Agnostic.com

3 2

LINK 5,300 Years Ago, Ötzi the Iceman Died. Now We Know His Last Meal.

We finally know what Otzi's last meal was (20 years later)

...The events surrounding Ötzi's death are still debated. His many recent wounds point to violent conflict, and some say Ötzi fled into the mountains while being hunted down. But Maixner says that the last meal points to a slightly different story: “I personally think he was prepared for this trek.”

The mix of cereals and meats—and just two completed arrows in his deer hide quiver—suggests he hadn't just eaten a fresh kill. Instead, in the hours before his death, Ötzi likely consumed the contents of what Maixner calls “a well-prepared doggy bag.”

Lukian 8 July 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hmm, or he got into an argument during his last meal. 🙂

I love this stuff. Nat Geo is a favorite.

Fascinating. Archaelogist Lawrence Barfield, Ph.D. of Oxford University in England, is an expert on the Iceman. Lawrence was featured in a National Geographic special on the Iceman. I have the videotape.

Lawrence is married to my mother's cousin, artist Marylane Barfield.

Marylane is the first American and first woman to be elected president of the Royal British Society of Fine Artists. They live in Birmingham, England.

Small world.

I think I saw that NG Special. Fascinating family ties you have!!

On the subject of Otzi: apparently it took a while to find his stomach because of how crushed he was from the snow and ice. They found it near one of his shoulder.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:129230
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.