Agnostic.com

3 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Although Consent to be Governed is a plain English sentence, it would require much legalese to explain every repercussion of it's meaning.

Lukian Level 8 July 11, 2018

We don't need to know every repercussion to know that that principle is being grossly violated.

@Blindbird knowing that it is violated for some people and explaining why it is to everybody else would require a lot of wording is what I am saying.

"Imminent civil unrest" over Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid? I think we're being a tad alarmist here. The time of the strict constructionists is over and done. The founders also did not envision a standing Army. Times change.

Underestimating IMO. We have a growing segment of the population who is economically and politically marginalized. It's tinder for political unrest.

@Blindbird We can hope.

@Blindbird My point, though, is that if it comes to that, they won't be protesting over the federal government's overreaching and doing too much. Rather the reverse, the problem is the private sector run wild.

@Paul4747 the private sector has captured government, which was the only thing restraining their greed. We need to take that back and get rid of the idea that " big government is bad" . Government is and should be an institution run by its citizens with those citizens interests in mind. What we have rn is a government run by big business for big business.

@Blindbird
I agree to the extent that the Republican party has their claws into things. I'm not one, though, who accepts the notion that both parties are identical.

@Paul4747 the Democrats are marginally better. They are still in big corps pockets though and equally unwilling to follow the will of the american people. Look at what happened with Bernie vs. Hillary. Dems completely ignored what everyone wanted and cheated, lied and attempted sabotage to push their candidate, who no one wanted to vote for.

Interesting, & accurate, article. I do worry about "States Rights", tho. Much more than just blue being bluer & red being redder, I'm reminded of why we ended up with a Civil War, & how bad some places could get to be. If he thinks our current set-up may cause major unrest, which is quite probable, what would happen if it's every state for itself, & would we still be the "United States" for much longer?

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:127985
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.