Agnostic.com

9 1

Does any one listen to jazz any more?

I do NOT mean smooth jazz. I mean does any listen and appreciate jazz music whether it is Trad Jazz, Big Band, Bebop, Hard Bop, Soul Jazz, Fusion Jazz, or Straight Ahead Jazz?

creative51 8 July 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Postmodern Jukebox!

Marz Level 7 July 22, 2018

Oh yeah. I especially love big bands. I love Basie, Maynard Ferguson in the 60's, Shorty Rogers, and Ted Heath.

@creative51 Definatly more than l listed. I also like Brubeck, Monk, Getz, and other combos.

Smooth jazz is an oxymoron

Coincidentally there is a Jazz festival currently where I live. There is a stage in the square of the town centre with Jazz acts playing all day and its free as well. There is also many food and drink stalls as well. Its great to see children also stopping by and appreciating the music.

Details are here if you are interested: [birminghamjazzfestival.com]

Nope - not one single person in the whole world does ... ha

Smooth jazz sucks taint cheese.

We do have a nice real jazz club here in Denver called El Chipolterpec. It was once considered to be one of the finest jazz clubs in the world. Some of the best jazz players on the planet once stopped by to jam with the house band.

Then they gentrified the neighborhood it was in and things just weren't the same after that. Great jazz needs to be played in shitty bars in rough neighborhoods. Not next door to an upscale microbrewery and a place that sells refurbished vintage furniture.

Jazz is more fun to play then listen to.

@creative51 Figured that was you as it was almost identical to your profile photo. In the Jazz world, Sax was my instrument of choice. Bassoon for orchestra and most (not jazz) bands.

@creative51 I've always had respect for the horn. I Once played in a local Elk's band. We had a half dozen impressive horn players that I sat directly in front of. One of my favourite pieces (The Light Eternal) had a percussive (as the torpedo approached the navel ship) stochastic FFF that the director encouraged maximum output from all of us. Sitting in front of the horn section was like having sharp knives of sound driven into your head followed by the crash of bass and kettle drums . . all in perfect unison. That really is a lovely peace in played correctly. After a long silence, The turmoil was placed in the hands of myself (bassoon) and a bass clarinet and we whispered the peddle noted and painfully introduced the Navy Hymn. Decades ago we played that work for an indoor pitchfork fondue for WWII Navy vets. There were about 200 in the audience but the only other sound you could hear during the Bassoon and Bass clarinet duet was the sound of a few tears striking empty plates. The standing ovation and loud applause at the end of that number was inspiring.
Although I have been paid for playing (sax), orchestra pit for Annie, I am by no stretch of the imagination good. Haven't fired up the bassoon for years. I would fail miserably for any local jams/gigs.

When I have time .

Time for me to Take Five...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:136382
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.