Agnostic.com

56 12

Overweight shows weakness?

So I got into almost an argument with family members when the subject of health came up. They actually made the remark to say that the true strong people are the ones who never allowed themselves to gain weight to become overweight to begin with and that people overweight are only strong minded to do something about it. Like, really? That’s completely unrealistic because sometime life happens and the individual have no choice but to automatically gain weight. I thought what this person said was just plain pointless and stupid. What do any of you think?

EmeraldJewel 7 July 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

56 comments (51 - 56)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think overweight people must need to have strong knees and ankles. So it does not show weakness - quite the opposite.

Gareth Level 7 July 11, 2018

I maxed out the weight on the leg machines cause my legs are used to carrying 250+ pounds. Made the boys in school really angry lol.

As a person who has struggled with their weight and associated depression as a result I have to partially agree that alot of overweight people, including myself can lose weight which I did 140 pounds actually although it's gone up and down, with a high degree of consistent self discipline. I'm of the strong belief that the health issues and consequential obesity of most unhealthily overweight people is being caused by our commercialized American diet and misconceptions on what is actually healthy for us as a species to be consuming, science dictates the obvious ways to be healthy and still eat quite a lot, the part that I agree with is that it takes a ton of mental fortitude to follow a regimen and make it a lifestyle that. Is sustainable long term, now I know I'm gonna hear from all the women who want to claim it's their thyroid poo poo on me but how did it get screwed up to begin with? Nobodies born that way, it's a symptom of processed American food same as diabetes, and reversible, if you really want to but we aren't willing, I myself get depressed, when no one else cares why should I deny myself the enjoyment of this or that or whatever it is you like to stuff down. Even though I know what it takes cause I've done it, mental fortitude is tough to keep up. So yes I think they have a bit of a point.

You were spot on. Also, their body shaming of over weight people only makes things worse.

You always have a choice. It's a question is if you have an approach to be effective.

Even as someone who has battled weight all my life, I don't disagree with them.

doesn't show strength [ depending on how many times ones supposed body weight one sits at]

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:127793
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.