Agnostic.com

42 5

Spice Rack

What is the one spice/herb in your cupboard that you reach for most often when cooking? (Salt is NOT a spice/herb)

Crimson67 8 July 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

42 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I use cumin and Italian seasoning most of the time

dc65 Level 7 July 12, 2018

I could not live without the holy trinity of garlic, ginger and chilli.

Strabo Level 6 July 12, 2018

Italian seasoning.

Cinnamon.

Carin Level 8 July 12, 2018

Tony chachiros

Garlic as well

Oregano

Seasoned salt

I use a variety of distinct combinations of about 14 spices and seasonings depending on what I'm cooking but the ones that almost always crop up are:

Garlic
White/Black/Cayenne Pepper
Paprika
Cooking sherry

Oragano is one I use for poultry, beef, and lamb almost every single time. Oh thyme is another one I like. Rosemary is to herbatious for me and I can’t stand basil.

Garlic is big in my kitchen too. I never understood the concept of rubbing raw garlic on toast for garlic toast until I tried it. Only way I make buttered garlic toast now..

@Knd502 I’ve done that lots of times! Love it and use it as a spread! I want to find black garlic and roast it the same way.

@Crimson67 I’ll use rosemary in small amounts. I’m not really sure what it is about basil that I don’t like, but I can’t stand pesto because of it. Don’t do cilantro either. It taste like soap to me. I’m weird

Only one? In that case, it's garlic powder.

Garlic is my first choice as well, usually fresh, but I started using garlic powder when my daughter was young and suspicious of anything in her food. Onion powder as well. They season without leaving a trace to be found. 🙂

Lemon pepper.

@Storybook I use lemon pepper for fish a LOT. I also enjoy it on sauteed spinach, but just a dash!!

@Storybook You got me thinking - it's awesome on strong flavored veggies in general like asparagus. Experiment as it can overpower weaker flavors! 😛

@poetdi56 Mmmmmm.....I like the idea of lemon pepper on spinach.

@Donotbelieve On salmon it's da bomb!!!!

@Storybook I use it on fish, chicken, vegetables, and potatoes. Gives wonderful flavor without overpowering. Sometimes I don't need anything else.

Either garlic or black pepper.

Black/ white pepper is a must!

Pepper

I can't say one becuase I use a combo a lot.

Oregano, basil, parsley, garlic, onion.
I seen to put these 5 in almost everything. Meatloaf, breading, even my pancake batter.

Angus Level 5 July 13, 2018

Pancake batter? Please tell me you don't put syrup on herb and spice pancakes.

@BlueWave
Nope, just a little butter.

Cumin or curry

I guess the one is cumin. The two is curry.

Gert Level 7 July 13, 2018

How 'bout seasoned salt?

Only if it's Lawry's. 🙂 Kidding. Where I live, people are addicted to Tony's.

@BlueWave I don't cook very often. Can you tell?

black pepper.

I almost wrote that! Then I guessed it wouldn't fit the bill. But, I do use it more than any other seasoning, not including salt.

@BlueWave gotta put the pepper to it!

Garlic powder and onion powder.
They are tied.

Oregano. I chop fresh garlic

Curry

Has anyone ever used Spike? It's not my most often used, but it is my fav!!!

I end up using a chili powder blend the most.

Chicken salt. Lately I have been putting it on everything

GwenC Level 7 July 13, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:129418
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.