Agnostic.com

36 2

Who among us has cut the proverbial TV cord?

We dance around the topic of the media's role in driving public opinion and in dividing us... I was wondering if nonbelievers, skeptics and the like subject themselves to less mainstream media than their counterparts.

Do you currently receive programmed TV? Or are you among the set that parted company with satellite or cable? If no cable? Do you stream? If so, what are your streaming go tos?

• 39 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 3 votes
  • 2 votes
Zster 8 Jan 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

36 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I cancelled cable after I saw Ted Cruz's face in my living room during the Iowa primary. I have a Roku, I stream Netflix and Amazon Prime and a few other. I have DVD and other stuff I don't remember the TLAs for. All in all I watch less than 5 hours of TV per week. Best part, No commercials.

Raphael Cruz alias Ted married to Heidi Cruz stole million$ from taxpayers through the Goldman Sachs bailout and she paid for his TX race to US SENATE

Raphael Cruz JUNIOR his daddy was FAIR PLAY FOR CUBA with Lee Harvey Oswald in New Orleans

I am not sure how much we watch on average because I can go weeks or months without. Then I might gave a stretch of series watching or a few movies. I use the TV mostly for music streaming.

What is a TLA?

Curious where you get your news -- just online and/or radio?

TLA: three letter acronym. I get my news online most of the time. I have a radio on but I'm not really "listening".

@HippieChick58 Interesting. Is that a common acronym? I've never heard it before.

I don't know if it is common or uncommon, I've never been asked before. It is part of my history, 6 years in the military and another 12 as a spouse. If you didn't know, TLAs are rampant in the military and many other industries. Every time I've changed jobs I've had to learn new TLAs.

@HippieChick58 TMFA.

@JeffMoffat LOL!! Stay away from the military, everything is an acronym. Well, even with the government,and I learned a whole new set when I started current job. Yes, the world has TMFA

I cut the cord over a year ago... the savings are great! I run a Kodi box with Terrarium & Covenant. I also have an OTA antenna and converter box for local live TV. I like to tinker with technology sometimes, which you need to do with these things to stay updated...

@Hominid Yup! I have an android box with a VPN.

We stream via Apple TV and Roku, in order to mirror our phones.

@Duke Arghghghghgh -- all these acronyms that everybody is typing. I'm so lost.

@BlueWave A VPN is a Virtual Private Network. It's a really good idea right now to have one for all of your internet connected devices. Google it. You can find a lot of them that offer a lifetime service for a very reasonable price.

I cut it because of the cost and I seemed to watch the same shows over and over. Now I have Netflix and Amazon Prime. I’ve rarely missed cable. I’ve actually been thinking about cutting the internet completely, but will have to wait until my boys move out.

I buy cable to watch local government LIVE and produce free public access channel programs

Cut the internet! That would cause a mutiny in my house! Might be a way to get the kids to move if they tend to linger, though.

If you cut the Internet completely, how will you use agnostic.com? I use the Internet far too much to even consider dropping it.

@BlueWave it's difficult to imagine not having internet nowadays. it gives us such a wide variety of different outlooks on the world.

Actually, it wasn't intentional. My TV died about 2- 1/2 yrs ago and I have just never replaced it.

Go on craigslist and under the free ads, you can find free tvs all the time. If you want to.

Thanks @samuraimindset, I'm actually fine without it. I spend a few months each year at my daughter's and get all the tv I need. 🙂

I am seriously thinking about it. The problem I have is that in my area the Charter Cable company has the only viable web access and I can only have internet if I get "the package". I would otherwise need to go with wireless which is a bit iffy and slow.

I got charter for internet. Got a pkg with a land line (good bye AT&T!). They called me weekly yo add cable. Finally they asked what it eoukdctake. I said "improved programming". They have not called since. Even at that, Rates even without TV go up and up.

Zster. I am always amazed at how poor the program selection is with all those channels. I often go to the web for a show.

In a nutshell: MTV plays no music, The History Channel primarily runs shows about aliens and big foot, even The Weather Channel runs shows instead of presenting the latest weather. Combine poor quality programming with ridiculous prices, it was a no brainer decision (for me). I cut years ago and stream NetFlix and Amazon Prime Video.

My family prefers using the TV to mirror amusing YouTube vids from our phones. Comedy from regular folks tends to be a lot funnier than that which has been screened to death in board rooms...

Zster Level 8 Jan 7, 2018

You have really good points about History Channel and Weather Channel. I haven't watched MTV in decades.

I get my news from TYT

What is TYT?

Watching tv takes my time ...

When I moved into this flat in 2015, the first thing I did was unplug the TV, and set it in a corner of the flat, well out of the way. As a lot of folks here mention, there are loads of streaming sites, so I'm more than happy with those.

Wow! 21 people so far cut it.

I haven't yet because I love DVR (no commercials) and I'm afraid of not having easy access to MSNBC.

Can't wait to read the comments!

oh yes dvr is a great invention. I utterly detest adverts!

Need another choice-don't watch much MTV but MSNBC.

To each their own. I happen to enjoy television.

I would.
I used to stream cool documentaries on YouTube, PBS, Etc...but Comcast has put a monthly data limit on us (along with a rate hike) so I can't do that anymore for fear of going over the limit and getting charged for the overage.

Right now I have the TV on in the background while I surf online. Much of the time it's on MSNBC.

I cut the cord years ago. I either watch local channels with an antenna or I stream what I want to see with an android box.

Duke Level 8 Jan 7, 2018

My firm r wife cut the hw course d, but I spliced it back together.

Number 1 reason was cost, cable TV is too expensive for what you get. I miss watching baseball, but MLB has a package I can do via the internet. PBS, TCM, AMC, etc. I miss but the best stuff is on after I fall asleep, no way to record. Then there are the Ads!!! I have facebook, the internet and NOW Agnostic.com I really do not need any more ways to get nothing done.

Yeah for the most part. I catch bits and pieces from my grandpa watching the news, but all my media comes from Netflix and youtube.

I have an antenna that allows me to get two major networks, PBS and the CW (I think) as well as a couple of weird channels; but, I rarely watch regular TV. However, I do have Netflix and Hulu (I pay extra for commercial free) as well as some other stations through my ROKU.

I can't afford it. Now that I don't have it I realize that I don't miss it. I can watch stuff on Netflix that someone else in this house is paying for, but so far , I've watched one movie this year. I'd rather read anyway.

The media outlets are owned by the elite who work tirelessly to keep mankind enslaved via social engineering. The only way to retrain our brains is to cut the cord and start thinking for ourselves. Read a book instead. Lol

Severed all connection with TV years ago. Content was too lame in general and couldn't see parsing my time to watch whatever little I thought still warranted a look. Now, this is me -- personally -- the family is different. So, the house is still connected, but I'm not, but I will admit to watching a breaking news item or a documentary from time to time.

Netflix, directv now and hbo = $20 vs cable = $80 to $100. I cut the cord!

All I have is Netflix and I only watch that like every 3rd month so I spend a lot less time not being able to find something to watch.

Because I save a ton of money and I have streaming vehicles to get me pretty much anything I need. And I also have an Over The Antenna that gets me local networks. I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

I cut it.....like 20 years ago? Basic cable went up to about $44 a month.

Shortly afterward, a $300 antenna went up on my roof

twill Level 7 Jan 7, 2018

I didn’t cut it entirely but I do not pay for any television and minimally use television. I prefer reading.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13438
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.