Agnostic.com

44 5

How important is having the same taste in music for a relationship?

• 2 votes
  • 23 votes
  • 29 votes
  • 11 votes
  • 70 votes
G0dlessHeathen 4 July 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

44 comments (26 - 44)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I could be wrong, but in my experience with people, it seems to me that a similar taste in music is indicative of similar ways of relating to the world and a generally more chance at compatibility.

I have a wide and expansive musical taste, and people who limit themselves to one specific genre are a little more difficult to be interested in, as it hamstrings about 20-30% of what I talk about on a day-to-day basis.

Music is what makes life bearable. It doesn't matter what genre. But if you only listen to top 40 shit, stop for a month and dig on some Frank Zappa

For me it’s less the genre of the music but more individual songs whatever the genre. So I have quite an eclectic music collection with random songs most people probably have never heard of. It’s not likely that I wouldn’t like at least some of the music the other person listens to. A friend of mine has been trying to get me to like the heavy metal bands he loves. Granted most of them I couldn’t listen to for more than a minute. But one I just fell in love with and I’ve become obsessed with their music.

I often express how I feel with music, so the range has to be fairly large...however, if the person doesn't know of the artist I like, it could be hard to communicate that feeling...

Who would be an artist l might not know whom you like?

@Sticks48 It is more about being so in touch with the music scene that you can easily recall music that fits the mood...if you only know songs from one era or one genre, you are limited...if you don't listen to new music, you can't select songs that might speak better for you in a plainer way...people into music can pick out songs to share because they recall an appropriate artist or title...

@thinktwice Agree. My tastes run from the big band era thru the 80's. After the 80's popular music ( country and pop ) hasn't done much for me. I like country, rock, pop, jazz, blues, latin, and reggae.

@Sticks48 So then you have a wide range... 😉

@thinktwice l will try to dance to whatever tune you choose. ?

The only thing that matters to me is chemistry
Everything else is just unimportant fodder

I'm a musician so I think it's a little more important to me. Partially that's because I'll hear things that the average person wouldn't notice, so I'm a bit more critical about what's good or not (in my personal opinion).

It depends, mostly on how loud she needs the music of her choice to be.

I can deal with any music my SO likes, no problem. But if you can't do chores without shaking the house with Florida Georgia Line just let me leave before I kill one or both of us.

Christian, rap (or hip hop or whatever it's called), and crying in your beer country are deal killers.
I will not listen nor tolerate hearing those, anything else is open (yes, even opera.).
Call me close minded, I know what I like or can bear.

I love all kinds of music. The problem with me is that I'm too open and know too many genres. Some people have music that will make mu ears hurt. Literally.

My*

I prefer quiet.

If it is truly "music", I'm sure I'll love it. Whatever it is. I just hope they are open minded as well.

NickyD Level 3 July 18, 2018

Good to have some common ground but I also like some strange stuff that is not a requirement🙂

I am picky about my music in the sense of how well I can connect with the lyrics which isn't the case most of the times.

Dan and I are just discovering what we like in common.

I wasn't aware of this

I’m perfectly willing to laugh go at someone else’s musical taste.

As long as it's reciprocal.

I am mostly open to anything, as long as it is music. I just can't stand most rap or that techno garbage

It needs to be pretty close, but since l like all kinds of music it hasn't been a problem in the past.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:133827
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.