Agnostic.com

41 2

How do you feel about religious music being played in a gym?

The gym I go to don’t do it all the time, but I’ve noticed sometime they play Christian music and to be honest, Christian music don’t motivate me enough to want to work out hard enough. I still workout hard, but I prefer regular music to get my adrenaline going when I work out. I have to have music that keeps me going and keeps me excited enough.

EmeraldJewel 7 July 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

41 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I personally wouldn't care; I think I'm more offended by country music. If it's a private establishment I respect their right to play crap music. If it bothered me greatly I'd find a new place.
That being said if it was government or funded by the government then I'd have a problem. The YMCA for instance, as far as I know, is still funded by the government at least in part. At that point I feel that it is government pushing a religious agenda.

@Fulishsage -- The YMCA, like almost all organizations structured as non profit, is financed by donations.

[geneseeymca.org]

Indirectly, all of us subsidize the Y because they operate tax free for the most part, but it is hardly government funded in any other way.

@evidentialist thanks for the information. I knew that other clubs have felt the YMCA had an unfair advantage due to government assistance, I did not realise it was in the form of taxes.

Interestingly enough, my local Y, even though it's got Xtian quotes in great big letters in its lobby, is the only gym I've been to that explicitly states it supports folks using the restroom/locker room that corresponds with their gender identity.

Are there no other gyms there? Do you wear ear plugs? Do you ever feel suicidal thoughts creeping into your brain when you are there?

There are other gyms, but this particular gym is he only one with CrossFit class. It’s a public gym so I’ll see about having them change the music.

@EmeraldJewel It is most likely a gym open to the public but is a private business.

Honestly, in the gym I love to play some raging heavy metal to get me amped.
But to tell the truth, I love to listen, and play a lot of Classical music, mainly Bach or Vivaldi. who were very religious, and were inspired for their love of god that made them write such beautiful pieces. I don't feel the same reverance to god when I listen to their music, or when writing my own. But I sometimes do not care where the inspiration comes from, to me the music speasks for itself.

I love Bach, but not for exercise.

What a beautiful expression about creativity. As you say, who cares where it comes from. You can always tell when the muse or the intellect has been at work! Depth of expression from the muse, flatland conformity or construction from the intellect.

If I were going to your gym, @EmeraldJewel, I'd be annoyed. But then again, some of the non-religious music they play at the gym I don't go to as often as I should is annoying also, not so much for the content of the lyrics but the awfulness of the music that those damn kids are listening to these days.

(Old man now shakes fist at cloud and tells kids to get off his lawn.)

Yes, those damn pesky kids and their awful noise!. Why can't they listen to proper music like Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix and David Bowie as we did! 😮. We certainly didn't irritate our older generation!

It is indeed annoying, but I’ve recently found some badass gym music that got my adrenaline so I think I solved the problem. iPod and headphones now! Woo! Woo!

Great .. better than hop-hip.

well, there is that at least.

Head phones...

Buddha Level 8 July 11, 2018

Yup!

Kinda like when I go to one of my local McDonald's or this auto repair place and they always have Fox News on TV. I wish they would choose a different channel but can't do much about it.

I can’t really understand how anyone could get their “sweat on” to light acoustic ramblings about Jesus. Lolol

Lmfao me, either!

I would just bring my iPhone and listen to my own music. That way I can create my own playlist to what gets me pumped up instead of rolling the dice on whatever music they decide to play.

If it’s a privately owned gym, you have no real say in what the play. I mean, you can pull your membership but it won’t change anything. If it’s a corporation that runs it, like 24 Hour Fitness, then you have a few options by complaint to management or sending an email to their headquarters. But again, that likely won’t do anything.

Leo716 Level 6 July 12, 2018

Yeah, I’ve just decided to purchase an iPod , gather my headphones and just put on the kind of music I like to get my adrenaline going! Christian music just don’t do it for me lol.

I find it loathsome anywhere.

You and me both.

It sounds as if the person working there is imposing his religious beliefs on you by playing the music of his or her religion. If they advertised as a Christian owned gym,then that would be one thing,but if they didn't then they are stepping over a line. You have a right to complain. I am sure a Christian would complain if Satanic music was being played. If they have that right,then so do you.

Ikr! Lol

I speak up, nicely, and let them know there are some that are not thrilled with the choice.

That’s exactly what I tend to do as soon as the boss is back and ask is there a special reason why the music has gone from normal to Christian music.

Eww...

CK-One Level 6 July 11, 2018

Yeah WHY?! That is terrible! Not just as an atheist but as a human being with ears!

Nope, I'd ask for it to be changed or change gyms.

Totally wrong!

Well, I would not be motivated to exercise to Christian music. But, I get my back up at all Christian music in the greater public space, because in the past it has been used to manipulate for their beliefs! I might tolerate music without words...but most Christian music with words, just irritates me now!

I'd be asking them to change it because it was offensive to me.
If they didn't, I'd be asking to end my membership.

Not appropriate.

t1nick Level 8 July 11, 2018

It’s unacceptable to play music with an agenda in a place that should be welcoming to a cross-section of society.

I would have no issues with it as a private business and my choice and decision if I wanted to continue to be a member, for whatever reason.

I would complain. I am a due paying member so I will make my voice heard.

It's no fun but in the gyms I've gone to it only makes an appearance mixed with other kinds of music. My current gym (part of a national chain) gets complaints about the music all the time. Whatever they play, someone is going to going to be angry. If they played Christian music (or anything I didn't like -- heck, the other day I ran faster because some guy was playing some pop music I didn't want to hear) for long periods that annoyed me, I would look into bringing my own music to the gym. I might consider switching gyms if I thought it would help or if it made sense (time on contract, other gyms, etc.).

Its not cool, they should play normal music that members wanna listen to , i would put my opinion in they're management team lols

I’m more offended by so many TVs in public spaces (waiting rooms, gyms...) having Fox News on.

UUNJ Level 8 July 11, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:128647
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.