Agnostic.com

16 2

Religious Homosexuals?

New Testament
1 Corinthians 6:9- 6:10
"Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be Deceived. Neither Fornicators, nor Idolaters, Nor Adulteress, nor Homosexuals, nor Sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God."

So tell me again, why people think it's okay to be gay ( actively having homosexual relations) and being Xion? Why does that not weaken your faith? I still don't see how other homosexuals can follow a religion ( and mostly not read the text) that tells them you will not go to Heaven for actively being homosexual.

CrystalKing333 5 Jan 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

16 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Ah yes, the 'arsenokoitai'. Took part in a study group with some gay and lesbian christians so I could counter the theists arguments from within their own belief system. If I remember there are only 3 references in the new and old testament to any kind of same-sexual activity. Jesus says nothing and this is the only reference in the new testament if I remember correctly. Paul was a Greek educated jew trying to communicate to gentiles and in the passage quoted used the word 'arsenokoitai' which was not translated as homosexual until 1958. This word did not exist until Paul created it and there continues to be substantial debate within christianity as to his intent. Because of all this it's not that hard for LGBTQ to justify their christianness. Now of course I'm pretty sure nearly everyone on this site could come up with a mountain of reasons no one should be religious. 😉

Well that's an interesting word, thank you for introducing me to it. 🙂

Yeah, it can be hard to understand why some can't recognize their own cognitive dissonance. Although it is very common. Even with folks on this site.

@Gringo6 Sorry forgot the tag.

I've always wondered how the mafia could be so religious.

godef Level 7 Jan 7, 2018

And the kkk

Funny you say that, the Church of God Head Quarters is here in Cleveland Tn and I jokingly call them the Mafia. XD

One of my closest friends is gay and devoutly Catholic. I don't get it. But he goes to a fairly progressive church where who they know who/what he is and he's still accepted. And he clearly gets something out of it.

He was raised Catholic and partially follows the religion out of habit, that's usually the answer I've been getting when I ask other gays.

I think he genuinely believes in a god. And some of the other stuff -- angels, for example. I believe he is less accepting of the institution, but goes because, as I said, he gets something out of it. How much of it is actually habit I cannot say.

I have several people very close to me who are gay christians. I don't bother attempting to point out the contradictions. They choose to believe. It's not for me to tell them that they're wrong when they haven't asked. We don't talk about those things. If my opinion is ever asked for, I'll share it.

Well darling this is the time. Tell us your opinion.

@CrystalKing333 In past posts, I've made my feelings quite clear. I believe all religion is a scam. They've been exclusionary toward many groups of people, but most especially those of the LGBT community. The friends I have who continue to hold their god delusions have found acceptance in the churches they've chosen. I think their need to find community and break the stereotypes, makes it easier for them to disregard the hypocrisy of their beliefs, and the disdain they still face. They're all good-hearted, decent people, some with families they're raising. I'm not going to express my opinion of their beliefs unless they ask me directly. Besides, they all know me pretty well, and they know I'm an atheist. I'm fairly certain they already know what I'd probably say if they were to open the discussion.

I spoke to a rabbi about "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind; it is abomination" because I've never seen anything wrong with being gay and so that bit was always rather a problem for me even though I'm not religious. He told me it was all written down a long time ago when there weren't as many people around and it was still in humanity's best interests to increase the population - and that since it was so long ago, it's open to interpretation. Therefore, it could well mean that man should not lie with man with the intention of procreation, as he might with a woman, because if he does babies aren't going to happen (why lesbians don't get a mention is anyone's guess). Recreational sex between people of the same sex, he reasoned, is therefore probably fine.

Jnei Level 8 Jan 7, 2018

But I though the bible was the literal word of god? 🙂

I think that depends on who you talk to - this rabbi was an especially liberal one and, I seem to recall, conducted the first gay wedding in a European synagogue 🙂

Because god is love. Because that is not a correct translation of that passage. And hell, aren't most of the christians fornicators? And theives? And covetous, etc, etc.

It's not the correct translation? Oh please, can you show me the correct one?

Damn! Forget gay! That passage just about covers everyone I know.

I know, it's stated in the post darling.

[en.wikipedia.org]

The Unitarian Universalist Church does not use bible. Welcomes LGBT community.

That's odd. But thank you for the link. I'll check it out.

I came out of a fundamentalist church that said "All scripture in inspired and beneficial." They tried to justify everything written in the pages of that book, so maybe even after all these years I have the latent idea that if you are "Christian" that you should believe the Bible. I forget that a whole lot of Christians just pick and choose and don't really give that much importance to their holy book.

gearl Level 8 Jan 8, 2018

The bible is beyond a joke really, can't rely on translations, it was mostly written in Hebrew, which has not word for hell for a start. And i don't think they had the word homosexual either.

Yes, now that I think of it I don't know any Hebrew words that mean "pillow bitter".

My manager is a lesbian, but believes in god. She won't go to church though. They probably would not like her being there, is why I think she doesn't go.

I personally want nothing to do with a god (if he is real), that created me as I am and then would be willing to burn me in hell for eternity because of the way he created me. No thanks. What a shitty god that would be.

We have a tendency to conflate the bible with religion. Religion is a belief and worship in a God. The Bible is believed to be a book inspired by him.
The worship and how one honors said God has nothing to do (believe it or not) with the bible. Their have been thousands of Christianities based on bible teachings yet the religions are different and hold different opinions.

Their is more religion attributed to the bible than is actually in the bible.
It does not matter what is actually in the bible religion is dependent on what people want to believe. This is why Christianity constantly evolves. As cultures and ideas change so does the religion to fit the times.

Christians observe the Sabbath on the wrong day. God actually killed people in the bible for the most trivial of offenses concerning the Sabbath. There is nothing giving them permission to observe it whenever they feel like it.
Christianity claims that they believe in the bible and do. They observe any and every part as much as they wish to and ignore the rest.

The Methodist Church I associate with is completely accepting of LGTB members, not all Christians are stuck in the Bronze Age.

the meek are not humans

The same sort of cognitive dissonance that lets intelligent, otherwise-rational people believe things like the Earth is only 6,000 years old but Methuselah lived for over 1,000 of those years.

See also "Cafeteria Christianity," something that some Christians condemn, too.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13501
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.