Agnostic.com

25 11

Has anybody ever been to the point that they get away from religious people as soon as possible?

Lol I don’t know if it is just me and the fact my nerves are shot by this type of stupidity, but if I know someone is religious and they come around and all they want to watch is the religious channel, discuss Israel and put the Jews up on a pedestal, and go on and on about them being The Chosen People, quote bible scriptures, I have this strong urge to get away from them or look for any excuse I can find to get away from them. Something in my nerves just get to me when I get around those types of people. Lol I know it’s pretty messed up, but it’s true.

EmeraldJewel 7 Jan 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I live among Mormons. I easily coexist but recently started the ball rolling in becoming an expatriate in 2018. For my own sanity I need to get out of the USA for a while. Could be a year or possibly having dual citizenship.

I was on an online dating website and received a message that went on and on for several pages. It was all about this chapter, that chapter, blood of this and wine of that. I was overwhelemed and shocked by the statements and blessings that made absolutely no sense to me. That is when I decided to block this person. This was not the first time. I have experienced this at City Council meetings, faculty meetings, and even outdoor festivals. I have come to the conclusion that there is something wrong with these religious fanatics and that I need to stay away from them.

Yes and I warn them before attempting to discuss anything

Do you also find that, like me, that does not always work though?
I have an Evangelist type for a next door neighbour, I have repeatedly told him that I am an Atheist plus that I have a Doctorate in Theology and Comparative Modern Religions but the words seem to roll off his back just as water does with a duck.

It is good that they heed your warning. Lots of these arrogant, aggressive jerks do NOT take me seriously when I tell them off ... unless, of course, I raise my voice and yell and use profanity. Then and only then, do they back off.

I’m well read and for the most part they are merely repeating something they heard or never rarely have did any research. I tell them that I’ve studied the history of their particular religion and begin by asking them if they are aware of what they’re claiming to represent. Most can’t handle truth and are ignorant of something they’ve joined into but have yet to research their particular denomination. They run and many can’t stand the truth of facts. Not my opinions. Just facts. No delusions. Documented information from Emory University’s Theological Library and via a vast library that I own. Therefore whatever I say? I also show what I’m expressing. I then give them homework and ask them to disprove whatever it is I tell them.
@Triphid

I have lost count of the times I have not walked, but RUN to escape these aggressive jerks. I have quit a couple of jobs, transferred colleges, moved to a different neighborhood and changed my phone number something like a dozen times. I have run into the ones who are not merely annoying, but sociopathic. The worst incidents of harassment happened in the 70's and 80's. Since then, I found a public sector job and purchased my own home. I have privacy in my home and do not get preached to at work. But for a few years, it was awful.

SKH78 Level 8 Jan 3, 2018

I get a cold chill around me like a heat stealing ghost just walks thru me. I think its cause as a non-believer we at least understand they think they're at war, so the whole theirs no rules in love or war thing kicks in and our fight or flight instincts kick in. They will say whatever and use whatever they think about at that moment and are encouraged by the majority of the community to not care about what you think since you're satan. I couldn't care less about they're childhood trama especially since all they care to do is re-enact that trama to other kids but, I don't think they should expect us to want to be around people that only talk about satan when their god doesn't work. I've had people @ work stomping, pointing to the ground, and banging on my wall from another room while always there is someone looking at me from the window in the door to record my reactions. I got so used to this treatment that I would feel unconfortable if a x-tian wasn't being a complete ass. I would of had a glimmer of hope that I could have a friend, but when the stomping and talking in tongues happen I know they're lost.

Yea I'd walk away...who you been hangin' out with?

Not the fact who I was hanging out with them, but over the holidays I was briefly around a person like that because I was visiting family and friends and had to get the hell away from there.

My cousins are religiousJews-one is conservative and one is orthodox. I only see them at funerals and unveilings. They speak and read Hebrew and I don't. They often post religious stuff on FB. Idid wish them a Happy Hannukah and they clicked "like." When they start talking about their kids and all their religious activities I head for the hills.

Jehova Whitnesses come around my house all the time ,and I politely make my getaway as soon as I possibly can

Yes, when I was married. And my ex-wife said she was very religious: one of these nice religious person that take an automatic gun machine and kill some people for fun.

Well.... I don't have to deal with this anymore but I can imagine how you may feel...ugh!

I work with all religious people. I tend to ignore all the jesus crap I hear.

Good for you Sarah...

If I get to that point that I have to run away... I need to throw up on them first... and claim was part of the exorcism ritual they were performing on me and act very grateful for their performance.

Lol

I used to excuse myself as quickly as possible. Now, depending on my mood, I'll engage just because I can drive them crazy. As far as I'm concerned, turnabout is fair play.

Oh yes, more times than I even care to remember.

Nearly every single day!

Only after a service I've attended, not that they are rude or disrespectful to me, but they also don't know my side of the argument yet. It is however a very phoney situation for both/all of us, because I have read their holy bible and they have cherry-picked it.

Except, I don't worry about making an excuse....

It’s not messed up to me. I do this too, & it’s because time & time again, consistently throughout my life, I have found that I usually regret not doing so sooner.

Yes. It usually is just a special case of the more general desire to get away from stupid people.

Try doing satanic rituals around them that usually makes them leave. Nobody and I mean nobody puts my TV on a religious channel without my permission and I only grant that if they want to mock the shows on it. You need to grow a backbone and stop tolerating stupid otherwise they will not learn to respect others beliefs, like yours. Time to come out of the closet and start living your life not theirs. Sorry, if I seem harsh but, it is for your own mental health.

Whoa, excuse me! I was only at family gatherings for Christmas holidays and new year when they came around and this happened!!!

@EmeraldJewel and also I’ve already told these people I dislike church. This was only a question to see if anybody has ever felt disgusted to be around people like that so I knew if I wasn’t alone.

@EmeraldJewel , The key point is they come around, your house, your house your rules. Feeling uncomfortable is making their problem your's that is not how I live my life. I have expectations of the behaviour of my house guests one is that they respect my beliefs and two is that they do not engage in activity that disgusts me.

Yes, it has happened. Less, as time goes on though, I've learned to try and avoid those that are over-the-top with their exuberance for gods !.

Always. As soon as they say "God is....." I leave them talking alone.

Reminds me of a scene in Captain Fantastic. Police officers are about to search their RV for stuff they are hiding, so they start trying to evangelize the officers to (successfully) scare them away 🙂

i feel so lucky, living where I do, I feel no one is religious round here, so I had a look at the latest available census (which was 2013) apparently 43% of us claim to have no religion, about 2% didn't answer the question, another 5% are undecided and the other half are made up of Christian, Catholic, hindu, Buddhist and Muslim and another 2% Other. Thats some very peaceful stats 😉 Come to New Zealand 🙂 hehe

Sacha Level 7 Jan 3, 2018

Lol ikr! I envy you for not having to put up like some of us do around the world.

@EmeraldJewel New Zealand actually sounds very nice and I may even consider coming there.

Sounds reasonable to me. I assume we become more selective with experience. Eventually, what may have been at best an interesting irritation can become intolerable. It’s like, how much of this crap haven’t I heard before? I’d be gone - and it’d be their loss ~

Varn Level 8 Jan 3, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12543
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.