Agnostic.com

36 2

Who among us has cut the proverbial TV cord?

We dance around the topic of the media's role in driving public opinion and in dividing us... I was wondering if nonbelievers, skeptics and the like subject themselves to less mainstream media than their counterparts.

Do you currently receive programmed TV? Or are you among the set that parted company with satellite or cable? If no cable? Do you stream? If so, what are your streaming go tos?

• 39 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 2 votes
Zster 8 Jan 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Reading is my A number one thing. I also have problems with how big money controls the percent of TV/Video it does.

I read more than anything.... Netflix when i hear about a good show....

EvaV Level 7 July 17, 2018

I don't watch any mainstream media as only 6 companies own all of it, therefore billionaires influence the agenda. I go to independents. I don't watch TV as 90 percent of it is drivel. I tend to watch youtube and download or buy interesting shows ie the handmaids tale, game of thrones, the expanse, art movies etc.

If you mean cable I liked it back in 2009
Don't need it
Don't miss it

I gave up TV 6 years ago and I don't miss it. I have never had cable. It's always been too expensive with too many low quality channels. I get both my news and entertainment from the internet.

I've not had TV in a decade. I just never really watched much, always had internet and streaming to satisfy my entertainment and news needs. It was nothing but a needless expense in out house so we got rid of it.

I cut the cord many months ago. Of course it was an accident, and I started to panic. Fortunately, I was able to splice the cord back together, so I won't miss any more Desperate Housewives. 😉

6yrs now. The only time I see T.V. is at my parents house for dinner, or maybe a big football game. I despise the gimics used in modern commercials, it just furthers the dumbing down of the population. Also, the cost of it is rediculous concidering how much programming you actually see, and how much they make off of the commercials.

1996 was the last time I had a tv.... I turned it on and saw people shoving coleslaw in their bathingsuits and then running a race..... I just couldn't do it any longer... so much dumb...and they make you pay for it....

I seldon watch tv. Just news and weather because of winter. Not following any shows of any kind. Got Vucu digital collection of movies I liked for the boringest of days. Netflix for backup. Never interested on zombies or whatever new trend of shows is out there. Last comedy followed... Frazier. On Netflix of course. keep the cord for back up to back up but not being used. TV not turn on for weeks sometimes. Former cable employee pampered with every channel in the universe.

I still have Netflix and Hulu, but I hardly ever watch tv. I try to keep myself running. Band practice, gigs, and on "free" nights, I wind up at some bar or another.

I'm not going to meet my next mistake sitting home alone 😉

I didn’t cut it entirely but I do not pay for any television and minimally use television. I prefer reading.

I cut it.....like 20 years ago? Basic cable went up to about $44 a month.

Shortly afterward, a $300 antenna went up on my roof

twill Level 7 Jan 7, 2018

Wow! 21 people so far cut it.

I haven't yet because I love DVR (no commercials) and I'm afraid of not having easy access to MSNBC.

Can't wait to read the comments!

oh yes dvr is a great invention. I utterly detest adverts!

Because I save a ton of money and I have streaming vehicles to get me pretty much anything I need. And I also have an Over The Antenna that gets me local networks. I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

All I have is Netflix and I only watch that like every 3rd month so I spend a lot less time not being able to find something to watch.

I am seriously thinking about it. The problem I have is that in my area the Charter Cable company has the only viable web access and I can only have internet if I get "the package". I would otherwise need to go with wireless which is a bit iffy and slow.

I got charter for internet. Got a pkg with a land line (good bye AT&T!). They called me weekly yo add cable. Finally they asked what it eoukdctake. I said "improved programming". They have not called since. Even at that, Rates even without TV go up and up.

Zster. I am always amazed at how poor the program selection is with all those channels. I often go to the web for a show.

Watching tv takes my time ...

When I moved into this flat in 2015, the first thing I did was unplug the TV, and set it in a corner of the flat, well out of the way. As a lot of folks here mention, there are loads of streaming sites, so I'm more than happy with those.

Netflix, directv now and hbo = $20 vs cable = $80 to $100. I cut the cord!

Severed all connection with TV years ago. Content was too lame in general and couldn't see parsing my time to watch whatever little I thought still warranted a look. Now, this is me -- personally -- the family is different. So, the house is still connected, but I'm not, but I will admit to watching a breaking news item or a documentary from time to time.

The media outlets are owned by the elite who work tirelessly to keep mankind enslaved via social engineering. The only way to retrain our brains is to cut the cord and start thinking for ourselves. Read a book instead. Lol

I can't afford it. Now that I don't have it I realize that I don't miss it. I can watch stuff on Netflix that someone else in this house is paying for, but so far , I've watched one movie this year. I'd rather read anyway.

I have an antenna that allows me to get two major networks, PBS and the CW (I think) as well as a couple of weird channels; but, I rarely watch regular TV. However, I do have Netflix and Hulu (I pay extra for commercial free) as well as some other stations through my ROKU.

Yeah for the most part. I catch bits and pieces from my grandpa watching the news, but all my media comes from Netflix and youtube.

I cut it because of the cost and I seemed to watch the same shows over and over. Now I have Netflix and Amazon Prime. I’ve rarely missed cable. I’ve actually been thinking about cutting the internet completely, but will have to wait until my boys move out.

I buy cable to watch local government LIVE and produce free public access channel programs

Cut the internet! That would cause a mutiny in my house! Might be a way to get the kids to move if they tend to linger, though.

If you cut the Internet completely, how will you use agnostic.com? I use the Internet far too much to even consider dropping it.

@BlueWave it's difficult to imagine not having internet nowadays. it gives us such a wide variety of different outlooks on the world.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13438
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.