Agnostic.com

11 1

Do any of you have to consciously avoid religious topics or 'hide' when you are with members of your own family? Can you be yourself when everyone gets together?

legshowoff 5 Jan 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Around my extended family yes. With my brother or parents, I can be a lot more open.

Zster Level 8 Jan 7, 2018

I've only got older siblings. They're sort of kitchen Catholics. They know my views on religion. They know better than to mess with it. I don't do "hide". 🙂

I always am. I don't care what people think. at best I don't speak about it unless asked.

It rarely comes up. My wife has said that if she predeceases me, she wants an Anglican funeral, which surprises me a little since she hasn't had a connection with any church for almost twenty years. Still, I would accede to her request. I know my son is an atheist, but we've never actually spoken about it. Nothing to say, I suppose. My daughter has settled on some sort of spirituality that doesn't involve organised (excuse Aussie spelling) religion. We don't talk about that, since she lives in a distant city and we don't see her much — we have other things to talk about!
My parents and parents-in-law have all died: I am the oldest in our family now. But when they were alive, I did feel it necessary to be a little cautious with my in-laws: both were very strong Anglicans, and I think they thought of me as a sort of dilatory Anglican who didn't go to church much but whose heart was in the 'right' place. I think out-and-out atheism would have been unacceptable to them. As for my own parents, my father never talked about religion, although he attended a Presbyterian church. He refused to take communion. My mother had been Anglican before her marriage, and she remained that at heart even after joining the Presbyterian church. She would sometimes talk about her beliefs and was greatly saddened when I left the church. I was sorry about this, and when she expressed the hope that I might rejoin the church I'd say things like 'We'll see; maybe some day.' But I knew it wouldn't happen.

Religion does not come up in our conversations. Although some members of my family are religious, we have better things to talk about.

Nope. That subject is basically taboo at work and with my family. Even though all I hear at work is, "Jesus christ" this or, "Oh, jesus" that. I tend to ignore all jesus related comments at work now. They like to all irritate another agnostic and I there.

I try to keep my mouth shut around my niece and brother in law. He is a devout Catholic who knows I'm an atheist and occasionally I have stung him with a sharp barb and he has always taken it well. I try to keep my mouth shut around him because I like him. He is a good man and he put up with my sister when none of us would. She got really bad, but is like a reasonable person now. So out of respect for him, I will try to leave it alone. My niece, if she ever asks, I will tell her the truth, but out of respect for my brother in law, I will not be the one to broach the topic.

Not really myself around family, but I was never really close with most of them. I maintain the superficial pleasantries a person has with familiar acquaintances. Me being a black sheep is kind of amplified by everyone else being extremely close.

I definitely have to adjust to have a relatively good time

I'm out and open with my family. we all just accept that I'm the black sheep of the family, pastor uncle loves to give me dirty looks across the table at family events and hates when I giggle at him.

I don't have much family left-a mother and sister. Just talking on phone with my mother brought up praying to remember my father who died three years ago and the conversation ended. She and my sister do not come to visit me.

We need a condolence thumbs up on this site @Admin can this be a thing??

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13199
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.