Agnostic.com

314 12

Incest: Immoral or Moral?

I was asked this question today by a theist. If there is no God why is safe sex between brother and sister immoral to an atheist? This guy was smart to add safe sex because it closed off my avenue to argue the health issue. So, I was thinking why is it immoral if it is consensual? I understand we find it gross but is that because of Christian influence?

• 140 votes
  • 79 votes
paul1967 8 Oct 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

314 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If you question whether or not incest his moral or immoral, imagine having intercourse with your parent and you tell me. Children are born into this world with absolutely zero social networks and rely exclusively on their parents to provide safety. to betray that and use them as breeding stock is simply disgusting.I don't give a s*** what your culture says.

And what if it is not a child but an adult with an adult?

Incest is not necessarily the same as pedophilia any more than pedophilia being incest.

Incest isn't kosher because your kids will come out retarded.

You forgot the third option. Amoral.

Incest is generally inadvisable.
The Bible for the benefit of your Christian friend, is peppered with references not judge.

If you made it between consenting adults who weren't going to procreate and possibly create problems with the genetics of their offspring? Possibly okay.

But prior to adulthood? Never - no way no how.

And there lies the problem. If it's ok between adults - kids are going to say "why not us?". And some adults are going to look at kids... and... yup yikes. There you go. Sexual abuse.
(Which already happens a shit ton).

I'm ok with leaving incest taboos just as they are for that reason.

Plus it squicks me hard - and I'm find with that. Whether it's from a Roman Catholic Upbringing or a Genetic Survival Instinct? I don't care.

(Also 2017 - how did this post reactivate? Holy hell... ) lol

1.older members of a family have a position of power over younger members and abuse this power when starting a sexual relationship. This causes psychological harm.
2.It is not prudent to take the of a procreating, that would be at a genetic disadvantage and intensify genetic weakness in their gene pool.
3.Taboos exsist for many good reasons; maybe others can come up with other good reasons.

When it breaks down, morality isn’t that moral unless there’s a fundamental backing in reality. Modern day morality might ask if no one else is effected then it’s neither moral nor immoral. On a purely individual basis, it could depend on the situation. If no harm is done to the individuals involved, how could it be immoral?
But societal morality is at least partially by example. If behavior on a whole would be detrimental, and inbreeding is definitely detrimental to the overall health of a group despite some potential for positive gains, then it could be considered immoral based on established norms or by setting bad example. If everyone or at least a significant percentage of a population indulge in such behavior it would hurt the health of the population as a whole. If a society establishes a rule overall everyone should follow it. Emmanuel Cant made a philosophical argument that morality existed based on a somewhat different argument but I feel like this is where it might have evolved.

Good question! A stellar example of why I love this site! And great responses. Thoughtful, intelligent. I have to throw my vote in with those who state morality is subjective to the time and culture it's being judged by. Incest was completely acceptable in the past for specific reasons. But I think it evolved into an archaic practice, and then demonized, again for specific reasons, such as the high chance of unfortunate offspring. Most of us, including myself think it's pretty sketchy in today's culture. I'd like to blame just religions for the taboo, but there are other, equally important factors.

We end up with far too many stupid people when they keep screwing their siblings....

That was the only way isolated tribes multiplied - immorality came later as developed.

Brother /sister marriages were common enough in some "royal" cultures, (for ex. ancient Egypt). Apparently their God's didn't have a problem with it. Although recessive genetics can be a b****.

Equine, canine and poultry breeders call it line breeding and it has caused genetic disorders. Ever bragged on your purebred puppy without questioning how it was produced?
First cousins marrying, for example Queen Victoria's progeny promoted hemophilia in her line. I believe whether something is moral or immoral has more to do with what particular society and time you are in.
We invented religion to help enforce rules against conduct that was seen as negative. We invented the gods for our own purposes. Back before we had science it could actually have some positive benefits to society. Or not.

What is morality? If you commit it and don't know, then most people today would say, ugh, so what. The ancient Greeks, Oedipus, would punish you. It is a man made construct and not good scientifically for reproduction of the species. AND, personally, i would gag to do it. But if it isn't rape in any form, I'll keep my mouth shut.

Morality is a man made construct. It doesn't exist on its own. Incest is present in animals and I'm guessing in pre-historic societies too. But they also had other bad practices too like rape, pedophilia, etc.
In a just society, where no one is exploited, where there is no age or power imbalance, such an act will not be unethical or immoral like you said.

Ashu Level 2 Jan 22, 2019

Because it's just sick and wrong.

Why is it wrong. You say it's wrong but you don't back it up.

I was a psychiatric RN for over 30 years and abuse of women and children was my main area of expertise but I have to recuse myself in part. If not sn act of aggression, and consensual that can be different although I might have difficulty endorsing it. I would have gone to bed with my cousin in a minute although we haven’t been in touch. Never my sibs and by the way I’m not a Christian... however I might hop on to bed with you as you are very attractive and sexy

Does it cause suffering? If it does not then its moral. Might be hard to explain to the neighbors but if its consensual sex between adults and there won't be any dodgy offspring then why not?

Mare Level 4 Jan 18, 2019

That’s an if, then structure. No suffering=morality. I need to ponder that. You added consensual which may dot the eye. I was sexually attracted to my beautiful cousin for years but never gave sleeping with her any real thought. I have a male friend who has gone, in recent years , to bed with her( cuz) asked me later on what I thought of this. “You’re my dear friend and I accept that which you are” He’s response” boy I needed that and I needed to tell you”

Morality is a subjective term dependent upon the predominate views of the society or group within which the action is being judged. In my group of one, it is moral. If my group were larger I might have to change my answer, but I would have to know the disposition of the group. I might add that it would need to be a unanimous answer amongst the group.

There is a cultural taboo against incest not a religious taboo although in the bible belt of the USA marriage between first cousins seems to be common. The set up of most social animals makes incest uncommon. eg male hyenas will move to another group to mate. Some bird species eg swans mate for life so incest is unlikely.

It may be that we have several questions that apply and are being confused.

1. Is it a good idea for the individuals?, for example, when (if?) they move on to new partners they “divorce” . Will they have problems adjusting? They will have little if the support available to married couples.
  2. Is it legal? Cultures wind up on many sides of this one.
  3. Is it a good idea for society? Will it lead to clans, as happened in rural WV for instance?
  4. Is it a good thing for the family? I would put in the slippery slope (gateway to father-daughter sex) in this item.
  5. If they do have children who continue the “tradition” genetic defects will pop up.

Which of these apply to a definition of “moral”? And there may be many others.

I know in many old cultures it was actually quite common, but due to the health issues it usually lead to collapsing dynasties.

Don’t worry about health, although DNA can be an issue . It never applied to me with my neuclear family no thoughts ever but I had a cousin ... wow. Go luck sorting this out

There's no morality about it. Its just fucked up. It has so many genetic and medical downsides that I would never condone it. But i think 2 consenting adults should be able to do what ever they want as long as it doesnt harm others

There's no morality about it. Its just fucked up. It has so many genetic and medical downsides that I would never condone it. But i think 2 consenting adults should be able to do what ever they want as long as it doesnt harm others

I don't think there is anything unethical about it as long precautions not to have children are done. I think to have children with a relative is extremely selfish and unethical due to the high genetic problems risks. I really think that anyone who is in a incestual relationship should commit to being willing to have an abortion if that situation arises. Of course there are other measures to prevent childbirth , but if they don't work an abortion should be had.

Ruins the sister-brother relationship, one that is based on traditional values excluding religious beliefs.

How so?

It is immoral because it will lead to children with genetic deformitys

Well the hypothetical says that they are practicing safe sex and I suspect that even if pregnancy was impossible you might still find it immoral. The question is to figure out why it's immoral. Is it cultural bias or is it truly immoral. I don't see it as a moral question I think it's just wise not to for emotional reasons

@paul1967 I know I would find it too uncomfortable myself but I suppose I could not say it was immoral as that would be placing restrictions on others. I am pretty much of the viewpoint that any consensual acts between two adults is okay.

@mooredolezal Agreed, I'm 100% behind your statement.

Rarely if any : CF is autosomal dominatant , that a problem

@paul1967 no in that case I would not.

@paul1967, @Millerski25 I've heard both sides and I am of the opinion that if there is an unreasonable risk of deformity then no, otherwise yes. Safe sex would negate this issue. However, I would never deny people the right to make their own decisions as long as they were consenting adults. To me it is a health issue, not one of morality.

@paul1967 good logic and debate... return to the question at hand... nicely done. Red herring syndrome

@Millerski25 thanks

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1366
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.