Agnostic.com

22 4

Would you be willing to die for your beliefs?

Thankfully, we, living in the 21st century in the developed world, don't have to confront this question in reality, but it's still interesting to think about.

So here's the hypothetical- The inquisitors are dragging you off to the torture chamber. Do you say "bring it you ignorant barbarians" or renounce your agnosticism/atheism, drop to your knees and say "oh lord baby Jesus I see the light"

• 15 votes
  • 25 votes
RoboGraham 8 Jan 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Dead is dead - end of story. "Those who fight and run away, live to fight another day".

Tell them to go F themselves with my dying breath! But then, I have anger issues.......

Got to love that response

Of course not? Why would I kill myself just to show defiance to somebody who is a mad moron and asshole? I would tell them anything they want to hear in the most convincing manner imaginable just to get free and organise and help the resistance.

To save my life?! Oh hell yah, praise be to the little baby Jesus. There is often a thin line between courage and stupidity.

My attitude also Rudy.

I believe in gravity, but I wouldn’t die for it. I might die as a result of it.

"Chicken out" every time. They don't even need to actually use the torture equipment, just make me believe that they actually would. Torture isn't worth it. They can make me say whatever they want. But they can't change what's in my mind.

To quote an expression, freedom is the only cause worth dying for.

Harder to live with my beliefs. I choose to stand firm on them, regardless.

If my life was at risk I could be convinced to drop to my knees and do just about anything, that doesn't mean that I would actually believe or practice any faith with any sort of meaning. I just enjoy being alive to much, there are things I would die for, this just doesn't seem worthy.

Dav87 Level 6 Jan 5, 2018

I would stand firm, plus I welcome death at this point

I used to say that if someone held a gun to my head and asked me my religion I would say Taoist. But now I realize I would likely say whatever religion the person holding the gun was (at least my best guess). Make believe is make-believe is make-believe and I can play make-believe, too, if it will save my ass and allow me to fight another day.

It depends on how vital the particular beliefs is to me. Not all beliefs are the same.

I have no idea what will be my state of mind at that moment. I had already faced similar situation of a 45 in my head a 38 in my ribs. But it wasn't my beliefs what was going to get me killed but it was a life/death situation for being at the wrong place at the wrong time. And I did faced an option of pulling the wheel against an incoming police car saying the hell with it we might as well all die right here right now, but that would not help my family you see? I could say my mind did not shut down and accepted my eminent death, I have a lot to live for at the time including an unborn child. The man is his and his circumstances. I convinced them I was only worth to them alive and my destruction will be their destruction. but that not always work and I understand that... I remember my wife saying afterwards ..."and you still not believe in god". And I simply said yes... I didn't pray to save me... I talked my way out of it. I wanted to live. Sent me back in time to those times and let's see what I come up with... Sometimes a man will take the hero approach and say being defiant will be what's going to piss you off all day other times live to die another day and make you pay for it is the correct approach and the most logical... the game of the game is staying alive while we are here in this plane. Depends on the day of the week I guess but whatever decision you make include your loved ones in that decision and don't be that selfish.

live to fight another day

Since I haven't been tortured for my beliefs, I really don't know what I would do. Not crazy about pain and have only had children, kidney stones, broken bones, diseased gall bladder, and a torn rotator cuff. I don't mind the thought of leaving mortality but would prefer doing it quickly. I might just say, "I'm going to meet Jesus, you know, the guy you're killing me for." just to piss em off.

Goat Level 5 Jan 7, 2018

And who would want to live in a world like that anyway? The world is already getting to that point that death may be better than living in such a fucked-up society.

Don't like the "chicken out" option - could you change it to "be intelligent about it"? I'd be on my knees doing whatever they wanted, then planning to resist when I had a few more good cards in my hand. Just like Daniel Craig as James Bond. Gosh. Oops, got sidetracked. As an atheist I know that this life is all we've got, which makes it so precious. If those christians/muslims didn't think they were going straight heaven after the lions/planes had ripped them apart, they might have changed their minds too.

Sure "chicken out" isn't the best way to put it. Call it what you will, I would do the same. Martyrdom is much more of a christian thing.

@RoboGraham - and muslim.

"I'm not dying for my beliefs. I could be wrong". Woody Allen

well, there are some radicals who would kill me just for being a non-believer or for my tattoos and lifestyle. if I was asked by people who were going to kill me I would lie. if my lifestyle was threatened like from extremists id rather fight than live like they do with others like me. I can pull a trigger.

I would lie to prevent myself from being extinguished, but that would not change my beliefs......

jasen Level 8 Jan 5, 2018

I would die for any of my strongly held beliefs. Atheism/agnosticism is most certainly one of them. Not to mention general truth and integrity. Would not renounce logic and my own honour just to MAYBE avoid torture and death. My idealism can be at odds with my wisdom...hopefully it doesnt get me killed one day l m a o...why does it put l m a o in caps automatically. Thas dum.

probably not

Haha, I think this one might be unanimous. It's a decision we make every day (sort of).

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12884
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.