Agnostic.com

46 8

How many of you pronounce the "t" in often?

I don't and when I hear it, it always sounds odd..

stomato 6 July 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

46 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I always do. Every time.

So, Often?

Always. But then, I'm British.

Jnei Level 8 July 12, 2018

It's not too late to go back to speaking pure and proper English 😉

@DZhukovin I speak RP - so it probably is too late for me!

@Jnei

Haha yup

I always have, I was just brought up that way.

But the one that gets me in a bunch is when people pronounce the word aunt, as ant. that drives me nuts.

In my part of the world, Iowa and the midwest, it was pronounced ant and I never heard it pronounced otherwise until I was in my twenties and doing some traveling.

I've always said "ant." Idaho as a young child; California as a teen. I don't like "ont."

I had to say it a few times and think about it.
I think I do pronounce the "T" in often.
But I also pronounce the "L" in solder.
Sometimes I even pronounce the "K" in knife.

scurry Level 9 July 12, 2018

Okay, the knife thing is a little weird!! Hahaha!

@stomato lol. I only do it around certain people. ?

I've always said it as off-ten.

I said it out loud and I do not pronounce it at all

Offen

Raises hand.

Also the th in clothes, et cetera.

I’m weird about enunciation.

Does anyone pronounce the "t" in soften? Of course not, the t is silent as it is in often. I also treat the "u" in aunt as silent but I think that's more of a regional thing. Speaking of the silent "t" there's a story that Jean Harlow met Margot Asquith and pronounced her name as "Mar-gott". Lady Asquith told her the "t" was silent, like the "t" in "Harlow"

It's a regional thing and I presume corresponds with the local accent. I'm in UK and it wouldn't have ever crossed my mind to say often with a silent t! I mustve heard it like that on TV etc but never noticed.

Salo Level 7 July 11, 2018

I'm not so sure it's a regional thing. I have never pronounced the 't', but my daughter does. It really bugs me that she does, too! Hahaha! Her reason when I asked her, "because there's a 't' in it." I didn't ask her at the time how she pronounces 'herbs'!! Haha!

I do. I had to think about it.

I used to, many years ago, but no longer pronounce the 't'.

I always pronounce the "t".

I do

GwenC Level 7 July 11, 2018

No that’s weird

Never

Nope

Right here.

Always.

Bryan Level 5 July 11, 2018

Nope never have.

I think I used to and a big fuss was made in 7th or 8th grade when I pronounced it; the teacher said something about Shakespeare and I wasn't sure if I pronounced it and wasn't supposed to or didn't pronounce and was told that I should. Anyway, don't think I do nowadays, but I suspect the answer is that I usually do not, but sometimes do.

Always pronounce the T.

I do.

Off-ten

Not often.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:128610
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.