Agnostic.com

46 8

How many of you pronounce the "t" in often?

I don't and when I hear it, it always sounds odd..

stomato 6 July 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

46 comments (26 - 46)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nope

Never

No that’s weird

I said it out loud and I do not pronounce it at all

Offen

I always pronounce the "t".

I've always said it as off-ten.

I do. I had to think about it.

I don't. My partly British education is to blame!
But instead of ..not often...i say seldom which you don't here that often anymore.

I do.

No, but I have a rich local accent, and round ere we wudent say offen anyroad, we'd say much.

Aubz Level 2 July 12, 2018

I don't

Always.

Very seltdom.

I do. It's just proper english pronounciation.

Plus, how is someone going to justify that they are speaking when they are not doing it with clarity? Speaking a language is necessarily to precisely speak that language.

Always pronounce the T.

I think I used to and a big fuss was made in 7th or 8th grade when I pronounced it; the teacher said something about Shakespeare and I wasn't sure if I pronounced it and wasn't supposed to or didn't pronounce and was told that I should. Anyway, don't think I do nowadays, but I suspect the answer is that I usually do not, but sometimes do.

Nope never have.

Does anyone pronounce the "t" in soften? Of course not, the t is silent as it is in often. I also treat the "u" in aunt as silent but I think that's more of a regional thing. Speaking of the silent "t" there's a story that Jean Harlow met Margot Asquith and pronounced her name as "Mar-gott". Lady Asquith told her the "t" was silent, like the "t" in "Harlow"

I do

GwenC Level 7 July 11, 2018

I used to, many years ago, but no longer pronounce the 't'.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:128610
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.