Agnostic.com

4 3

Identity Beliefs

Does anyone else find it interesting to consider the thoughts and beliefs we have personally held in the past and identified with as being who we are? But then to consider further that although the thoughts and beliefs we cherish today are different, if I still identify with them as who I am, I'm still the same schmuck with different beliefs.

kenbur12 5 July 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have been a Liberal, caring, compassionate, empathetic, non-violent, pacifist, inclusive, humanist (I have to stop somewhere) all my life and will remain so until the day of my demise.

Outstanding personality traits to have. Please carry on....

@kenbur12 Thank you. I could be no other way.

How about a person with permanent amnesia?

I can't imagine a person being able to function very well by his or herself having permanent amnesia

It seems to me that we gradually change into a new and different person. Our selfhood seems continuous because of the memory trace, but old memories are gradually forgotten. We might say that we are reincarnated versions of our former selves.

Personal identity is quite an enigma. I lean toward thinking that our sense of self as a separate entity is an illusion.

Reincarnated versions of our former self. I really liked the way you put that and the reliability of our memories are most definitely questionable. I fully agree with you that our sense of self as a separate entity is an illusion.

Absolutely agree. An excellent way of expressing it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:128629
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.