Agnostic.com

18 1

Should people that disagree with science be allowed to use advanced technology created by scientific breakthroughs

Why should the people that do not believe in global warming or any scientific reasoning, be allowed use any technology has been created because of scientific breakthrough,

Yourdaddy22 4 Jan 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They probably shouldn't, but how would you stop them?

The beauty of science and technology is that it's universal. Whether you believe it or not, it's still there and still the truth. Those who don't believe in science and still use technology are hypocrites, science has no such prejudice!

What I am referring to are things like the internet phones and computers... For example... The flat earth society that uses mass communications to misinformed people.... However the physics and math used to create the internet would not be possible if the earth was flat... What I'm saying is that those people shouldn't be allowed to use advance technology to spread misinformation

I suppose we could have endless "fun" arguing over what constitutes advanced technology. I can't imagine the people rejecting "all science." But maybe we could take away all their plastic items. That alone should cripple them. 🙂

Yes. Because we're human beings and advanced technology covers everything from the wheel to quantum mechanics.

and fire

What I am referring to are things like the internet and computers... For example... The flat earth society that uses mass communications to misinformed people.... However the physicsand math used to create the internet would not be possible if the earth was flat... What I'm saying is that those people shouldn't be allowed to use advance technology

@Yourdaddy22 A small child or a baby might not have the faculty to conceptualise an administered, life-saving therapy but we wouldn't withhold it for that reason. I would apply the same logic to flat earthers and so on - there's always the hope that one day they will grow up. There is no benefit in denying science practically and, for me, subconsciously perceived disempowerment may well underpin such 'beliefs'. We are funny little creatures and we like personal empowerment - we like to, need to, think we are in charge of something. Denial affords us this opportunity even when faced with facts. Just because we personally cannot understand something doesn't mean it can't be understood. Whether or not the earth is flat makes no difference to them day-to-day, even if it means a flat earth means no atmosphere. I couldn't build a functional shelter of any great quality but I'm happy to put my need for accommodation in the hands of someone who can. Back in the day I might go out and catch a fish instead, meaning I'm still contributing to the group in a positive, practical way, one more suited to my personal skills. Nowadays, with personal utility overtaken by technology it can be hard to find a role. By finding something we don't understand then finding others who don't understand it either, suddenly we belong to a group. The question about up to date technology seems valid today because we have the most up to date technology, but a thousand years ago the most up to date technology was still the most up to date technology. Same a thousand years hence. Denying someone who lacks utility in the modern world isn't smart, not least because the electricity could go off for a month and we might once again need someone to catch a fish. A smart team (we got here as a team) recognises the utility in the weakest player. We don't need to understand the dynamics of jet propelled flight in order to let a stranger fly us half way across the globe, at 30,000 feet in a multi-ton metal tube full of explosive dead dinosaurs. It's a leap of faith, based on logic and practicality. I'm happy for the flat earth people to walk because I know the nature of gravity means they'll never get there 🙂

If they were being consistent, they would not avail themselves of these things. Along those lines, there's a special place in hell (if it exists) for parents who refused their children medical intervention.

You mean like the religious anti-abortion couples who uses fertility treatments? Yeah, hmmm, something is seriously wrong with that picture.

I understand the sentiment, I was one of the players in establishing the internet here in Oz back in the very late 80s very early 90s. Now when the net is so slow, so clogged up, we have paid billions to create the NBN, (No Bloody Net) using fraudband (old copper wire to your house) instead of superfast broad band using optic fibre, all designed by the Government that wants to use coal forever and does not believe in climate change. I really think these people should go back to using pigeons.

Everyperson who is using Scientific advancements is paying for it, so why should there be bared?

They should just pray instead.

Ha ha ha- love it!

people buy and use things all the time that they do not understand

Most of those devices are sold by tech companies for a profit. I think they’d be interested in that seeing it’s use, despite a religious perspective.

I do know this - the ones that disagree would be shocked to see how much of good parts of their lives are because of scientific breakthroughs and discoveries !

They should be allowed to use advanced technology because people that believe in global warming and scientific reasoning use technology created by some people that do not believe in global warming or some scientific reasoning .It goes both ways

What I am referring to are things like the internet phones and computers... For example(1 of many)... The flat earth society that uses mass communications to misinform people.... However the physics and math used to create the internet would not be possible if the earth was flat... What I'm saying is that those people shouldn't be allowed to use advance technology to spread misinformation

....as long as you are not reluctant to remind them
that “science made that tech-tool possible for you to use”. Be it a washing machine or a special computer program. Never stop being kind enough to remind them the source that allows them not to HAVE go to the river to beat their clothes on rocks to clean. OR.... find the square root of 12345. (Smile)

What I am referring to are things like the internet phones and computers... For example(1 of many)... The flat earth society uses mass communications to misinform people.... However the physics and math used to create the internet would not be possible if the earth was flat... What I'm saying is that those people shouldn't be allowed to use advance technology to spread misinformation

My question is how would you keep them from owning them? I mean, are we now going to have a registry for who can and can not own technology?

Sounds really stupid to me.

Of course they should be able to use new tech. Of course then we should be able to point out their hypocracy and laugh at them.

Why Not? I don't believe in god and I use the name of god in vain everyday.

Amen brotha!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12772
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.