Agnostic.com

12 1

Would you run for office as a non believer?

The long held believe in the US is few would vote for you; less true now

rosscann 5 Jan 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Of course!!

I have considered a run for office, but I would not make my beliefs an issue.

No. I don't have the stamina to fight. Then again, I wouldn't vote for anyone who has religious ties. Perhaps it's unpopular but there's no way I could support Bernie because of his waffling on Palestine. When confronted on a few occasions, he got defensive and threw tantrums -- just like Orrin Hatch.

Goat Level 5 Jan 7, 2018

Few years ago (I don't remember the state) an Atheist guy run and won a position in his state's Legislature. Many of his constituents wanted him to resign even before taking office.

We’re the last Minority!

In the UK it would be a knotty constitutional issue, as we do not separate church and state. The Queen is both head of state and head of the church of England. Before Tony Blair it was the prime ministers job to pick COE archbishops but he delegated the task (permanently) as he was a closet Catholic. We did have an agnostic run for office, Neil Kinnock (he did not win).

I appreciate answers and perspective beyond our often ‘US centric’ discussions... As a US citizen, it’s definitely time we begin considering what’s working around the world. So you described the Prime Minister, how about ..local officials? Is there a spoken or unspoken disqualification if one lacks a religion, if be that the COE?

@Varn Only where sectarian politics might be in force. Most noticeably in Northern Ireland or maybe Glasgow. Otherwise it does not come up unless it`s someone like Sadiq Khan mayor of London.

is corbyn religious? I find that hard to take

@markdevenish No I dont think he is either but then most people in the UK arent. COE attendances are less than 2%. Yet every session of parliament begins with prayers and it would be compulsory for any PM to attend some church events as it is now for Corbyn as leader or the opposition.

I HATE the fact that people running for office are even asked this question! I care about whether the believe in helping those who need it, good educations for all, universal healthcare, legalizing marijuana, etc etc etc. Unless they are a flaming evangelical, in which case they will not shut up about it, none of anybody's business!

I wouldn't run in the first place, but if I did want to...well, then I'd want to lol.

Not unless I kept my mouth shut as to my beliefs because if I dind’t I would sure as hell loose

No, I don't want to be part of the problem. A rational government that discounts votes of those ignorant of the subject at hand, whether intentional or not, would be the only government I'd ever want to acknowledge or be a part of. The old US motto of: one man, one vote clearly demonstrates that this won't ever likely happen here.

If I were living in my hometown of Portland, Oregon, perhaps 🙂 ... Here in SW Virginia.. Thanks for the laugh! 😀 The best we get in this neck of the woods are ‘Independents.’ I sat in on a recent candidate search with local Democrats when a fellow’s name came up -- instantly negated with, “He can’t run, he’s an Atheist.”

That’s one I’ll no doubt remember for a while… ‘Welcome to Virginia - it’s for Lovers (but not Atheists)’...? Makes me sick. Public meetings ‘opened with prayers,’ as some a-hole no doubt makes a list as to who doesn't participate... Knew what I was getting into, Blacksburg and VA Tech were an option. But not here ~

Varn Level 8 Jan 7, 2018

In my states constitution, it says something like " there are no religious tests required to qualify a person for possible election, but they must acknowledge the existence of a supreme being." So basically atheists need not apply. Running for office isn't my style though so that and the law makes it a no.

which state is that?

@markdevenish Texas. 7 states have banned atheists from holding office, but I only remember Texas cuz that's home.

I couldn't handle all those dull meetings and having to deal with a room full of lawyers who've been trained to argue black is white and win at all cost !

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13470
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.