Agnostic.com

7 4

Life Lessons ....

I just read an article on 10 life lessons learned too late. I felt disappointed. I'll classify it as "Platitude Pablum". I couldn't help think that I could have at least started the article better.

Then I thought it would be interesting to start that list here and see what you folks would like to add. So, here goes ... I'm just going to list them without explaining. I have a hunch the rationale will be obvious to those with sufficient life experience.

1. Those who can be trusted, don't demand to be.
  2. Common sense is not common, needs to be taught, and reviewed often to weed out nonsense.
  3. Beliefs revered in any society need to be questioned often.
  4. Authority figures should be questioned respectfully and often.
  5. Because it seems it ought to be true, don't make it so.
  6. Absolute truths are often neither.
  7. Emotion is not evidence.

I could probably think of more, but the idea is to hear your thoughts too .... Please comment!!!

Normanbites 7 July 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It all depends on how you say these points. They could be platitudes, or they might be insightful. These lines made me think of some quotes from Feynman:

We've learned from experience that the truth will come out. Other experimenters will repeat your experiment and find out whether you were wrong or right. Nature's phenomena will agree or they'll disagree with your theory. And, although you may gain some temporary fame and excitement, you will not gain a good reputation as a scientist if you haven't tried to be very careful in this kind of work. And it's this type of integrity, this kind of care not to fool yourself, that is missing to a large extent in much of the research in cargo cult science.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool.

You can recognize truth by its beauty and simplicity. When you get it right, it is obvious that it is right—at least if you have any experience—because usually what happens is that more comes out than goes in. ...The inexperienced, the crackpots, and people like that, make guesses that are simple, but you can immediately see that they are wrong, so that does not count. Others, the inexperienced students, make guesses that are very complicated, and it sort of looks as if it is all right, but I know it is not true because the truth always turns out to be simpler than you thought.

Dont piss in the wind !!

Watch how a person treat others because that is how they will treat you.

Live by example and not by cheap talk.

Don't make promises you can't keep.

Don't debate anyone that does not have enough ammunition upstairs to make it a fair fight.

Wear nice underwear because you never know when TSA is going to make you remove your pants.

Buy based on quality, not price.
Whatever seems like a good idea, do it sooner rather than later.
When people show you that they cannot be trusted, believe them.
Always go for the laugh, good comedy requires risks and speed.
If it doesn't feel right, it ain't right.
It's ok when refusing an invitation to say "because I don't want to".

I liked the Buddha’s “ehi passiko”, or ‘come and see for yourself’.

Denker Level 7 July 10, 2018

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle

After looking at lesson nr 7. I know you had never caused an orgasm.

From that comment, I know you come from a long line of bachelors.

@Normanbites Bachelors do the most fucking so I reckon you come from a long line of marriages... that's servicing the msrs that is not fucking. Let's put it this way... marriage for 19.... divorced for 18 and counting.... the ex msrs working on marriage nr 3.... I bet you have a pet.

@GipsyOfNewSpain Hmmm well, I don't think you are wrong on that count.

@Normanbites It is all good... my ex wife called me a man without emotions so I will have to tell her I must be full of evidence then. Her only evidence I recall was her always smelling other women on me.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:125756
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.