Agnostic.com

7 1

LIES?
IS LYING JUST SOMETHING THAT IS A NATURAL ACT THAT WE ARE PREDISPOSED TO COMMIT.
studies have been done on itty bitty babies displaying acts if deceit and "lying". One example was observing them crying then stopping to hear if mom or dad was responding to they're call of distress,shortly after no parental response,on demand they would start crying again. The babies in the study had know health issues that might explain this...is lying just part of being human?

Nemosson 6 Jan 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In physiology one of the fundamental things you learn, is to tell a lie is to be creative those that tell the best lies are most intelligent. Lying is also a paramount to survival(example you acquired some wealth as an artifact or treasure. You would not want that known because ultimately, someone would potentiality want to take it from you endangering the welfare of yourself and family.) So you would lie as self preservation. I believe lying is a innate survival tool.

The helpless babies are using their One tool, crying, to attempt to get what they need and trying to see how effective it is (or they die)!
Is this an attempt to legitimize the LIES that come out of the White House every single hour nowadays?
Becase even if it is "natural", it is Not Acceptable! In fact, one enforced law prohibiting lying by public officials, with stiff penalties swiftly enforced, would go a Long way towards making life better for our citizens!

It seems to me that the ability to deceive is a survival strategy it is a practice that we deployed in hunting and in self protection. It only stands to reason that once we developed language we would apply that same strategy to communication between our fellow humans.

Very good description, boy! I think I got some mommy's a bit flustered....

everyone lies

Of course, they do, it's human nature. As for the acceptability of it depends on the motives.

Babies have very limited communication skills. What you described are babies asking for attention and comfort. That is not a lie in my book. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Jan 7, 2018

If a baby is pretending to be in distress, is that not deceitful? Please understand, when my baby cried I or her mother would immediately check on her. Some parents say "let'm cry themselves out" not this daddy!

@Nemosson

A baby is hungry they cry, needs changing they cry, in pain, they cry so why would it be a lie it they need attention and cry for it?

@betpaq legitimate reasons,no doubt.do infants pretend to be in distress?

@MrLizard

A want and a need is still a form of communicating.

@MrLizard

Thank you. Now if you want to talk about toddlers lying, well that's a different story. 😛

I see lying as being just as much of our nature as greed and most likely is tied to self preservation. It doesn't make it moral to lie but sometimes lies are a way to survive in a critical situation. Usually I'm too honest and find that gets me in trouble too, haha.

Hmmmm...In the case of babies crying, I can't see that as a "lie". An infant doesn't need to be ill to want attention. How did this study connect a baby's cry to lying? II'm not making the connection here.

Duke Level 8 Jan 7, 2018

If a baby is pretending to be in distress, is that an act of deceit? Aka "lying".

@Nemosson That's a yes. But, how would one determine that a baby was "pretending"?

@Nemosson Having said that, and disregarding the baby part of the equation, I think the question deserves an answer. I think we start to lie when we start to realize there are consequences for actions. Sometimes the lie is to keep someone else from being hurt. But, the motive will certainly be similar in most cases.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13333
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.