Agnostic.com

5 3

QUESTION Home | The Critical Thinker Academy

"Schools like to say that they teach critical thinking skills, but it's hard to take that seriously when the vast majority of students can graduate from high school and college and never be exposed to a course on logic and argument analysis, never be exposed to any serious discussion of what it means to have good reasons to believe something, and never be exposed to what scientists and philosophers have learned over 2500 years about how to reason well."

NerdyOkieDude 7 Jan 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I totally agree.As a teacher I attempt to infuse what you have mentioned into the curriculum. Education is to much about memorizing facts and figures instead of ideas and philosophies

Education has been dumbed down in the last 50 to 100 years. Too much standardized testing, too little money for school not in the burbs. Too much homework, too much desk work, not enough PE or recess, and not enough real learning.

I agree. If I read books from the late 18th century I have a hard time matching their vocabulary. The people that were educated processed a much higher standard of education than I received.

There is much to be said for teaching how to think and not what to think.

Ponder this: There are times when reinventing the wheel is a better choice than proceeding with the pattern on the shelf.

As far as My experience goes with personal, and my kids education thru 12 - I can't see any evidence to challenge what they read or are taught. I took a logic course many years ago, and it is still helpful in navigating through media and discussion of ideas to this day. Most would say you can't believe anything you hear or read, but I mostly end up hearing the news opinions from their favorite news resource. My Niseis are highly educated, but they don't challenge anything that is liberal.

This run-on sentence obscures, in my opinion, the intent. In an attempt to cut to the chase, may I assume you're attacking institutions of higher learning, across the board? And when you assert that 'the vast majority of students can graduate from high school and college' without being exposed to logic and argument analysis, upon what data is this assertion made? Whether or not I am personally inclined to accept your claim, it would, in my opinion, greatly benefit your premise if you provided sources to back up your assertions.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:13659
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.