Agnostic.com

119 15

Sin or not, if yes, why?

Why does every religious person say masturbation is a sin when there's noting written about it in the Bible and why would it be a sin if God designed me like this (so I have cravings) and also God gave me the possibility of pleasure? Answer this

Manka77 4 July 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

119 comments (76 - 100)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No sin but you should suredly know thyself!

It’s the mind-body dichotomy. It’s a bias against anything sensual and non-procreation centered.

You have to remember, the bible was written before the development of KY jelly and tissues. Men were allowed to screw anyone they wanted, and women weren't allowed to complain about it. So why waste a perfectly good boner? (I kid, but not really.)

zeuser Level 9 July 20, 2018

Its not a sin. Religious people are afraid of there bodies to some degree. Which is very sad.

Sin requires the demonstrated existence of at least one god. I am without sin (thought I do enjoy masturbating).

It's the Sir Wankalots that condemn masturbation that annoys the jizz out of me.

It s from Genesis 38:9. Read the "joeandbarb" explanation below.

I'm not sure EVERY religious person says that. But, generally speaking, religious people are afraid of their own bodies.

Its brain washing.

Focus on the Family has toned down their rhetoric on this topic considerably over the years. But here's their current "reasoning" on why masturbation should be discouraged. [focusonthefamily.com]

Fuck insane Dobson and the colt&ass he rides his alleged geebush jeehobah ghostholes upon

@Manka77
I believe that there is a passage, in the bible, about not spilling one's "seed" on the ground, but have always taken this to be a population's wish to add more people to it. At the rate the human race is growing, now, perhaps masturbation ought to be encouraged allover the place.

Be grateful for the experience of You and your opportunity to live, here, now-
God, really?

The word Sin and the word God should be placed in their rightful place, "The World of Make Believe" because they are Man Made Names.

That's a topic that actually creates a lot of atheists. Obsessive anti-masturbation and shaming because of it caused us both to doubt when we were Morning (although it was not what made us stop believing). I know several atheist former Mormons who stopped believing because of the faith's abusive treatment of people who masturbate. I also watched an interview with Guillermo del Toro where he said that Catholicism's stance on masturbation led him to stop believing.

Pratchett expressed the sentiment that sin is when you love things and use people. Right living means loving people and using things.

No sky daddy or hairy thunderer or cosmic muffin required.

There is no answer to the idiotic gawd assumptions. ...learn Atheism critical thinking while jerking off. ...belief is your first error. ...know thyself. ...27 centuries of Greek Materialist wisdom....and Onan "spilled his seed on the ground" instead of fucking his brother's widow....only Atheists READ bibles. ...believers only FONDLE a few pages

The Bible and other religions that say masturbation is a sin do so because they think it's selfish. They are correct that it's selfish, but that doesn't make it bad. Look at the Saints of the Catholic Church. How many of them are depicted with smiles? None. Suffering is the ideal in Christianity. Mother Teresa is their ideal. Someone who spent their life in misery, sacrificing herself for others. Christianity holds that sex is only for procreation, not enjoyment. It is a sick doctrine. Many of our modern ideas of sacrifice as the moral good came from Christianity and are also sick.

At one time in America circumcision was practiced to discourage masturbation. Religious nuts did this. Will they practice cutting off hands next? IDK.

In the US, amazingly extreme actions were taken to prevent masturbation. There were bed frames with handcuffs for boys, and a variation on the chastity belt for girls. Foods were created that were believed to prevent the desire to masturbate, including graham crackers and corn flakes. So not only was it not ok to have sex with someone else, it wasn't ok to have sex with your self, either. Sex was to be reserved for procreation.

@ladyprof70 Don't forget Kellogg's breakfast cereals!

They're in denial.

The sin of Onan is used a lot to justify that. He was cursed for spilling his seed on the ground rather than impregnating his brothers widow.

Exactly so as it was his job to impregnate his brother's widow. The "sin" is therefore one of greed. If Onan had of obeyed his brother's resulting children would of had an inheritance. The church world makes it all more about the seed on the ground. They need to study more. Onan was a greedy man and would inherit all his brother had unless his brother also had children.

I no longer worry about a book that is saturarted with contradictions and has god doing 99% of the evil...

Sin is imaginary just god other religious bs. They use "sin" during brain washing ceromonies(church services) to keep you in line. I'm glad I left the religious bs to be an happier and peaceful person.

Sin is a made up Christian concept with no basis in reality. I have never sinned in my life.

'Sin' doesn't exist. It was created by the same group of mentally ill people who wrote that bible. Masturbate away and often!

I was raised by super devout Christians, and I never heard of masturbation being sinful in the Bible.

Actually the whole 'it's better to let your seed end up in the belly of a whore than spill upon the ground' line is admonishment against masturbation.

2000 years ago in the deserts of the Middle East, mortality rates were high and life expectancy was low. And while genealogy was important socially and for inheritance, it's a survival strategy. If 1 in 5 children survive to adulthood, everyone needs to have five or six kids to ensure one or two adults.

And by religious rhetoric: god gave you the ability to experience that pleasure so you could deny it to yourself as proof of your devotion to God. Because he's a petty, jealous assclown with a borderline personality disorder.

hardly borderline, i would suggest way crossed the line would be more accurate

@Dippyhippy lol I don't get to determine how the DSM describes disorders, but that whole 'I'm going to test your devotion to me in bizarre ways' often gets attributed to bipolar or borderline personality disorder diagnoses.

Though I certainly agree, at the point you're demanding one of your primary supporters murder his child to prove he loves you, you might just be a sociopath.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:135284
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.