Agnostic.com

56 12

Overweight shows weakness?

So I got into almost an argument with family members when the subject of health came up. They actually made the remark to say that the true strong people are the ones who never allowed themselves to gain weight to become overweight to begin with and that people overweight are only strong minded to do something about it. Like, really? That’s completely unrealistic because sometime life happens and the individual have no choice but to automatically gain weight. I thought what this person said was just plain pointless and stupid. What do any of you think?

EmeraldJewel 7 July 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

56 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

How unbelievably ignorant.
There are any number of reasons why anyone becomes overweight.
Personal "strength" really doesn't even rank among them.

I cannot even begin to imagine how you put up with those people.

Well...I cursed them out lmfao!

@EmeraldJewel Attagirl!!!

For myself a part of the 30 extra pounds I have is from failing to stick to a healthier diet. I have given up a lot of bad things; soda, caffeine, cigarettes, and I've never drank so my last vice is sweets; just can't stop lol. For me yes I consider it MY weakness and I don't like being where I am in my weight.

I don't consider it everyones weakness though because I understand that each one of us is different.

Like you have said people have life events, there are also medical issues, or even genetics that could add to the problem.

I do feel that its best to do my best to keep from getting any bigger, because that's what's best for me. I would recommend that everyone try to strive to stay healthy or get to what's healthy for yourself.

Fatness or leanness is not an indicator of health! I just read The Secret Life of Fat by Sylvia Tara, I highly recommend it to everyone.

I’ll check it out.

Sometimes it's your family that comes up with the most stupid shit. It hurts a lot more than hearing it from some random stranger. First, I'm suspicious of any idea applied as a generalization that covers all cases. Second, even if that's what you think, why broadcast it? What do you gain at the cost of hurting someone else? But finally, what exactly makes someone else's weight (or status, or any other characteristic) your business?

zeuser Level 9 July 11, 2018

Exactly!!!

and some of us get hurt and build a wall of fat as a defense to heartbreak

Exactly! But judgmental people can’t seen to grasp that.

The (implied) "theory" that all overweight people "allowed themselves" to get that way is BS. It does apply to some, but not all. There are many reasons why it happens to some people. Interestingly, I read that some contestants on The Biggest Loser who lost massive amounts of weight are gaining it back despite maintaining lifestyle changes and exercise they learned on the show.

@Morganfreeman bullshit

And none of these people ever had an illness that made them immobile, or took meds that cause weight gain, or comforted themselves with food? I say BS!

I do, too!

The other thing that people who are very overweight have a tendency to get their feelings hurt over is the fact that people say they're not attractive on The evolutionary level we have evolved to be attracted to mates that are healthy looking this is to ensure the survival of the species

They should try carrying the weight of other people's judgements and expectations and see how strong they are. It takes WAY more strength to deal with all of the rude comments and fat shaming and disgusted stares and "I like you and we get along great but you are just too big for me"

That's real strength.

You are absolutely right! It does take a strong person to endure the abuse hateful people spew. I once worked the night shift for three years and gained weight cause when I’d go home at night, I couldn’t sleep cause I had to wind down then end up eating cause I’d get hungry again. When I finally got off the night shift, I tried almost all methods to shed the weight I gained for all the years of working nights and was unsuccessful. Mind you, at that time I couldn’t afford a gym memebership. One day when I was walking home from work, some neighbors I had been having problems with little brat kid was outside and the first thing she started screaming out was ,” My momma said you were overweight!” repeatedly as I walked passed the little brat until his mom skinny ass finally came outside and got him. I swear to god, no pun intended, I wanted to knock the shit out of the little brat and her mamma. Well...a few months did go by and I found out their trailer caught fire and it was bad enough they had to move and the skinny mamma last I heard lost her kids cause she was a methhead. It was so embarrassing to go through that so what you said is point on!!!

If the overweight sits on your chest... you will understand the meaning of weakness.

Lol I like this answer.

That there are a lot of stupid pointless people in the world?

Genes play a big role. I am part sioux and most native americans gain weight under euro food. Suger base and such. I am handicap now so hard to work out. Even when i was doing 10 mile bike rides and hour walks i was over weight. Seems my old punk rock days caught up to me

Maybe it is just a glandular condition.

I think this person over estimated quite a bit for 1 has a feww have already stated, some of us have genetics against us. If the person has some type of disorder which causes fat cells to produce more. Its not a fair statements from whomever said this. All people who are quote overweight all have different circumstances

Good answer.

The classic argument of someone who has never been overweight. There are a million reasons why a person might be overweight and not a single one of them is helped by being fat shamed. Skinny doesn't necessarily equal healthy.

GwenC Level 7 July 10, 2018

People tend to be the most self righteous about the vices that don't appeal to them.

Strength and weakness comes in many forms. Never are things so simplistic.

I thought I was a stress eater for a couple decades. I did not know about insulin resistance. Once I did, the diet change allowed my workouts to be effective. The problem for me was not understanding the carb effects and the diets I would try were not helping. Hated myself in the mirror and resented my ex not helping, she would push comfort foods during stress times. Much happier now, but I would not characterize it as week. Because of insulin resistance my body was screaming it was starving.

I'd rather be a good person who is fat, than a skinny person who is an asshole.

arnies Level 7 July 13, 2018

As long as the person saying those unkind things doesn't smoke, exercises daily, & has no bad habits....sure. But mainly it bothers me when people consider things like weight gain an indicator of poor character, & that they obviously consider themselves superior to anyone who is overweight. The person's remark was not only pointless & stupid, it was very unkind & to me that's worse.

Carin Level 8 July 13, 2018

For me it's laziness in both exercise and eating habits I don't know if I'd call it weakness though. For example I can ride my bike to work but it's easier to just drive.

skinny angry ppl die too and are not always healthier than fat ppl

and who wants to screw with a stick it hurts to bump bones bruised hips are not fun

in women we have extra for bearing children and getting oregnant can change body chemistry so that one can get thinner or fatter more easily my first 2 kids i lost weight as a not chubby but not thin teen i lost weight and was thin for the first time in my life but child number 3 i gained so fast and could not loose it even with diets or pills

Lmfao

@Morganfreeman who the hell said anything about not fitting in elevators good fucking gravy that is another conversation im not that fucking fat but ive outlived 4 of my siblings skinnier siblings and im oldest of 7

Skinny women, like a sack of bones... are weak... too weak... they fall, they break a bone... so what is your point? Get off your complex.

Alright, I’ll make sure I tell them that cause they need to hear it.

@EmeraldJewel You don't have to... they know they are brittle! They don't need to hear it. Same as the overweight don't need to have a bunch of senseless discuss their "weakness" online.

Skinny women, like a sack of bones... are weak... too weak... they fall, they break a bone... so what is your point?

Their statement shows judgement.

Judge mental and stupid! I agree.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:127793
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.