Agnostic.com

32 5

Where is your stance on tattoos?

I have a few, and am getting more. I have been asked by a few believers "why?" My response is generally, because I can, and usually I add, it's meaningful to me, and if it's a trusted reputable sanitary place, there's not a problem.

My son has Type 1 diabetes. He would like to get a tattoo for medical indication now that he's a licensed driver. He's 16 and doesn't like wearing medical alert jewelry or bracelets like that. I have no issue with him getting a tattoo as it is for medical reasons. His father says not until he turns 18 (we have joint custody) and I would like both of us to be on board with this.

Where is your stance on tattoos?

MyLiege 7 Jan 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Your body, your choice. Have known people who regretted facial and hand tattoos, cause, you know, ten years down the road you might want to interview for that six figure dream job. My brother is covered with them, but yeah, he puts on a suit and tie and no one knows. 🙂

I'm covered and it's my skin so I don't care what other people think.

I have one, and bought my daughter one for her 21st birthday, hmmm, I think she now has far too many, they seem addictive to some people.

Yes they are definitely addictive to some people. It took me several years before the temptation to have another receded.

I agree with your reasoning. All of mine either have a specific meaning, or at least connected to a period of my life. I've always said that I could never understand those people who walk into a tattoo parlor and say "ummmm.....give me number 37." Or the people who get things like nautical stars on their elbows or tribals on their biceps etc. Why would you want a tattoo that so many other people have? As for your son, a good compromise might be implanting an RFID chip. It's the size of a grain of rice, when scanned it can bring up his info, and it's not a tattoo. Especially because if I was 16, I wouldn't want my first tattoo to be my medical info. Him not wanting to wear the bracelets temporarily when he's outside the house, he's really not going to want a permanent bracelet he can never remove for the rest of his life.

A medical label is not a tattoo. It is a responsible medical decision.

When it comes to tattoos, I like the 18 or parental consent stance. If I had a child that wanted a tattoo, the requirement would be an essay that effectively details the tattoo and it's meaning to you. Spelling and grammar counts. Length is irrelevant. I intend to teach my children that life decisions should be approached as a persuasive essay.

I wanted a Santa themed birthday when I was 4-12. I have showed up to all my friends special events dressed as Santa. I want a Santa hat tattooed on my left shoulder because this is something that has been important to me for as long as I can remember and even if that changes, I want to remember this.

That is all a 12 year old would have to write for me to drive them to the tattoo parlor, assuming it was fact checked. A 16 year old would have to provide more content to demonstrate the same level of commitment.

Have some, like them. I'm also considering having my blood type tattooed on the inside of my elbows. Apocraphyly, I've heard of a Dr having "Not for resuscitation" tattooed on his sternum.

Oooh! I like the not for rescusitation one!

I have several. If my son was a type 1 diabetic, was 16 and wanted a small tattoo indicating his health condition, then we'd be in the nearest (cleanest) tattoo parlor. It's for his safety and piece of mind for everyone that loves him. I'd also be in court fighting with his dad about good parenting. However, it's an easy call, and something small and simple could save his life.

I too have tattoos done at a professional sanitary place. I am recently divorced with children so I understand that the concept of co parenting isn't always easy. For example I'm a vegan, but my children basically have been told my dietary choices aren't natural and don't provide enough protein. Thus they eat meat with their Dad...but I feel almost at a loss because there are two parents involved,not just one and we have to try and work together for the benefit of the children.

I have 7. 3 stick and poke, 4 gun done.

I have none. My dad put me off, He was a sailor and had an anchor with the name Joyce underneath. My mums name was Eileen.

I think they're absolutely wonderful.

"Your body is a temple, so decorate it." - I can't remember

I'm not against them, but I'm glad as hell that I didn't have some Christian tattoo put on my body when I was still in that mode of life, lol.

I think the biggest reason I avoid tattoos is because my tastes and preferences change too quickly to have something so permanent. That, and I'm a wimp who doesn't like pain.

I'm not crazy about pain, but it you get placed over muscle it hurts far less than over bone. My first tatt was for my metamorphosis from wedded unbliss to single and workin in. The next tatt will be for my babies, all of them, human and fur. My current tatt and future tatts will be on places easy to cover, just my preference.

My father had a belly dancer on one arm which his strong muscles could wiggle at will, and an anchor on the other arm! He was a sailor.

I have no tattoos mainly because I can't think of what to have...maybe a symbol for my non belief.

I like to be different, my skin is beautiful as it is...But everybody sees things differently and that's as it should be.

As a believer in personal freedom, it is your choice and none of my business, but I would decline having a tattoo myself.

Well, in two years it will no longer be your lawful body, and you will have no say, either way.

Have him research the ink they are developing for type1. My daughter has followed my footsteps, and is slowly getting covered. She’s 28. Brittle t1. She said she wants to wait a few years, so they knock all the kinks out.

@Annaleda I hadn’t thought about specific ink for T1D. Didn’t know that existed. Thanks!

I've considered tattoos but I don't have any. I'm old enough to remember the world before tattoos became fashionable. I don't have any other decorations, and I can't think of anything so profound to say that I want to wear it till I die.

I personally dont have any. The idea of being poked with a needle 1000s of times never appealed to me. Doesn`t matter to me if anyone else has them. I always insisted my kids wait until they were 18 before they got any. I can certainly understand a tattoo for medical reasons.

Della Level 6 Jan 6, 2018

Never had any, they could be beautiful pieces of art but... not for me. Funny my two girls have plenty... My boy none. Different generation I am just not that "permanent".

I'm covered in them and want more.

Holy Smokes! Why do people get haircuts? Why do people get their ears pierced? Why are there different styles of glasses for people to buy. Why so many colors of lipstick? Why do people choose the clothing they wear? If "God" wanted you to have better vision he wouldn't have made you farsighted. Go right straight to the most legitimate tattoo vendor and give permission to give that boy the tattoo he wants. It is for his health and safety.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. If you like it, it is your body, just understand it is there forever. I have one, and am contemplating a second. I don't disagree with your ex about waiting til they are 18. One of my kids got her first in college and now she regrets it. She did good at hiding it from her dad for many years. He wanted her to wait til she was no longer on his insurance.

I dated a soldier decades ago and she had beautiful butterfly tattoos a skinny bra could not hide.....2001 a Jewish girl covered her arms with body art....I think this was her way of becoming an Atheist rebellion against rabbinical culture which is MISOGYNISTIC on it's face in daily prEyer. ...read my post in this column. ...I love some body art and for example would hate astrology art enabling pseudo-science. ...it is Art it is medical it is abused and people should learn from such experience not replicate evil

Your son would benefit from a medical tat. There’s a good reason for his. The father may just be controlling. Like he’s just saying no because he can.

I’m tatted up. Have always have been, even before it was acceptable. I’m well employed, a veteran, can pass a background check and any drug test. A lot of people have them. Some would surprise you. And the stigma has left our society. Anyone who side-eyes a medical tattoo has bigger issues.

I don't want any on myself and I'm not sure why. Maybe because it was just for sailors and bikers when I was growing up. I don't wear jewelry either.

I hope I don't judge others for having them. When I see a guy with tattoos everywhere I can't help wonder why. I mean it takes a lot of effort and $ that could be put to other uses.

I've only dated a few women who had any tattoos and most of those were small and inconspicuous. It didn't matter to me at all one way or the other.

My favorite was a colorful, dream catcher type design on the small of a woman's back that I didn't see until...well...let's just say it enhanced an already awesome evening.

They are too permanent for me to ever get one. I might change my mind. What seems really cool today may change and be embarrassing after a few years. In the end they fade and skin wrinkles and they dont' look so good when you get to be a senior citizen.

I have 4 myself, I'm also type 1. I don't think there should be an issue considering why he wants it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13002
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.