Agnostic.com

17 1

What profession would you have preferred to pursue?

Unfortunately, very few of us wind up with our dream job . . . The kind of work that doesn't seem like work because you love it so much. Assuming it would have been attainable, profitable and sustainable, what career path would you have chosen? AND . . . What did you wind up doing instead?

RobLawrence 7 July 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

17 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Growing cannabis. But it is still illegal, the most dangerous thing about it. Ended up working for the government in order to get the same benefits as Mitch McConnell. He once suggested a constituent do just that when the person complained about not having health care insurance.

With hindsight, I'd have been a florist.

Jnei Level 8 July 11, 2018

Photography on and international scale.

I always wanted to be a music performer. But for every one person you hear on the radio there are a thousand that are just as good but not as lucky. So I decided to do the music job part time and get an education in electronics engineering. Afterwards I got a grad degree in management/economics. I worked my way up the ladder in the Aerospace industry while I continued to develop my music career in parallel.

@RobLawrence I was pretty busy to say the least! I'm retired from Aerospace. I still do music at a comfortable pace.

I'd love to own and operate my own book store. But, with brick and mortar books stores vanishing and the face that I'll likely never have the money to do it means it will never happen.

Had I known at 18 what I know now, I would have gone to culinary school and become a pastry chef. Alas, I am too old to do it now - my body couldn't take the long hours on my feet. So I work in insurance.

GwenC Level 7 July 11, 2018

As a child I wanted to be an Archaeologist. I wanted to go explore the Pyramids of Egypt.

I want to grow certified organic seed okra crops. Silly, huh?

A dream job is still only a dream part of the time. No matter what you do, you have times that you dream of doing something different.

My profession was one I chose as a teenager and pursued and am glad I did, but after getting my degree in education I did not get a teaching job and worked in a good different career (publishing) for a number of years then got back into teaching at 30, and have been doing it for 16 years. It’s something I enjoy most of the time and am good at, but sometimes I think I wish I had become a brewmaster or an historian for a long running brewery (I also have a master’s degree in historical research).

PDF Level 5 July 11, 2018

Had I been able to focus more and actually enjoy school when I was young; I would have chosen to get into some sort of engineering, probably mechanical.

I’d have pursued comedy writing, maybe performing. I wound up as a slot machine attendant. II’s an okay job and I get to write for Facebook.

Plumbing. Pays well and gross stuff doesn’t bother me.

Either a writer or investigative journalist.

Worked in I.T for many years..now I'm in Wharehousing and inventory control.

I am a woodworker, furniture maker and cabinet maker. Have owned my own businesses and worked for others. If I could wake up tomorrow with the knowledge to do something else it would be a surgeon. I am old enough to realize that there are a lot of people out there who need help, I would like to work in some place where I could do that, Do not care about money, has never been a motivation for me, caring for others and doing something that could make a change for others would be great.

I have started to write a book, well I have but not happy with it. Changing things around trying to make it more interesting. Started out as something to do, 600 pages later, Well?

@RobLawrence thanks for the support.

I always wanted to be a pro musician. I was for about 12 years and had to stop because it had became my job! I was once told if you love music don't do it as a career and it my case it was correct.

Archeologist

Omnipotent dictator of the Universe. (SARCASM ALERT)

I've been around long enough to recognize most all "professions" take a tole on the worker. My current "profession" Teacher/IT" is, if money is not your primary desired outcome from a job, currently rewarding. I've dabbled in small time professional (paid position) theater on the stage and in the orchestra pit and found moments on the stage when you guide your audience from happiness to sorrow very rewarding. - - so a professional actor. However, As I really like earning enough money to eat, I'm not sure that would qualify as "preferred to pursue"

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:128467
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.