Agnostic.com

16 2

Tell us how your toddlers would pronouce certain words,

Especially if you still use those pronunciations today! My youngest son loved to chew on ice when he was just a year or two old. He would come to me and ask 'ikabow, mom, ikabow'' which meant ice cube. I would bite off a small piece for him and he would toddle off and be back in a little while for more. He's 30 now, and I cannot help but call ice 'ikabow' now and then, even if he's not in the room! Hahahaha! Love it!

stomato 6 July 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Emily was about 5. We were driving through the cow farm area south of MSU.
"What's that smell? Is that cow maneuver?"
"Yes, Emily, that's cow maneuver."

JacarC Level 8 July 14, 2018

Pre-toddler, like a month old and my son cried in such a way when he was hungry that it sounded like he was crying "hungy." He's almost 8 now, but catch myself asking him if he is "Hungy" once in a while.

My name is Chris which is fairly easy to pronounce. However, I've known quite a few children who just couldn't say it and they all called me Phris.

The best mispronunciation goes to a cousin who had difficulty saying can't.

mt49er Level 7 July 13, 2018

No kids here but my niece and nephew both called me Auntie Bow. They couldn't say Val. My brother got a kick out of it and still to this day calls me Auntie Bow.

My son used to say his "magic nation" for imagination. My granddaughter used to say "maouwewwen" for watermelon. I still use both!

Della Level 6 July 13, 2018

My daughter said shicken instead of chicken and she would really emphasize the shhhh when she said it. 🙂

My eldest use to ask me to "bop de billow." She wanted her pillow fluffed. We used to roughhouse and say we were going to bop each other, so she thought you bopped pillows, too.
My middle one had so many, but my favorite of hers was "T'like" which morphed into "Tenlike" both of which were derived from "Pretend like..."
My youngest called ballerinas, "bally-reenies". She would get on tippy toes, with her arms in a circle, and pirouette singing "I a bally-reenie!"

My son had a bunch. They're so adorable at that age
Ice cream was "crice"
Peanut butter was "peeny putter"
Thumb was "flum"
Yellow was "elyo"
Upside down was "up-I-side-down"
All food was a compound word "meatcheese, popcheese and cakecheese"
and his name, Vincent, was CC (we called him that until he forbade it age about age 14)

Quite a few in my house:
Toilet wiper
Cousint
Bray slip (bracelet)
Stheet (sheet)
Mexicil Bridges (Mexican Village)
Fruity chew (juicy fruit gum)

My son had trouble with the word “fire truck.” We were in public and he kept exclaiming “fuck! Fuck!”
My friend called the pacifier “sucky.” Which also sounded pretty funny with a her tot hollering it!

The fire truck reference is classic. My sister tripped on a toy truck one time when we had company at the house. She was about 2 years old. She said 'oh, fuck'! We all just lost it!

Lellow for yellow and once she seen me eating a spoonful of peanut butter and stared for a few seconds, put her hand on her hip, cooked her head sideways and said "mommy, I want some Peanut butter with a spoon on it."

Daphne Level 4 July 12, 2018

My boy used to say cah-zhue instead of cozy. "Get cah-zhue mom-mom"

My nephew said "holjin" for "hold you." "Pinta, holjin. Holjin, Pinta."

My daughter, Claire, couldn't pronounce "L" at first. She called herself "Cwaire."

Claire loved her kind, male speech therapist in elementary school. Her speech issue was cleared up by first grade.

"A tomato is coming! A tomato is coming!" I hollered, running home from kindergarten.

School had closed due to a tornado warning.

My oldest once told me she wanted Gro shries for lunch. She was about 2.5 to 3 years old. We had just brought home groceries, which is what I thought she said. It took a few minutes for me to hear Grilled Cheese.

?either way, she wasn't wrong!

@Notlost I know, that was the problem! I told her, "honey we have to narrow it down a little, we've got lots of food here." Ahhhhh kids! And she just had her first child 11 weeks ago.

My daughter had a speech impediment as a small child and anything with tr.. turned into an f.... so trying to say truck always came out as fuck......bless her little heart. 😀

My son didn't even have that excuse... fire truck was "fire fire fruck" (only after he learned to enunciate the R), and our parrot's name became Fucker.

@GinaMaria ha ha that's just great.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:129388
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.