ellatynemouth Yes. The cellular/anti-cancer benefits are significant and just knowing you can do it is gratifying. It is not very hard. Just don't eat, carry on. Focus and energy increase.

@Mitch07102

Thank you. I'm going to look into it.

@Ellatynemouth If you haven't done so check out some of the YouTube videos from Dr. Jason Fung.

@Mitch07102

I toyed with the idea of fasting. I do intermittent fasting already and I once tried the 5:2 Diet, which was intolerable. That put me off fasting for longer.

I think it's easier not to eat anything than to have little bits.

You must be healthy.

@Ellatynemouth Yes I am. No medicine for anything, other than now as I recover from surgery for a torn quadriceps tendon,

@Mitch07102

You should write a blog! You would inspire people.

@Ellatynemouth There are plenty out there already.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:125319
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.