Agnostic.com

42 6

Sexual relationship or relationship with sex?

Do most guys just want a sexual relationship? I actually want a relationship with sex. I've had a friend who is an atheist for several years now. We've been out several times over the years, as friends. I've often wondered if we'd be good together romantically. Recently we started talking more and things got very flirty. We agreed that we should get together and see what happens. We went out and had a really nice time that ended with some pretty nice kisses. Later he basically told me that her was only interested in a sexual relationship with me. I won't bore you with those details. I was a little bit shocked to say the least. Am I just that out of touch? Is a sexual relationship all guys want?

Alliegirl 7 Jan 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

42 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Okay You say he has been a friend for quite a while. So you know you get on...yeah. Your looking for something more but he says sex is as far as he wants to go...yeah So a FWB or FB is a goer...yeah Where do you imagine the romance will come from? You did not fall in love from the get go? He did not make a move on you? Men want to be loved, if you end up having sex do think he can curb any emotional ties with you? Men arent that good at emotions. To be crude ,suck it and see. I have had 3 long term relationships and 2 of them started off as one night stands. Love requires a leap of faith. Men say we just want sex like women say they just want a GSOH. Its a lie used to cover up our real wants.

That's an interesting take. "Suck it and see" if he falls in love with you. Methinks that's all kinds of setting oneself up for nothing emotionally pleasant. But, what do I know?

@BlueWave Women seem to want guarantees in a relationship. There are no such things. Yes he may say all he wants is sex but then women say they want a GSOH. These are both lies we tell ourselves. All love has its emotional minefields. The guy obviously enjoys her company. Likes to spend time with her. Thats a head start on an awful lot of marriages.

@Kreig Sorry but those general platitudes are more reminiscent of "good girls dont" Sunday school doctrine. I have lost count of the relationships I have come across (including mine and my families) where it just happened one night. People are not often clear about what they want to themselves let alone others. For example, A chap meets a late 30s single woman (a la Bridget Jones). She is unlikely to admit to herself or him, that she`s really looking for a father for her as yet unborn kids before time runs out. Just as he is unlikely to admit that he wants really a replacement mother, even to himself. So he acts the Don Juan. Then they both fall in love

That boy has no clue how lucky a man he would be if he respected your relationship potential rather than his penis professions. ...this one is only a tiny bit more evidence our patriarchy keeps boys in the dark away from our natural Feminist heritage. ...real men want mutual love giving not compartmentalized fucking

I guess Im not a real woman then >_> Like come on, everyones different. Dont give into the stereotyping bullshit mindset.

@Neraven my message to Allie your reply to it ??? No stereotype applies here. ....real commentary on real dialogue. ...Feminism embraces all lifestyles of all women LGBT and beyond excluding misogynistic male entitlement

@Neraven Gore Vidal praised "the idle encounter of JFK" and himself with gay men

He was being honest. You had expectations beyond his. Don't be down on yourself.

As a guy, I can't just have monkey sex with someone... there must be an emotional connection, but that's me. There's more like me out there... (Ahem, sorry, I'm taken.) 😉

Darn! Why are all the good guys taken. 😉

I Like the woman who wants it all. Because I believe I got a lot to give. Less than that I will be just a tool. Not that a tool does not have his use and yes I gave it masculine pronoun. ***In a different but similar subject Liz Taylor claimed she only had sex with men that became her husband, 7 husbands 8 marriages. I think she lied.

Twice to Richard Burton

@GreenAtheist Correct... that was the marriage of the century so they have to do it twice.

I definitely enjoy sex, but for me love + sex is the absolute best. There is something so intimate and personal about it. Give your all to the one you adore. So, definitely for me, it's a relationship plus sex.

I agree.

Absolutely True

I'm glad he was at least upfront about it and you found out before getting too emotionally invested. Sorry to hear about your experience.

Me too! I at least give him props for that.

I've been dating these past few months and its amazing how some tell you you're a good kisser-promise a long, romantic weekend then cancel fifteen minutes before he's supposed to pick you up. The guys I've met just want dates. Can make a girl get frustrated.Where do you live? Maybe we should switch places lol.?

Lol. Maybe we should. I’m not having a lot of luck in SC. 😟

I can’t speak for the every guy, but no. Sex is important for men in general, but if that’s all your interested in after 25, then you’re pretty shallow.

SHALLOW HAL funny movie with Gweneth Paltrow dual roles one in a FAT SUIT breaking chairs

I don't want FWB. I want a meaningful relationship, there needs to be some partnership and commitment. I don't plan to compromise, so I expect to be single for quite a while yet.

I’m with you. I don’t want to get married right now, but I do want a commitment if there is sex involved. I’m sure I will be single a long time too.

No, there are lots of guys for whom the relationship is the priority. Emotional intimacy is definitely more important to me than physical intimacy.

FWBs are ideal

Just depends on how people connect. Some people can really draw interest and give the connection of captivate inquisition where some others are superficial and can only relate on a sexual level.

Well talk about blueballs if he isn't fapping at home or banging other women... friends for years and only wants sex with you?

Something doesn't add up to me...
I'd stay friends since you already know his intentions unless that's all you want as well.
Once you give it up, don't count on him sticking around as friend after. My 2 cents on it.

Some yes, some no.

That's all HE wants, and thankfully he was honest with you up front. I'm not a man, but I read a bit -- it seems by the rate of marriage, polls, etc. that men like being married/coupled.

First, you have to figure out if there is any such thing as romantic love. Given that 50% of all marriages end in divorce and many of the remaining marriages are not happy unions, if there is any such thing, it is very uncommon. I have concluded that the myth that our society thinks is "love" is more likely consorting pairs, driven by nature and hormones, unwitting players in nature's plan to propagate the species. Given my solitary nature and how annoying living with a female can be, my ideal state (if I were young again), would be serial monogamy...with no marriage, ever.

Not me. I have to have a relationship with someone before sex. When I was younger, I had one night stands, but even those were generally after hanging out with someone for hours of laughter and talking, and they would have lasted longer, but I was only in whatever town for a short amount of time. Now, I gotta fall in some form of love before sex is even interesting.

It's all in the chemistry. I can be friends/friendly towards anyone, but I want to have sex with someone who enjoys sex and wants it.It's been part of an evolution of thinking. Are we really hard wired for monogamy, or is it just society pressure? I've had sex with a number of women over the years, what's the difference when that was happening, other than the obvious emotional reactions.

I just want sex to be a good time for all involved, and still be able to have a relationship where things don't go weird. At least that's in my head. Outwardly, we all bend to expectations.

I suppose it depends on the guy. I think, though, that there's more going on with your friend than he's letting or, or even that he knows about himself. This isn't about you, it's about him. And that's neither good or bad, it just is. We're looking for people who are comparable with who we are, and for some reason, that seems hard to find. But that doesn't mean it's your fault. It means that you're seeking someone who shares your values.

i'm not so sure that you're that out of touch. Are things so different these days then they were 10, 20, 30 or more years ago? Do computers, cell phones and x-box fuck with your sexual intelligence that much? Granted, technology could make you smart or stupid but thats not the same as being a sexual neanderthal. Probably some folks won't agree with this, but love is real and a relationship has to be based on that and sex without love is ok for some people but for someone who wants more, that's not enough. I think it all stems from living in a patriarchal society where males are supposed to be dominant and females are made to feel inferior. Men, when we're old enough to get aroused , the dominant culture educates us to have sex with as mane females as we can because that is what a real caveman does. I know there's a crazy little thing called love{to quote Freddie Mercury}, because I was in love with the same woman for 49 years, until the day she died, 2 years ago. I think some guys just want a sexual relationship, and some more do not. But I don't think we stop looking for love because of those who are just looking for sex.

Many people have pointed out the obvious, not all _____ are the same. However, I think everyone is missing a key element in their reply. They need to take it one step further. Just because a guy only wants a sexual relationship with girl A doesn't mean that guy (and certainly not MOST guys) ONLY want sexual relationships. That guy may very well walk out of his house the next morning and randomly run into girl B with whom he'd love to have a relationship with sex.

pretty much. hopefully you have more to offer that will bring out the best in us

Guys aren't the only ones. It depends on the individual person.

Is the M word taboo ? One song in my repertoire is Frank Sinatra Love AND MARRIAGE Love AND MARRIAGE go together like a horse and carriage THIS I TELL YOU BROTHER you can't have one without the other.....horribly the song was made Infamous Fox TV sitcom MARRIED WITH CHILDREN

it's not just men but id like a relationship with sex really but I would just have sex but it's not my ideal. I like your friend's honesty and your both grown-ups so if you need to scratch an itch maybe you should but it might change your friendship.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13280
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.