Agnostic.com

8 1

What would Dr. Carl Sagan say?

Dr. Carl Sagan is a man that certainly did not think according to the times. I wonder what he would say about the flat-earthers and climate change deniers?

sciteachmd 6 Jan 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Climate change is real it has been occurring since the planets inception. I fear that the reasons are misconstrued for political gain. The earth travels around the sun the sun also travels it has a ellipse and orbit just as all things in space do. So now imagine that the earth path is not a constant and at times it is farther away from the sun say this happens every so many million years. Well then the same would be vice versa it would travel closer making it hotter.

Whatever he would say, he would do it with class, dignity, and impeccable reason.

Once again, I am reminded of the words of Bertrand Russell who said: "History is replete with men and women who have gone to their deaths for their beliefs. There is nothing new in this and it will continue into the foreseeable future. Personally, I would never die for my beliefs because, after all, I could be wrong."
It seems to me on the basis of the above statement that those who believe in a "flat earth" or deny climate change do so for a variety of beliefs that have come to form part of their identity or core belief system that has nothing to do with the facts.

I am clearly a member of the second-camp. The Earth has an atmosphere with a chance of climate. As for the flat Earthers? It is/was a demented macro-social experiment: deliberate use of words and emotive expressions to singularly isolate disturbed individuals.

His head would probably explode.

The dangers of not thinking clearly are much greater now than ever before. It's not that there's something new in our way of thinking - it's that credulous and confused thinking can be much more lethal in ways it was never before.

Carl Sagan

Carl Sagan's words are timeless.

Marz Level 7 Jan 8, 2018

Wow, it's like he predicted what was happening now.

Wow! He most certainly saw the coming of the flat eathers, climate deniers, and science sketpics.

He would encourage them to look at the science as he always did to those who took nonscientific views. I also think, but do not know for sure, that he would take a stronger line against religion. A lot has change since he passed in 1996. I think his more softly softly approach to religions, often quoted by agnostics now, would change. But who knows for sure. I miss him more than any passed scientist.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13551
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.