Agnostic.com

11 1

Moral philosophy

Are any of you interested in moral philosophy?

Cleon 2 July 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes I am interested in the subject and particularly how science can contribute to informing one’s morality.

@Morganfreeman No, meaning that I would like to have an objective morality to respond to people that say morality is whatever you want it to be. I think that perhaps science could be one such contributor to the body of knowledge which could inform the formation of a moral theory. Admittedly, I don’t know much about moral philosophy so hence why I am interested.

Currently, I don’t have an argument against that and it seriously bothers me. I don’t like the idea that the far right attempt to use IQ measures to support statements like “white people are superior because they tend to have higher IQs on average” which if you go by that measure, then Asians are really “the superior race”.Of course there are scientific explanations why neither of these conclusions are valid( one of which being that IQ isn’t an accurate measure of overall intelligence anyway), but often you need to make moral arguments to convince ideologies of any strip.

As far as your comments related to the creation of men’s bending medications or nano tech goes, what are you talking about? To my knowledge, Da Vinci never dabbled in any type of medicine. Also, how exactly does nanotechnology play I to mind control?

Morality has been philosophized to death. There’s not much to it. Find a balance among individual, family, village, and society well being. Obviously that balance is not absolute or static.

A teaching attributed to Jesus that I like is this: Don’t follow the rules because they are so written and you are trying to be a good person to win favor, avoid punishment, or to enhance your ego. Let your actions be governed by love, love brought on by personal awareness, appreciation, and gratitude for life in a mind-boggling reality. Jesus didn’t put it just that way of course—I’m having to help him out a bit with his phrasing. 🙂 Following that advice will give you great flexibility in deciding how to act.

OK, another jebus scriptural interpretation.

I’m done, to the best of my ability, wasting time on philosophy.. Give me Actualitly!

Varn Level 8 July 14, 2018

Not really, living in a civil society shouldn't be complicated.

Axiology has interested me for many years. But, the matter is much more simple than many professional philosophers make it out to be.

Of course. I think one of the nice things about being an atheist is trying make sense of morality. I a bit anarchistic myself but I read Marx, Trotsky, Ambergen, etc. My favorite thing was from Vonnegut, however, in his semi - autobiography, when he was talking about Jesus and why Jesus would do "good." Basically the idea is that Jesus wouldn't have the motivation of trying to get to an afterlife, that an appropriate imitation of Christ is a non - religious one. We do good because we should. That doing good is, for its own sake, the thing we should do. I could on about the philosophy which backs that up, and we could argue about what "good" actually is, but I think, short form, Kurt's right.

I love it. I'm going to see Jordon Peterson and Sam Harris battle it out tonight in Dublin over whether we need a god to make us moral people.

Nope.
Not generally interested in philosophy of any kind.

You do you, I do me and strive to do or cause no harm. Never do ANYTHING to ANYONE that you would not want done to you. Care as much for the wellbeing of others as you care for your own wellbeing

I usually find it boring because people ramble on and on about something that could be put in a few sentences. Get to the point, and it can be interesting.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:130368
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.