Agnostic.com

22 2

What works for you when you have a cold?

I have a sore throat, stuffy nose, hacking cough, and body aches. Summer colds are the worst. Been getting lots of sleep, sucking on zinc lozenges, taking extra vitamin C, drinking hot tea and chicken soup and Theraflu (not together, ew), and at this rate I'll try anything if it works.

bleurowz 8 July 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I once worked for a physician who suggested drinking whisky, When I asked if that would cure the cold, he said, "No, but you won't care."

You just have to ride it out. Treat the symptoms is all you can do. Your immune system is working as those symptoms are the battle going on in your body. Feel better soon.

I use vicks vapor humidifier, works great! I find the more otc drugs I take, the worse I get but take Aleve for aches.

You know you would think since I have an auto-immune disease and I take Methotrexate which suppresses my immune system that I would have a problem with colds but I have not been sick in years

My chicken soup (loads of garlic), Aleve and Claritin. Right as rain, next day.

When I first feel a cold coming on I try vitamin C, vitamin A, zinc, echinacea, and olive leaf extract, and 50% of the time the cold just disappears. I recommend lipospheric vitamin C sold by Livon Labs. It is a bit expensive, but it is the only form of oral vitamin C that is absorbed as well as intravenous vitamin C.

Lemsips and sleep.

I don't know how true it is, but I hear that saunas can help.

With a sore throat I would always visit my MD for a strep test. Better safe than sorry.

If it doesn't go away or gets worse I may do that.

Paracetamol is the wonder drug. Just makes me feel generally better with a cold. Also, a very tall glass of Stones Ginger Wine mixed with Scotch and just a splash of Ginger Ale. Then off to bed.

A little information about colds. From what I have read, there are about 100 strains of the cold virus. When you have a cold, you become immune to that particular strain. Once you have had every strain, you are then immune from them all and will never have a cold again. I am 80 and I have not had a cold in years, for what that is worth.

Interesting. That may explain why I would get a cold almost every year and then stopped for a while. This is my first cold in like five years.

@bleurowz Hopefully, it will be your last.

About 1 week of time plus decongestants.

Whiskey.
And my wife taking care of pooooor sick me.
😉

I have a method for getting rid of the common cold in less than three days, but I can promise you that it's no fun.

At least three times a day, mix 1/2 cup apple cider vinager with 1/2 cup water. Add 1 Tsp. powdered garlic and mix all ingredients. Hold your nose and get it down your throat as fast as you can. It will hurt. I call this mixture The Devil's Butthole, but it will kill the shit out of anything that is flowing through your blood stream.

Also, follow this method once an hour to help your sinuses and lymph nodes stay drained.....

Helpful!

Morphine drip and wait it out.

Where can I get one?

Water, sleep and time. If I have to work I take some meds to cover it up, and function better and wash my hands more often than usual.

MsAl Level 8 July 11, 2018

I'm going through this , too . Welcome to the club .

As you know, nothing cures the cold and it will run its course in its own time.

To alleviate symptoms, I:
-Sleep as much as possible.
-Drink a ton of fluids.
-Take multi-symptom cold meds.
-Use sugar-free lozenges.
-Practice patience.
-Visualize the virus cells dying a merciless death.

Ha! Kidding on the last one.

I just sleep as much as I can. It seems cut the time I am sick in half. At least I am sick for only about half as many days.... Rest and plenty of liquids is still the best thing for a cold.

Sleep, echinacea/goldenseal, plenty of fluids, adding more vitamin c when I'm not sick or starting to feel sick. Green tea honey and lemon. Eucalyptus oil in shower to help breath

"You will get better faster if you cough infectious mucus up and out of your body," my doctor said.

She recommended Mucinex-DM expectorant and cough suppressant (12-hour). Expectorant loosens the gunk in your lungs. Drink extra water to facilitate the process.

"This will stop you from coughing, so you can sleep," she said. "Getting extra sleep will help you heal faster, too."

When I'm sick, I take Emergen-C. If I feel like I'm coming down with a cold, I immediately start taking Emergenc-C. Often this stops me from getting sick.

I'll try them.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:128127
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.