Agnostic.com

3 1

Have souls really been debunked?

I had read an article on Facebook, a science page I follow, and it said souls had been debunked. All because there is no afterlife. So there really is no possible way for any human or animal to have a soul. Is this true, or is it just a theory?

Sarahroo29 8 Jan 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Existence of souls (or any other mythical entities) is an abstract and irrational belief, thus it should be accepted as "disproven" by default.
Yet we, humans, often need to believe something exists there, beyond our senses and understandings. I find completely fine for a person to have some irrational believes as long as these do not lead that person to causing harm to others.

Oh, okay. Thanks.

Since the soul is basically an undefined mythical concept, technically it can't be debunked. Like you can't prove angels (or God) don't exist, because they are undefinable in any scientific sense. That being said, some of the latest thinking on consciousness posits that it is a quantum state, and thus timeless. Could this be our soul? Maybe, but pretty speculative. Dunno, will find out when I die, as will we all.

Did they say scientifically proven? Or did they give the interpretation?

I don't remember. It was a while ago that I read it.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12855
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.