Agnostic.com

18 2

What would a Sunday morning agnostic/atheist community meeting look like?

I'm wondering if there could be an alternative to Sunday morning services for the agnostic-atheist. What would that look like to you? Community topic discussions, a presentation on logical thinking, Sam Harris or Christopher Hitchens videos, small group discussion, singing...what?

AwarenessNow 8 July 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The group in my area meets every Sunday morning at a local coffee shop for “church.” Usual topics are current events. Nothing is scheduled, just a group of people chatting.

Sunday is my lazy day though so I rarely make it.

I don't think it is needed. Religion needs the regular reinforcement of Sunday services, otherwise people might start to think for themselves.

Besides, isn't sleeping in on Sunday one of the best things about being atheist?

Strabo Level 6 July 15, 2018

There is a group near me that meets on Sunday mornings for a bit of food and conversation. To me that would be enough.

Look... We're already all here we don't have to go anywhere

Why Sunday morning? What is wrong with Friday night, all day Saturday at the lake or any day or time? I would imagine it would be like a group of people socializing with many common and uncommon interests.

I suppose sometime on a sunday would make more sense to more people than any other day due to work commitments etc. But we're getting into chicken and egg territory there, it'd be nice not to have to base a routine around an outdated religiously inspired routine.

@Salo Agreed.

@AwarenessNow But we ain't religion.

Ok we need to claim our own day then. How about Monday? Renounce your god and get very Monday off work ?

Sunday morning is typically available.

My local Freethought Society gets together on week and weekend nights and have dinner, or do speaker series, or just book club/discussion groups.

Sleeping next to my demon lover also!

It would look like I wasnt there.

jacpod Level 8 July 16, 2018

Probably a bit like some UU congregations, however, I wonder why it would be needed? I guess some people miss the community of church but for me it just is a part of the week when one can go out to the store or to breakfast and have things less crowded and less rushed because all of the sheep are in their various pens being spoken to.

PDF Level 5 July 16, 2018

Love your "Sheep in their various pens" line. I use to attend a group of like minded people but moved away. I am now living in a retirement home. I'm very active and have something going all the time. I have started a group of non believers here.

No creo en Dios!

Venue local pub. Hopefully sitting around drinking tea or coffee with toast and marmalade and a full English breakfast if you wanted it. A discussion about the major sports on the Saturday, review of the newspaper headlines for robust and frank discussion. More tea and coffee, call the son in law to see what time lunch is going to be, a few games of pool or snooker then a brisk walk to our respective daughters for Sunday lunch. Obviously a roast with Yorkshire Pudfing and gravy.

Get up around 9-10ish (enjoy the morning at our own pace ?). Then maybe a cafe or public park meetup to enjoy an unauthoritative atmosphere. Share some anecdotes, ideas for civic participation, talk about making our communities better on our terms and maybe have a few laughs. If anyone wants to talk philosophy or metaphysics we can discuss some perspectives. Then finish it off with an acknowledgement of the world as it is and what we can do to live good lives, not for a higher power but, for those we care about.

That would suit me down to the ground.

In poor weather: Sunday brunch, good conversations, cold Scarlet O'Haras & a designated driver.

In good weather: fishing, kicking back & enjoying the day.

They exist. Google "Sunday assembly."

I like a nice Sunday brunch, and it might be nice to combine the two, breakfast and a lecture, with a discussion afterwards.

Empty. I don't go anywhere on sunday.

JacarC Level 8 July 15, 2018

I used to go to church every Sunday without fail with a bunch of atheists. Once they'd shut it down a 2nd converted it to a fantastic climbing gym that is.

Salo Level 7 July 15, 2018

In my almost 20 yrs if experience in these types meetings: they look like older white men. That's what they look like. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Just a little disheartening to me personally. Wishing more diversity so that I can feel hope.

I think it would look empty...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:131707
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.