Agnostic.com

11 2

How do you deal with anti-vaxxers?

In my facebook feed a high school class mate recently shared a link from the "Dr. Mercola" web site regarding vaccinations and how bad they are.

I commented on the 'fake news' that sites such as these promulgate.

My classmate responded by noting that one of his children nearly died from a vaccination.

My inclination is sympathize with him over what must have been a very frightening situation, but to not back away from restating the anti-scientific content of anti-vaxxer sites. But on the other hand, is it even worth it to 'double down'? It's not terribly likely either of us will change the other's mind.

How would you deal with this situation?

tsjames 7 Jan 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don’t deal with them at all from what I know of. I tend to stay away from stupidity as much as possible.

Kunai Level 2 Jan 6, 2018

quarantine

Odyn Level 4 Jan 6, 2018

In some cases vaccines do have negative side effects, but over all they are on balace much more beneficial than harmful.

I am saying this as a person who had very extreme autoimmune reactions when I was vaccinated for Hepatitis A & B. I had inflammation and swellings for almost two months and at the peak had fevers of up to 106F. Since then, my immune system has kind of been overly active. It is nto all bad though, I seldom get sick with colds or flus.

Despite my experiences, I still think vaccines are more benficial than harmful.

Die hard antivaxxers are near impossible to convince otherwise, so I avoid direct confrontation. When friends or family actually ask my opinion on the topic, then I allow them to ask questions, and I answer them explaining everything on the way as I go. I also repost many antivaxxer debunking information on my social media. Recently I had a two hour conversation with a friend who was worried about vaccinating her child. She decided to get next round of shots for her kid at last. Tiny victory of course but better than none

@ScienceBiker it's awesome. And yes " anecdotes" . These are exhausting.

This is an issue about which I feel strongly. If anyone ever said something to me on the topic, expressing agreement with the anti-vaccination lcrap, I would feel compelled to say, "I beg you to reject all of this bunch of manufactured anti-vaccination lies. Anyone who accepts it is endangering public health.!

I get the flu jab as its free. that means they do it to save money on hospital beds as they don't actually care about us. nothing is for nothing from the government.

I don't, thank everything good in this world! XDD

[babycenter.com]

Here's an article by parents-

I have to get my immunizations every year since bone marrow transplant-6 total-arms feel like they are going to fall off for three days.

@tsjames well are you?

Call me cowardly, but I find trying to reason with antivaxxers easier than reasoning with rocks. I tend to walk away (shaking my head), much like I do with the religious. I might point out how quickly diseases that we'd had under good control (mumps, measles, whopping cough) came roaring back to relevance once vaccination rates dropped due to this (insert choice word here) movement.

Zster Level 8 Jan 6, 2018

I stay away from them, because they make people sick.

Gohan Level 7 Jan 6, 2018

I don't know any anti-vaxxers.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13131
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.