Agnostic.com

5 2

QUESTION Egypt’s parliament in bid to ban atheism

“Atheists in Egypt are afraid to publicly come out as such," Hazem, 35, told Al-Monitor. "If you proclaim yourself a nonbeliever, you literally open the gates of hell; you stand to lose many of your friends and will be treated like an outcast. Your own family may accuse you of mental illness and possibly disown you. We are being forced to live as hypocrites for fear of facing discrimination and harassment.” Hazem, who asked to be identified with a pseudonym for his protection, was born and raised a Muslim but became an atheist when he turned 18 “after reading books on Islam and Christianity and listening to religious debates that left me unconvinced.”

zblaze 7 Jan 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No matter what laws may be passed it is impossible to regulate one's mind with respect to the believes it holds.It will depend on the person as to how openly they can profess their believes however they will automatically take into consideration the atmosphere they reside in.

You know, and I can't believe that I'm saying this, sometimes the truth hurts, and Trump maybe right, some countries are shitholes

I think that I'd rather live in a shit hole country than in one that has a buffoon like Trump as their wannabe dictator.

Between that & attacks by groups such as ISIS against Coptic Christians & others not only Egypt, but the whole Arab world is heading for rough times. Don't look to the U.S. as a brake on this action, either. I think it entirely possible that we will end up with our own "showdown" here. As it is it is an uphill fight to keep the "wall of separation" standing!

The middle east will be the last religious stronghold

crazy not allowed to think for yourself

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12985
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.