Agnostic.com

13 2

Any Perry Como Fans in the Peanut Gallery?

Okay, so I'm dating myself, but I'm wondering if anyone else on this site loves the late Perry Como's voice? There's actually a triad of male vocalists that I love: Perry Como, John Gary and Matt Monro---all, sadly, deceased. In my humble opinion, none of the current crop of male singers measures up to these three.

RobLawrence 7 July 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Mr C is one of my favorite male vocalists along with Nat King Cole.

@RobLawrence You lost me on that one. I never cared for any high pitched tenors. To each his own..

@RobLawrence Music is one thing that most everyone has a different flavor for. I prefer instrumental to vocal, I am old school and like the music of the 30s, 40s, 50s. Big Band, Dixieland, Bluegrass, Light Jazz.

@RobLawrence My favorite female vocalist is Anne Murray.

@RobLawrence Try this and pay attention to her accompaniment. Gives me goosebumps.

@RobLawrence AND...Dean Martin. Elvis was also a great crooner!

"Dream along with me....I'm on my way to the stars." Remember he used to have a big white cockatoo who would sit on his shoulder while he sang? I saw the bird bite the HELL out of his ear on camera once! Perry never blinked. His voice was rich and mellow, and even as a small child, I loved him.

I was and still am a Perry Como fan.

My late and great Uncle Frank was a big Como fan. He attended one of his shows at the Circle Star Theatre in San Carlos, CA. Mostly I just remember him singing his songs more than playing his records.

GIve Mr Buble a go. Rather than croon he's sort of jazzish inspired like Tony Bennett but got an incredible tone and easy delivery

I can't sing for the life of me, but I am a musician, I've written tons of peices. But even though I can't sing, I've always had a great admiration for those that can.
Perry Como is one of them. He was a bit before my time, but my mom loved his voice, and I got to hear a lot of his songs from my mom playing them back in the day. Damn good singer.

Como was one of the great crooners --in a class with Bing Crosby and Bony Bennett.

I know of Matt Monro. He was a great vocalist. I agree with you about today's singers.

I did like Matt Monro.

I'm hesitant to lump Mr. C--who started as a big band singer, then transitioned into MOR--with male vocalists from different schools and eras, such as George Jones (country), Otis Redding (R&B), or Robert Plant (rock). But regarding that pop genre I am a fan of the vocal stylings of the man from Canonsburg (just three counties away from me, btw). Tony Bennett is still my all-time favorite among the standards singers; I consider Al Martino the most underrated. And in my opinion Willie Nelson is as good a cross-generational stylist as anyone.

@RobLawrence I have, and to John Gary as well.

The Bluest Skies you've ever seen are in Seattle! I remember Perry Como sang the theme song for "Here Come the Brides" when I was a girl.

I can dig on some Perry Como, having been fed a steady diet of AM radio as a young boy. Although I'd prefer something like Nat King Cole. Or Johnny Mathis, god damn that dude could sing.

@RobLawrence I agree with the "Stardust" song.

Yes guilty as accused..love Perry Como.. Andy Williams....not just their voices...but their style of how they lent their voices to the songs..

They sang with heart..like poets reading their own poetry if you know what I mean..

Mr C recorded an album in Nashville with the Nashville sound and it was exceptional (IMO). The Album title was, "The Scene Changes", and it can be heard on YouTube. You can search YouTube for 'Perry Como The Scene Changes" and will have links to listen to all 12 songs.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:128486
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.