Agnostic.com

8 0

Culture and relationships?

How far do differences in culture affect the viability of relationships?

Mashuu 3 July 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Of course. If people's basic cultural assumptions are greatly different, finding compatible beliefs is difficulty, unless one has great tolerance for differences. In addition there are different norms for behavior, causing similar conflicts.

As long as both are flexible, it would add to it. Rigidity would destroy it.

I think it depends on the couple's joint commitment to make things work, but some (differences) would just be impossible to overcome for me, but that would be more societal mores and just as prevalent in my own culture as others.

Strongly.

I was married to a Brazilian and it was fantastic. The difference in cultures made it fun and exciting! I got to stay in Brasil for two months and I wanted to stay and live there so badly. Good times 🙂

It comes down to respect

Not at all. It just comes down to the person. In the Navy I knew many healthy and successful couples that were of completely different backgrounds. Now if it is a culturally religious difference, they may have a bit harder of a time squaring that one up.

It's something I'm curious about. Actually my most successful relationships have been with women with a different cultural background to my own, bith were from a completely different country. But, I'm also curious about potentially smaller cultural differences like class or political affiliation.

Mashuu Level 3 July 15, 2018
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:131327
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.