Agnostic.com

8 0

Telepathy - Science or Superstition?
I believe that origin of superstition is in large part our ancestors trying to make sense of some phenomena that was impossible to fully comprehend at the time. (ex: Lightening, the finger of god, etc) I know I have a lot of trouble comprehending Quantum Mechanics, but I know its science. But some of the things I find out about our physical universe also makes me wonder about the validity of things that would be 'science' if better known.

RobCampbell 7 Jan 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have no clue as I'm telepathetic.

I am not one who accepts any of the paranormal posits -- and ESP is in that category. Now, that stands as a glaring contradiction to some of my writing, though I do manage to control my urges pretty well. I've written about toothless vampires, for cryin' out loud. In one of my novels I managed to get around the issue of functional telepathy through the use of nanotechnology, but reined it in with real physical limitations for UHF ultra low power transmissions. I avoided explaining how these 'brain' signals were translated into something intelligible to the receiving party. I didn't want to stir that can of worms any more than I had to. I try to keep my Science Fiction inside the realm of the plausible (stretching the envelope, of course) and avoid the magical. Magical? Anything that can't be translated into actual science.

This is not to say that I dismiss such notions out of hand, but because we have no evidence for any of it, I am no more willing to accept it than I am to accept the existence of a deity, talking snakes, fairies, and bridge trolls.

Thank you for your comments. I can't help but think that there is a natural force or energy associated to thought that can be broadcast, in effect making the brain a kind of transceiver. I know it is not scientific and is pretty off the wall, but there it is! 70% of the mass of the Universe is 'dark' - we don't know what energies exist except for the most obvious ones.

I am really good at predicting the breakdown of relationships... It actually scares people a bit, so I only have one friend I talk to about it now (he's a bit strange, like me). I have made 4 predictions of marriage/long term relationship failures so far, and all have come true over the time frame I predicted.

I am not psychic, I simply pick up on irritation between the couples, and the patterns of behaviour that trigger it. I can see how intrinsic an "annoying" behaviour is to the acting party, and so can tell if the relationship is likely to fail or not. I am not a genius psychologist, nor a keen behaviourist- I just watched my parents argue a lot as a kid! If I were so inclined I am sure I could market it as some form of supernatural power, but that would be misleading... Just like everyone who claims quantum mechanics is the source of telepathy is being misleading.

Things "down there" in the quantum world are weird, at times counterintuitive, and certainly don't obey what we think of as chance... but there is no hidden connection between the mind and the universe, just a universe forever on the verge of being understood.

Telepathy has been not been studied even for military use. Both the U.S. and U.S.S.R. did attempt to study it during the cold war. Why did they not in fact study it? There was nothing to observe at all. After all kinds of experiments made years of research there was no evidence there was in fact anything to study.

Science is wonderful for studying mold on bread. However, when things get subtle, the petri dish is clumsy.

You're only thinking of biology 😉

We will undeniably discover new facts in the future, but that doesn’t justify believing in any of it now.

skado Level 9 Jan 6, 2018

Not enough like buttons.

I think human behavior is predictable in all forms (e.g., thoughts and actions). I think prediction, however, is predicated on knowledge. For me telepathy is another way of saying prediction.

Nailed it.

I don't believe telepathy exists. I think people can thinks similar thoughts, and I believe people can know each other well enough to know what the other will think in a given situation. I believe you can train people to react in certain ways to certain prompts.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:12991
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.